Tell us your Second Life enemies story

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I can't recall having any real enemies in SL but I did get involved in a rather unpleasant situation. There was a guy who was running a one-man campaign against ad-farms (remember those?) and his tactic was to put up big notices hovering above the ground displaying long messages urging Linden Lab to make it impossible to divide land into parcels smaller than 512 sq m. He put up some of these notices near my place and I can't remember how, but I got into conversation with him, saying that small plots of land had valid uses. He became very angry and insulting and accused me of being one of SL's worst land barons (or baronesses), which was completely untrue. I think he used to buy up 16 sq m plots around the grid specially to put these hovering notices on.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
A feature LL rejected because it didn’t work on curved surfaces. Exact same algorithm is used for VRChat’s mirrors and people think they are perfectly fine. They like them so much they jokingly call the game Mirror Simulator. (As opposed to SL’s Standing Simulator)
They did have a convincing if not optically correct system that worked on curved surfaces in First Look 57575. TBH I don't care which scheme they use, I just wish they'd pick up one.

Amity Slade

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
So many people seem to find their enemies in neighbors.

I've had a little mainland plot for 11+ years now. One neighbor who at first held land adjacent to one side of my plot eventually bought up all plots surrounding mine, and has banlines which annoy me because it boxes me into my own plot. It doesn't have much practical effect on me- my house is in a skybox and I don't actually encounter the banlines unless I fall off my platform or accidentally jettison an object off my land. But what if I wanted to live on the ground?

For 11+ years, I've never communicated with my neighbor or his guests, nor have I seen them (except as dots on the mini-map). They must not do any particularly laggy activities, like a sex club or animal breeding, because I've rarely experienced any lag. I've never seen any offensive structures. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen any structures on that property- he and his friends must have a skybox higher than mine. (So I understand the banlines even less.)

Hearing stories about others' experiences with their neighbors, I'll live with the banlines and consider myself lucky.

Adeon Writer

They did have a convincing if not optically correct system that worked on curved surfaces in First Look 57575. TBH I don't care which scheme they use, I just wish they'd pick up one.
I think it might be rose tinted memories, the one that worked on curves surfaces was very mathmatically incorrect, even for flat surfaces, which had no reason to be inaccurate...

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
According to Linda Kellie, I had a lame ass "dom" on OSG talk shit about me for a solid year before I even knew he existed. He was one of the sidekicks in the 2013 takeover where a bunch of us wound up getting banned basically talking about how the takeover sucked (specifically the heavy-handed way it was being done) -some of us (not me) for what we said on G+ (NOT an OSG property).

domly and I went at it tooth and nail on misc forums (OSG, HGB a couple of times) in early 2013.

In 2015 I did my hypergrid festival thing, his hostility didn't stop ppl from offering me hosting nor did it stop ppl from exhibiting either. Didn't stop people from participating in 2016, 2017 or 2018 (the final one) either.

Cliches are cliches for a reason. That experience taught me the truth of this canard:

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I think it might be rose tinted memories, the one that worked on curves surfaces was very mathmatically incorrect, even for flat surfaces, which had no reason to be inaccurate...
Yes I know it was optically incorrect. It generated a single skybox for all mirrors and projected the skybox onto all surfaces. There's no way it could be optically correct without redoing the skybox for each surface. It was only optically correct for a single view where the camera focus was on a flat surface in front of the viewer... and the camera was near the viewer's head. This was another hack to make it look almost right when you focused on a mirror.

But it was *convincing*, and it was a fairly efficient hack, and it didn't have a problem with mirrors reflecting mirrors. It was good enough.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Amelia Freund

Joined SLU
10 Sep 2007
SLU Posts
Some dude accused me of sexual age play and had it as one of his profile picks (probably still does), even though I had not a single connection to that sort of stuff, not even when my alt was a child av.

I managed to get banned from about 50 sims while I was in RL bed asleep simply for being a member of some Autism group back in 2008.
Dunno what really happened. We all got accused of being complicit in copybotting some prim skirt that turned out to be a full perm template anyway.
It's the first time in my SL (or RL for that matter) that I've made that many enemies for doing absolutely nothing lol.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I also once made an enemy without knowing it in a way similar of Amelia's with a difference that I was guilty ;) . I used to edit non-mod meshes (in mod ones I can cover faults up with textures while cannot in non-mod) in my temp files for photo purposes if there was something wrong with it. A dude asked me how and I answered and he got mad as not very honest way and that was that. Year later I found a totally personal rant about me on facebook that went for ages. I forgot contents but it was rather irrelevant to the whole topic and went on about how many alts I had (I do and the kicker is - I list them in case someone needs to contact me and dude screengrabbed my own list of them) and some other similar sins. Response was even better as people were as puzzled as me. I think dude somehow banned me from few shops at one point because what if I remove visual faults in stuff of people he knoooows but it could have been random. Yep, it was not best practice but I would have expected a ban or report or anything logical. I did not save the Facebook rant :( .

• 1Hug

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Some dude accused me of sexual age play and had it as one of his profile picks (probably still does), even though I had not a single connection to that sort of stuff, not even when my alt was a child av.
My ex-partner is occasionally accused of age play because her avatar's so short (nothing outside her height would make anyone honestly believe she's a kid, but some people look to argue at the swish of a prim). This caused a few rows with me, because if I was partnered to her, that meant they were calling me a pedo!

