OIC it's funny.

But it's also true.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
About a week ago, my friend began reading "The Exorcist".
She said it was the most evil book she'd ever read. So evil,
in fact, that she couldn't finish it. She took it over to the beach
and threw it into the ocean off a fishing pier. I went and
bought another copy, ran the faucet over it, and left it in the
night table drawer by her bed.

I'm going to hell.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The Latin "mille" means thousand. The Roman mile was a thousand paces of marching soldiers, and they placed mile markers so they knew how far they marched that day. Our conventional " statute mile" is of course based on that. A 'pace" is two steps (left-right-left), and in fact I can pace off distances outside fairly accurately at 5 feet per pace.

Where we screwed up is mixing that with the foot, which is based, not surprisingly, on the length of a shod human foot. Other body measurements are the fathom (two arms fingertip-to-fingertip), yard (nose to fingertip), ell or cubit (elbow to fingertip) and span (thumb to middle fingertip). These have the convenient property of each being twice the previous one: 6 ft, 3 ft, 18 inches, 9 inches. In an era when few people could read, and measuring tapes didn't exist, using your body to measure things was handy.

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The metric system is so much easier in use when one has to calculate.
But the result in the end is the same, one should measure twice before using the saw.

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The metric system is so much easier in use when one has to calculate.
But the result in the end is the same, one should measure twice before using the saw.
I spent a good portion of my driving career hauling to Canada, I have no trouble doing the math in my head. What throws me off, since I don't use it all the time, I have hard visualizing it. 100 Kilometres don't mean a thing to me, but as soon I get it converted to 62 miles (I usually round to 60) then I get a feel for how far it is.