Terry Pratchett novels to get 'absolutely faithful' TV adaptations

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

No details yet of which novels they intend to adapt, but
Pratchett’s daughter Rhianna, a co-director of Narrativia, said on Tuesday that Motive and Endeavor Content “perfectly share our vision” of what a Discworld screen adaptation should be.

“Discworld teems with unique characters, witty narrative and incredible literary tropes, and we feel these should be realised on screen in a form that my father would be proud of,” she said.

Wilkins, Narrativia’s managing director, said the new partnership meant that Discworld had “finally found its home”.

“The Discworld books are a huge source of joy to millions of readers, and rightly so; every paragraph, phrase and footnote was crafted with brilliance and flair and we are committed to bringing Terry’s world to the screen with the respect and care it deserves,” he said.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I don't envy the task of actually making the adaptions true to their source material... I'm worried a lot of the jokes will be lost in live action and we'll end up with generic fantasy that's kind of just "silly".

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There have already been a number of adaptations of Pratchett's books, and they're not too bad ('Hogfather' is notably good). But once you've seen them you realise that they are missing one vital ingredient, which is Pratchett's own narrative voice. It is that voice that makes the books so distinctive and so good. This is not something you can capture in tv series or films, which means that they inevitably lack the most important aspect of the Discworld stories.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
...But once you've seen them you realise that they are missing one vital ingredient, which is Pratchett's own narrative voice. It is that voice that makes the books so distinctive and so good. This is not something you can capture in tv series or films, which means that they inevitably lack the most important aspect of the Discworld stories.
This is what I was saying, but you said it better. I just can't imagine how the humor and wit would translate well to a TV series. You might make a good TV series, but it won't feel like discworld.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I don't envy the task of actually making the adaptions true to their source material... I'm worried a lot of the jokes will be lost in live action and we'll end up with generic fantasy that's kind of just "silly".
Like Douglas Adams, a lot of the humor is in the wording, so I'm not sure how well it'll translate.