The Race Against Deepfakes

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
When you know how it works you can train a neural net to duplicate it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That's how deepfake AI has been trained so far - but as you can see, it's still flawed enough to notice.

This is another reason I'm not concerned. Deepfake AI may get better and better over time but I don't see a reason to think it will ever outpace deepfake-detection AI, which would get just as better over just as much time.

Sid

Boooooh!!!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It is not about if it will be detected. It is about how many harm is there done before the deepfake is detected and stopped spreading (if possible at all). News and fake news travel with the speed of light (fiberglass) around the globe. And can be trending within a blink of the eye.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Shouldn't be surprised that someone made it but it seems extraordinary that, having made it, they were then surprised when they put it online for $50 a time (so not cheap) and people objected.

Bleh.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Some fraudsters faked a CEO's voice, to get a manage to transfer a six digit amount of US dollars:

My stance on it: the technical feat is impressive, but the root problem is not the fake, but the total absence of any security policy for such requests.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I suppose they're going to have put public keys in the metadata with source tracking or something along that line, and any media without the properly formatted and secured metadata will be inadmisible in courts. Won't THAT be fun!

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I suppose they're going to have put public keys in the metadata with source tracking or something along that line, and any media without the properly formatted and secured metadata will be inadmisible in courts. Won't THAT be fun!
You digitally sign a video using a hash of the contents and your public key. That establishes where the data came from. Any changes to the file, like replacing faces, changes the content hash, so the signature won't match. Unsigned media is treated as hearsay. It's not technically difficult, but nobody is really set up to do it yet.