The only nonsense along similar lines I've found myself having to face off directly are the few times I've been accused of being a man in a woman's avatar. Rather than argue with morons, I got a t-shirt to bask in the light of the firefights:

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
My ex-partner is occasionally accused of age play because her avatar's so short
I've gotten that a couple times, because furries already tend way shorter than the seven foot standard for humans, and ferrets are small animals so having me being the size of a wolf is just ludicrous. Not even doing anything rhaphyrographic, just being in A rated sims in normal clothes. For all I know I'm still banned.

Tiffy Vella

SL Rez
There was a guy, I don't recall who he was any more, bought a parcel near my First Land and filled it with pictures of roadkill. I put up Invisiprims and waited him out.

When he abandoned his land I bought it and put a giant rabbit in it. It's still there.

Also, Noodle:

I know that rabbit well! It's a very useful landmark to get from the linden road to my place. It serves a very positive purpose :)

• 2Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer and HEX

HEX

BURRITO WARLORD
SL Rez
HEX HAS HAD RUN INS WITH MANY OF THE FAMOUS CRAZIES OF SECOND LIFE ON VARIOUS ACCOUNTS BUT DOESN'T CONSIDER THEM ENEMIES.

MOSTLY HE'S HAD BAD LAND INTERACTION STUFF, WHATEVER. YOU JUST ADAPT AND BUY THEIR LAND WHEN THEY MOVE.

Tiffy Vella

SL Rez
So many people seem to find their enemies in neighbors.

I've had a little mainland plot for 11+ years now. One neighbor who at first held land adjacent to one side of my plot eventually bought up all plots surrounding mine, and has banlines which annoy me because it boxes me into my own plot. It doesn't have much practical effect on me- my house is in a skybox and I don't actually encounter the banlines unless I fall off my platform or accidentally jettison an object off my land. But what if I wanted to live on the ground?

For 11+ years, I've never communicated with my neighbor or his guests, nor have I seen them (except as dots on the mini-map). They must not do any particularly laggy activities, like a sex club or animal breeding, because I've rarely experienced any lag. I've never seen any offensive structures. And now that I think about it, I don't think I've seen any structures on that property- he and his friends must have a skybox higher than mine. (So I understand the banlines even less.)

Hearing stories about others' experiences with their neighbors, I'll live with the banlines and consider myself lucky.
Amity--I have a similar experience here in Sinaburoe, and find it a mixed blessing. I've lived in the same spot for 11+ years on mainland, and years ago, slowly expanded it from a 512 to whatever the heck it is now. Years ago it was often laggy, had dubious neighbours who'd move in, do sometimes annoying stuff, move out again when their hustle failed. An animal sex place used to be just over the sim line and it took innocent me ages to work out why these noobie-looking dorks kept coming to my place trying to "fondle my horns" (I still have horns much of the time as I love excellent goats, just not in THAT way) . I look back and laugh my head off at the ridiculous fun and horror.

So years ago, stuff used to happen, whether for good or bad....there was a community of people who gardened together. It was friendly, and had variety.

But as of a few years back, some guy moved in to Sina and the surrounding sims and started buying. And he didn't stop. He bought everything as it became vacant, and his banlines went up. But he never has made anything of the land. It's vacant at ground level and for much of the sky and shut off from anyone but his "clan". He destroyed all travel, exploration, community for sims around and he's a total ass-stain to communicate with.

Hope he's not my Enemy.

But, it's quiet here. No lag. I can keep my mainstore here knowing no laggy nightclub is likely to be setting up on the sim. So far, there's predictability, which used to be unheard of on Mainland. I built an airport in the sky, so I can fly out over his banlines, and its a gorgeous place for a stopover.

So--mixed blessings.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
We had a slice of Sinaburoe across the sim border from Noonkkot, but the border got too much hassle and we let it go. I haven't looked at Sinaburoe in a long time. At one point it was mostly owned by two groups of Goreans or vampires or something who hated each other and engaged in some kind of proxy war involving buying land and putting huge gothic mansion builds on it.

• 1LOL

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
MOSTLY HE'S HAD BAD LAND INTERACTION STUFF, WHATEVER. YOU JUST ADAPT AND BUY THEIR LAND WHEN THEY MOVE.
You could end up owning all the SL land with that kind of tactics. Just saying.
:whistle:

• 1Agree

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I don't think I ever made any enemies personally.
There was some drama in the Doctor Who RP I was in; basically some newer people tried to change the rules and the storylines without asking; eventually they left to do their own thing. Therewas a row between two groups of builders, and the group I was in got banned from their sim (like we cared); also one the they force-TPed the lot of us to a gay Paris sim, I guess they assumed we'd be horrified (we weren't).
There was some family drama which ended happily (the heads of my former SL family got married in RL and are still together).
I probably dodged a bullet when I was land-hunting due to my habit of TPing up to different heights on the parcel to see if the neighbors had skyboxes. I clicked on one and discovered the land owner was Prok.
As of last time I logged in my neighbors on the land I did buy were OK, or not present enough for me to tell.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Adeon Writer

I had someone who hates me (even has threatened to kill me if we met irl) drive by my house IRL.

I don’t know what they were doing it for, as I only found out it happened long after. But it happened to have been the day of a big family reuinion, so we had cars jammed along the driveway and into the streets. I guess it scared them off? Who knows. Still pretty creepy to find out after the fact.