The Russia-Ukraine War has begun

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Half of them are just clowning, I'm sure.
Considering that I legit got marked off on a college paper on music theory because I use british spellings about half the time [and I honestly couldn't say which ones without a spell checker [which we didn't have then], and my professor's ex spouse was english..... yeah.

• 1WTF??
Reactions: Grandma Bates

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I get a lot of international students, and some come from places where English is taught using English spelling. I don't take points off if it is well written, especially since when they go back to their home country that is what they will use.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Hooray to the Netherlands: The Dutch have stopped a Russian spy posing as a Brazilian intern from infiltrating the International Criminal Court, which is investigating war crimes in Ukraine.

The Russian, identified as Sergey Vladimirovich Cherkasov, 36, flew to the Netherlands in April using an elaborate deep cover story that he had built up over the past 12 years.

But Dutch authorities said they saw through his fake identity as 33-year-old Brazilian citizen named Viktor Muller Ferreira, and unmasked him as an agent of Moscow's GRU military intelligence.

Cherkasov was put on the next flight back to Brazil, where police said he was arrested for identity fraud.

The Dutch said Cherkasov could have accessed "highly valuable" intelligence on the ICC's probe into war crimes in Ukraine or even influenced criminal proceedings at the Hague-based tribunal.

The head of the Dutch General Intelligence and Security Service, or AIVD, said it was "very rare" to catch a Russian agent "of this calibre".

"The GRU has spent years creating this fake identity. It's an enormous effort," Erik Akerboom was quoted as saying by the Dutch ANP news agency.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Johnson is considerably more popular in Ukraine than he is in his own country, I think. I just wish he'd volunteer to join the Ukraine defence forces.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Johnson is considerably more popular in Ukraine than he is in his own country, I think. I just wish he'd volunteer to join the Ukraine defence forces.
I believe Johnson automatically becomes less popular in any country when he is actually there. The only reason he is so unpopular in the UK is the amount of time he spends there.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So, obviously not living in this reality then - because even if Russia somehow managed to take the country, Ukraine is not going to give in. And it really does not look like that's even likely to happen.

Probably a very bad mistake. I wish I could remember the treat I saw yesterday, but A retired Admiral from the US who was part of NATO said this would be a very unwise move.

Personally, I think we should send in elite troops to rescue all the prisoners of war, the protesters in prison, and any other wrongfully detained people. But yeah, I know not the wise decision [but I'm at the point of I'm not willing to quash my ideals, even if they are unrealistic].

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU