Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Sid

Searching for words
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The biggest party in NL are the liberals.
NL considers them central right, not as conservative as the British Tories though.
In the USA our liberals would be filed under commies I guess. Our left parties would be of the chart.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
dIvErSiTy
Liberals will scream about wanting representation of minorities from the LGBT Community or non Christian religeons or women, but where is the demmand for representation from Murderers????

We are a diverse nation, doesn't everyone get a voice?????

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The old guard is starting to exit the building.

Dozens of officials from ex-President George W. Bush’s administration say that the GOP’s fealty to former President Donald Trump, even after he incited the deadly Capitol siege, is driving them away from the party, according to Reuters.

Jimmy Gurulé, who served as the Treasury Department’s undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, told Reuters that “[t] Republican Party as I knew it no longer exists.”

“I’d call it the cult of Trump,” he said.

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
The Whigs were basically the "I hate Andrew Jackson" party, and were surprisingly effective given they survived his death by ten years and change.
Most importantly, they were weak on slavery. That spelled their doom more than any other stand before the Civil War.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
Or understand international politics [I more mean my spouse, but I do understand that the so-called radical left is really somewhere center, or even sometimes right of center, anymore.
I only hear "radical left" from those I consider "radical right". For myself and most of my RL friends, "liberal" just means we believe that the government should protect and enable the "little guys" - eg, most of the population to the exclusion of the wealthy. That includes a national health insurance, income equality, generous pandemic relief, etc, over Defense.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
The Whigs imploded over slavery but reorganized in the North into the Free Soil Party and then the Republican Party.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I only hear "radical left" from those I consider "radical right". For myself and most of my RL friends, "liberal" just means we believe that the government should protect and enable the "little guys" - eg, most of the population to the exclusion of the wealthy. That includes a national health insurance, income equality, generous pandemic relief, etc, over Defense.
"Radical left" in US political terms is "mainstream centre-right" in most industrialised countries.

Back when I was a student in the 1970s, I had a white South African friend there who had been active in Helen Suzman's Progressive Party, and was an equally active member of our university Conservative Association when I knew him.

I well remember him explaining to me that "If you want to know how fucked up my country's politics are, remember that someone like me, to the right of Margaret Thatcher [she had just been elected as party leader for the first time], has to call himself a 'progressive' and BOSS think I'm a dangerous communist. If they think I'm progressive, imagine what our conservatives are like!"

Over the last few years in particular, the US has sometimes reminded me of that conversation a lot.

Last edited:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Cancer can kill ya.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) blasted Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-GA) embrace of “loony lies and conspiracy theories” as a “cancer for the Republican Party,” The Hill reports.

Said McConnell: “Somebody who’s suggested that perhaps no airplane hit the Pentagon on 9/11, that horrifying school shootings were pre-staged, and that the Clintons crashed JFK Jr.’s airplane is not living in reality.”

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Cancer can kill ya.