• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
What the hell? To take a random example, ask trans people separated from the military if things are better for them. The LCR are just a bunch of quislings.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Color me not surprised.
Although this takes it to be levels of WTF.
I guess they don't consider ending DOMA as supporting gay marriage, but all the ways 45 has allowed people to discriminate against it are.
Up is down, left is right, freedom is slavery.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
The LCR are just a bunch of quislings.
Yes, now they are. But I think it's a funny and sad thought that, that wasn't always so...

It's easy to forget that when the log cabin republicans began, the republican party really wasn't anymore hostile to gay rights than the democrats. Plenty of southern, bible belt, christian conservatives were democrats as the southern strategy of Nixon wasn't complete yet. For all his faults, Berry Goldwater was very hostile to the moral majority and resisted that take over as he could. Also, for many years, mainstream democrats were refusing to commit to to any support of gay rights beyond what the Republicans would do. John Kerry chickened out of supporting the gay community big time. Even Obama wasn't much of an ally at first.

I still remember fondly how during the 2012 election cycle, Romney was clear he'd not want gay marriage, while Obama was making a very hand wavy appeal to how his stance was "evolving." I was still a loony libertarian back then, but that was the first time I think I had a strong preference for one major party over the other. I think deciding that I actually liked Obama then was a big step towards me becoming a democrat.

Much has changed since the Log Cabin Republicans started. Being a gay republican now is incredibly absurd.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Much has changed since the Log Cabin Republicans started. Being a gay republican now is incredibly absurd.
Hmm, something about your timeline seems off to me. In 2000-2001 I worked in an office with one other LGBTQ person other than me: an Hispanic gay woman who voted Republican. I remember being absolutely appalled at the time. And I wasn't very political back then, nowhere near as radicalized as I am now. I also remember how she mentioned (somewhat defensively) that all her gay friends were giving her shit for being a Republican. And reaching beyond that, back to my days in New York City -- which would be the 1980s -- I can remember a gay co-worker uneasily apologizing for his boyfriend, who was a Republican and could get really obnoxious about it when he had one drink too many.

So from my perspective, being a gay Republican has been a red flag for at least 4 decades.... oh wait, now I remember why!

Because Republicans were already being absolute shits about working class issues, women's issues, civil rights issues, and everything else that wasn't to the benefit of privileged white people. Judging them just on the GOP attitudes towards gay people is a pretty narrow perspective.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Judging them just on the GOP attitudes towards gay people is a pretty narrow perspective.
Oh, I agree with you. But I was deliberately only talking about gay issues in my post, since an LGBTQ person can still be a douche. But even douche bags normally look out for their own self interests. In 1977, when the log cabin republicans started, it wasn't clearly more self destructive to be a gay republican than any other kind of republican. If you were white, and well off, being a republican could appear to be in your self interest, even if you were gay. That hasn't been true at least since Obama.

I do remember gay groups at my college being very, VERY anti Bush, but that was more because of the war than gay issues. Bush was hostile to the gay community, but Kerry refused to stick his neck out for any pro gay policies.