The GOP won't give up

Cindy Claveau

SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Despite losing the popular vote twice, losing the White House, losing popular support for Jan. 6 and losing both houses of Congress there's just no quit in these people. Now, they're deploying "persuasion machines"

Inside a stealth ‘persuasion machine’ promising Republican victories in 2022

(Sorry about the Paywall!)

Titled Arise Ohio, the Facebook page is the creation of the American Culture Project — a nonprofit whose website says its mission is to “empower Americans with the tools and information necessary to make their voices heard in their local communities, statehouses and beyond.”
Undisclosed on the Facebook page is the nonprofit’s partisan goal. Arise Ohio and similar sites aimed at other politically pivotal states are part of a novel strategy by a little-known, Republican-aligned group to make today’s GOP more palatable to moderate voters ahead of the 2022 midterms by reshaping the “cultural narrative” on hot-button issues.

That goal, laid out in a private fundraising appeal sent last month to a Republican donor and reviewed by The Washington Post, relies on building new online communities that can be tapped at election time, with a focus on winning back Congress in 2022.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
They always manage to put their foot in it.
Republicans assume people are dumb. Come election season, I can always tell which party's ad is on by the narration. The Republican ads always have this patronizing female voice talking to the voters as if they were children. Any point they want to make is done in a very heavy handed fashion. Subtlety is not their strong point. So I doubt if their "stealth" tactics are as stealthy as they think they are.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Right now the little bit of conservative media that I've heard seems to be harping on the border and China.

With the border, it's about the inevitable increase in border-crossings and apprehensions, especially of minors, after Trump's departure. Con-media says that this is because "Biden reversed all of Trump's policies", which isn't actually true; in fact Biden has changed very little aside from accepting and releasing some families with very young children pending their asylum hearings. Most individuals and families by far are still being sent back to Mexico within hours under the COVID protection policy . Con-media characterizes the increase in traffic as the Biden administration creating a humanitarian crisis after Trump had the border problem, as one commentator put it, "completely under control". They are very heavily pushing that "these people are bringing diseases and COVID", because, you know, COVID is a threat to national security. Not enough of one to justify mask-tyranny, though - don't go thinking that!

On China the message is a bit more mixed. Con-media expected Biden to have a reconciliatory approach toward China and so had primed itself to insinuate that Biden is a handled Chinese stooge. But the Biden administration has...actually been kind of antagonistic toward China? I mean to the point of the Chinese government actually making defensive press statements, which kind of ruins the story con-media had been building. Like, they're so invested in the daily anti-China coverage that they can't just stop doing it suddenly, but they also can't criticize Biden's state department for anything because their whole thing all along was that "the US should be calling the Chinese government out for the Uyghers and Hong Kong and this and that" and well that's exactly what State has done. It's created this weird situation where con-media clearly wants to go on a "how dare you take our advice" tear against Biden on China but can't figure out how to do it; they tried a few weak-kneed complaints that State's messages were recklessly provocative and could "start a war", but I guess that criticism didn't prove popular because it didn't go anywhere and has largely died out. It is fun, though, watching the nationalist, anti-global media in the US pretend to care about China persecuting and possibly genociding Muslims, and anti-mask, anti-vax COVID-hoaxers rattling on about how China needs to be "held accountable" for COVID escaping from a "Chinese virus-lab", even though it's "no worse than a mild flu".

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Complaining that large numbers of people are trying to travel north from Mexico and points south, or from Africa into Europe, is like complaining that rivers flow into the sea, or that the climate is what it is. People move where they need to.

It is how the world is. Obviously the issues that cause people to need to relocate en masse need addressing, since it may be there's something gone badly wrong back home that makes them want to move, but otherwise, it's happening and will continue to happen, and you have to manage the consequences.

This is how history works.

Ranma Tardis

Ad Astra per Aspera
SL Rez
Think a person would have to be really desperate to want to sneak into the USA. The "land of the free" is more like the land of the fee. I can understand a refugee wanting to go to Canada or the EU.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Sadly a lot of people, especially poorer people, have an impression of the US that doesn't align with reality and that the US frankly doesn't deserve. It was inevitable that when Trump left, rumors were going to spread among potential migrants that the tough restrictions on the border were being lifted. But, again, the actual policy changes have been few. Positive, I think, but few (the current administration is kind of disappointing me that way in this area).

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Right now the little bit of conservative media that I've heard seems to be harping on the border and China.

With the border, it's about the inevitable increase in border-crossings and apprehensions, especially of minors, after Trump's departure. Con-media says that this is because "Biden reversed all of Trump's policies", which isn't actually true; in fact Biden has changed very little aside from accepting and releasing some families with very young children pending their asylum hearings. Most individuals and families by far are still being sent back to Mexico within hours under the COVID protection policy . Con-media characterizes the increase in traffic as the Biden administration creating a humanitarian crisis after Trump had the border problem, as one commentator put it, "completely under control". They are very heavily pushing that "these people are bringing diseases and COVID", because, you know, COVID is a threat to national security. Not enough of one to justify mask-tyranny, though - don't go thinking that!

On China the message is a bit more mixed. Con-media expected Biden to have a reconciliatory approach toward China and so had primed itself to insinuate that Biden is a handled Chinese stooge. But the Biden administration has...actually been kind of antagonistic toward China? I mean to the point of the Chinese government actually making defensive press statements, which kind of ruins the story con-media had been building. Like, they're so invested in the daily anti-China coverage that they can't just stop doing it suddenly, but they also can't criticize Biden's state department for anything because their whole thing all along was that "the US should be calling the Chinese government out for the Uyghers and Hong Kong and this and that" and well that's exactly what State has done. It's created this weird situation where con-media clearly wants to go on a "how dare you take our advice" tear against Biden on China but can't figure out how to do it; they tried a few weak-kneed complaints that State's messages were recklessly provocative and could "start a war", but I guess that criticism didn't prove popular because it didn't go anywhere and has largely died out. It is fun, though, watching the nationalist, anti-global media in the US pretend to care about China persecuting and possibly genociding Muslims, and anti-mask, anti-vax COVID-hoaxers rattling on about how China needs to be "held accountable" for COVID escaping from a "Chinese virus-lab", even though it's "no worse than a mild flu".
If one of those clowns told my friend who lost her dad to COVID that it was "no worse than a mild flu", there'd have to be a cleanup crew called to sweep up the pieces.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Has anyone actually examined why people are moving north in such numbers right now? I mean, there is a non-zero possibility, to put it no higher, that they're moving to escape famine, drought, civil war, banditry, organised crime and state terrorism back home rather than in response to local political events in the US.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Has anyone actually examined why people are moving north in such numbers right now? I mean, there is a non-zero possibility, to put it no higher, that they're moving to escape famine, drought, civil war, banditry, organised crime and state terrorism back home rather than in response to local political events in the US.
The early days: Banana Massacre - Wikipedia play a part too, I'm sure.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The convoys are also the consequences of US investment and foreign policy in the region, be it support for particular regimes or those in rebellion against other regimes, or promoting trade and economic policies that inevitably result large numbers of small farmers, peasants and labourers being driven off their land. They have to go somewhere.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Yeah the motives for human migration are complicated and it can't be simplified to any one country's border policy.

Probably the safest way to simplify it if one absolutely has to is that like a giant collective middle-finger to Adolf Fick, humans tend to flow toward money and resources. And everyone knows who in a given region has those.

This is true on all scales too, by the way, and is literally the same reason urbanization exists.