The Death of the Grand Old Party

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Since it's pretty much the Trump Party now and Republicanism (the voting label, not the political ideology) has been taken off life support, it seems at least a few conservatives want to plan the Republican Party's funeral.

Tom Nichols:

Jennifer Rubin:
Seven reasons to vote every Republican out of office

So: burial, cremation, or shoot it out of a cannon?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's amazing to see someone like Rubin making the same argument I've heard myself - a horrible liberal commie - make many times.

There is no doubt that if President Barack Obama had committed any of these offenses and Democrats had been as derelict in their constitutional and moral duties as Republicans, the entire right-wing media and political universe would have called for Obama’s impeachment and removal, and for the defeat of every spineless member of his party. Over and over again, Republicans’ hunger to retain power at all costs has triumphed over their obligations to their fellow citizens. They have put Americans’ lives and the nation’s democracy itself at risk. In doing so, they have lost the moral authority to hold power. All of them.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Don't sell the bear's hide until it is shot, that's a Dutch saying.
I think the English equivalent is: Let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

Trump is still not without a chance in this race. Yes, things look good, but so did HRC until a few weeks before the elections.
And the GOP is so woven into the US society, they last at least more than a generation to come as the counterweight for the Dems in US politics.

Last edited:

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Trump is still not without a chance in this race. Yes, things look good, but so did HRC until a few weeks before the elections.
And the GOP is so woven into the US society, they last at least more than a generation to come as the counterweight for the Dems in US politics.
The level of cheating we are about to see is going to make 2016 look like child's play. Trump is lockstep with Russia right now and who knows how many third parties he's got his thumb on with promises of rewards and retribution from the US if they play ball or not. He already got away with it once. Be ready to see truly horrific stories about Biden and Harris in the next few months and be ready for huge swaths of the American public to believe them.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Trump is still not without a chance in this race.
Trump doesn't need the race to retain office de facto.

So the election coverage isn't worth spit (I'm voting, but without illusions)

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I would test their rugged individualism, rise from boot straps, and self sufficiancy abilities. Create Apollo 13 scenarios and if they can make it back, well great, otherwise they can auto-darwin themselves, just like they do to the poor.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think the English equivalent is: Let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

What is with the worrywartism?

This thread is about certain Republicans finally being honest with themselves and publically shitting on their own party because it's been sucked down into such a horrorshow of political repugnance they feel (and I agree with them) the only way out is to nuke it from orbit and start over.

Whether Trump wins or loses, that will continue to be true.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Since it's pretty much the Trump Party now and Republicanism (the voting label, not the political ideology) has been taken off life support, it seems at least a few conservatives want to plan the Republican Party's funeral.

Tom Nichols:

Jennifer Rubin:
Seven reasons to vote every Republican out of office

So: burial, cremation, or shoot it out of a cannon?
Why not both?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I did say 'Yes' as a response...... you know as in 'why not all three.'

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Free

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

HRC did look like an easy victory. Only problem is, she carried a lot of political baggage, and the Republicans expertly trotted those out at just the right times to spoil her chances. Biden doesn't have that luggage. His entire political career has been pretty much without scandal. I mean, sure, there's his son Hunter's connections in the Ukraine, and the GOP eagerly trotted that out already, but that turned into a big nothingburger; the voters didn't care. I don't think we're going to see any earth-shaking October surprises where Biden is concerned. Trump, on the other hand, may be mortally wounded, and it's not even October yet, as revelation upon revelation comes out. His base may not care at all about these things, but they've gotten the average, non-cult voters' attention.

The polls are in Biden's favor. Whether they are in his favor in the right places (ie. battleground states) is still too close to call, and that's what has me distressed. I don't think we're going to see another 2016, but the current margins aren't anywhere near as wide as they should be. Biden may well win both the popular and electoral contests, but if it's not decisive enough - it would almost have to be a landslide - then Trump and his base could challenge the election and refuse to concede, basically throwing the decision to the Supreme Court, and that would likely not go well.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Fionalein

danielravennest

SLU Posts
then Trump and his base could challenge the election and refuse to concede, basically throwing the decision to the Supreme Court, and that would likely not go well.
Refusing to concede is irrelevant. States control elections. Each state will certify the election results, and eventually send their electoral votes to be counted by the House of Representatives. What Trump & Co. would have to do is *contest* the results with the states and the courts, before the electoral votes are sent. After that it's too late. Just yelling "voter fraud" won't be enough. They will have to provide actual evidence of fraud, or some reason to do a recount or invalidate some votes.

I do think it likely it will take a few days to get the final results in, rather than late Tuesday night. Absentee/mail-in ballots take longer to count, and there will be a lot more of them than normal.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I begin to suspect he is playing on time and sacrificing his so called base. Make enough of those idiots go to jail for double vote and he has reasonable "evidence" to doubt the vote... he will claim those criminals have voted for Biden - who else would they vote for - they are convicted fraudsters after all.

:catspin: