amazon The Expanse, season 5

Lucifer

Gonnae no dae that, jist gonnae no.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
in the dimdark days of prehistory
Ya lik pashang.

This is the season where shit REALLY kicks off.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sean Gorham

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
What is The Expanse?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Du Ferí da Belte!

• 1Like
Reactions: Lucifer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
What is The Expanse?
The Expanse is a hard SciFi TV show, showing a possible not so far away future of mankind which is rather grim than shiny. Earth is overpopulated with roughly 30 billion people, 50% of the people having no job but UBI. Ruling body of the Earth is the UN, which also has its own space force.

The rest of the solar system has been colonized, with Mars being in the mid of terraforming and around 4 billion people, but severed ties to Earth. Mars is losely modeled after the old Rome, and Earth and Mars are more or less hostile against each other.

Third fraction are the belters, people who live in the asteroid belts, mining stuff for Earth and Mars. Due to being exposed to low gravity for a whole life, most of them cannot walk on Earth at all.

As said earlier it's hard SciFi: Earth has no FTL engines yet, and only colonized the solar system. Space ships actually do turn around after having reached 50% of their distance in order to decelerate until their target. If the camera is outside a spaceship and there's a battle, you will hear no noise. There is no artificial gravity like in Star Trek, no inertness dampers, no teleporters, and so on and on... instead a very accurate depiction of gravity in space and other planets. Also no FTL communication technology, so the farer away from home planet so the longer an answer takes.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Lucifer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I wonder how much of the decision to end with Babylon's Ashes was linked to the findings of the third party investigation into Anvar. The creep has tarnished the show with his predation, and I'm sure it's only because Bezos is a fan of the books they're getting a season 6 at all.

Fuck you Cas Anvar for killing the best SF show in decades.

At least we still have the books.

• 1Wow!
Reactions: Isabeau

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
My wife and I were looking for a new series to watch in the early evening before we each go off to do our own thing, and this seemed very promising. But... we never made it through the first episode. We didn't find a single character interesting or likeable and some of the world-building choices set our teeth on edge. Given the critical acclaim, I may give it another chance when I'm on my own, but my first impression was not good.

Lucifer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I wonder how much of the decision to end with Babylon's Ashes was linked to the findings of the third party investigation into Anvar. The creep has tarnished the show with his predation, and I'm sure it's only because Bezos is a fan of the books they're getting a season 6 at all.

Fuck you Cas Anvar for killing the best SF show in decades.

At least we still have the books.
James SA Corey official twitter says Anvar wasn't a factor... he's still a cunt though.

There appear to be hints regarding 7 to 9 being done as a movie, or series of movies.

Let's hope.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Lucifer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
My wife and I were looking for a new series to watch in the early evening before we each go off to do our own thing, and this seemed very promising. But... we never made it through the first episode. We didn't find a single character interesting or likeable and some of the world-building choices set our teeth on edge. Given the critical acclaim, I may give it another chance when I'm on my own, but my first impression was not good.
watch til season 1 episode 4... If the episode CQB doesn't draw you in, you will be dead to me.

:p

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Yeah it took me several episodes to get into it. I think it took episode 4 or 5. If it didn't interest me by then I was going to quit watching.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
All the zooming around and police procedural stuff on Ceres, space office politics on the Canterbury, and Earth's dirty politics in episode 1 bothered me at first, but the show basically carried me through with this image:

That sequence with Julie Mao floating in zero-gee with all that hair told me something might be different about this SCI-FI show.

It definitely starts out slow, taking its time to set up the world, or rather worlds, we find ourselves in. Once that's in the background, I think it gets pretty amazing.

• 1Like
Reactions: Lucifer

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
watch til season 1 episode 4... If the episode CQB doesn't draw you in, you will be dead to me.
It definitely starts out slow, taking its time to set up the world, or rather worlds, we find ourselves in. Once that's in the background, I think it gets pretty amazing.
I'm not doubting the quality of the show itself -- having not seen more than a 1/2 episode, I'll take everyone else's word for that -- but whether or not I like a "good" show is dependent on subjective factors. I can admire a creative work without actually liking it enough to sit down to watch several seasons of it.

Based on the first episode and clips, I didn't see any sign of the aspects that I enjoy, certainly not enough to keep me engaged. It also had a few dodgy SF tropes that drive me up the wall, but don't seem to bother other people. Doesn't mean the show is bad, it just means it's not a good fit for me.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It took a pretty long time, but I did come to like the characters, which is usually essential for me to like something. I did find much of the plot and premise confusing, but I still liked it.

ETA I started reading the synopsis of an episode before watching so I knew what was going on.

Last edited:

Lucifer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Earth.... fucked

Mars... fucked

Lucifer

SL Rez
Joined SLU