netflix The Great British Baking Show - 2020

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
I've mentioned the BBC (originally) and then Netflix program in the Coping with the Pandemic thread and/or Nobody Cares. It's been a staple of our evening fare for months, as we went back to the originals on PBS (on demand) and then to the new cast with the switch to Netflix. Between PBS, Prime, and Netflix, we finally reached the end of 2019's episodes last month. We were bereft.

Surely, like so many other programs, the Baking Show would have to cancel this year?

Nope.

Using the same general plan as the NBA, they created a "bubble" for the contestants, crew, and cast. Everyone who accepted agreed to quarantine first, (test) and stay in a local hotel isolated from others for the duration. Not sure yet if you're permitted to leave (we think so) when you don't "go through" to the next round.

It's completely unimportant, requires no attention to plot, and has bakers you become surprisingly attached to emotionally as their numbers dwindle. It isn't much, but like Hope fluttering in the bottom of Pandora's box, I'll take it as a sign 2020 has begun to turn slowly better.

BAKE!!!

• 1Yay!
  • 1Like
Reactions: Khamon and Pancake

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I love this show and was inexplicably excited when they made a Canadian version. Like we’d arrived.

• 1Like
Reactions: Roxanne Blue

Sid

Searching for words
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
There is a Dutch version too and I think it is even slightly better than the British original, because we have a little more down to earth but witty show host.
There is even a child version over here.
I find it a very enjoyable TV format.