The resource drain of mesh

Gear

Resident Anime
SL Rez
Amen re: Materials.

Now if I could just get material appliers to work on the Lara I'd be all set.

Edit: A bit of clarification/updating. I now can get materials to apply, but the Lara appears to reset materials when you apply any other skin.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: EmpressOfCommunism

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Every time I say you probably need to update your rig or get a new laptop to people for other games that are demanding I get met with "sucks but okay", but when I say it to people about Sl, I always get so much push back.
There's a couple of reasons for this. First is that a lot of SL users are not gamers and not always used to the idea that as game graphics improve it requires more powerful hardware. The second reason is that when you tell this to people regarding games, it's for newer games with substantially better graphics. When you tell this to people in SL, you're telling them to get better hardware to run something their current computer used to run just fine, and they're not always likely to see any real graphical improvement compared to when SL ran better on their current hardware.

It's also worth noting that if a new game came out and ran really poorly for everyone due to the game itself being very amateurishly made, (ie: crazy high-poly character models using half a gig worth of textures each) the "buy a better computer" comments would be met with a lot more ridicule than that sort of comment receives in SL.

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
Sl is pretty much the only reason I don't just get the cheapest computer when I need to upgrade. This one was about £700 and I took advice on graphics cards and those RAM things that do whatever it is that they do, etc. I'm not a gamer, I play Sims 4 and that's about it. Getting an expensive new setup every year or so just for SL isn't really that appealing to most people, plus a lot of us just dislike being told "buy a new one" like money just magically appears when you need it.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The second reason is that when you tell this to people regarding games, it's for newer games with substantially better graphics. When you tell this to people in SL, you're telling them to get better hardware to run something their current computer used to run just fine, and they're not always likely to see any real graphical improvement compared to when SL ran better on their current hardware.
:qft:

Also, what Chav said above applies as well. Idk where the "just buy a new one lololololol" people come from, but where most of us live money doesn't grow on trees. It's a scarce and precious resource that actually needs to be justified why it's being spent on a gamer rig which costs a months' rent just to see the same shit my current computer used to see just fine a year ago. (repeating Penny's point there for added emphasis simply because it's something that is not emphasized enough in these conversations)

That shit is insane, and if anyone thinks that's at all reasonable I'd sincerely appreciate it if you'd pass what you're smoking over in this direction.