Talking but not hearing on voice shut off

Tove

OK yesterday I was talking on SL and suddenly after a rather heated discussion with someone, my ability to speak on voice stopped. I still had my dot and I could hear others but couldn't speak myself. Is there some way through scripts, land management, open collar or by other means someone could have purposefully done that to me? My ability to talk did come back after I restarted voice, so it's not an ongoing concern but I wondered if my suspicions have any merit.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
"My ability to talk did come back after I restarted voice, "

Then there's nothing to be concerned about other than SL voice's legendary bugginess.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The land owner can shut of the use of voice any time he/she likes.
Was owner perhaps loosing the discussion or all fed up about the direction in which the discussion was heading?

Tove

"My ability to talk did come back after I restarted voice, "

Then there's nothing to be concerned about other than SL voice's legendary bugginess.
Well, yes it's not gone forever but what I am wondering is if it was done at all and who would have that ability. It's one thing to disagree with me on an issue, it's another to simply shut me up without recourse or explanation. A warning to do it if I say one more word would have been acceptable. BTW the concern was over a discussion about the NRA and how hitler's first move had been to take guns away from his people.. .to give you an idea of the level of discourse I was subjected to.

The land owner can shut of the use of voice any time he/she likes.
Was owner perhaps loosing the discussion or all fed up about the direction in which the discussion was heading?
Yes, I know that but in that case no one else would have been able to talk as well. I am asking if what happened to me was even possible by an individual on purpose, where I could not talk on voice, but could hear everyone else. I was having no issues before this.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Well, yes it's not gone forever but what I am wondering is if it was done at all and who would have that ability. It's one thing to disagree with me on an issue, it's another to simply shut me up without recourse or explanation. A warning to do it if I say one more word would have been acceptable. BTW the concern was over a discussion about the NRA and how hitler's first move had been to take guns away from his people.. .to give you an idea of the level of discourse I was subjected to.

Yes, I know that but in that case no one else would have been able to talk as well. I am asking if what happened to me was even possible by an individual on purpose, where I could not talk on voice, but could hear everyone else. I was having no issues before this.
AFAIK, RLV can't operate voice: LSL Protocol/RestrainedLoveAPI - Second Life Wiki

As far as the bugginess, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that it lost your mic while not losing anyone else's. Even if it was possible with RLV, the restriction would've held even if you restarted voice, so if it was RLV you'd still be muted.

Last edited:

Tove

AFAIK, RLV can't operate voice: LSL Protocol/RestrainedLoveAPI - Second Life Wiki

As far as the bugginess, it's entirely within the realm of possibility that it lost your mic while not losing anyone else's. Even if it was possible with RLV, the restriction would've held even if you restarted voice, so if it was RLV you'd still be muted.
Thanks, I needed to hear something along those lines. I am not a scripter and while I've been familiar with rlv features in the past it'd been a while since I was on SL and having to interact with rlv devices so I wasn't sure what may have changed or not. Good, I'd liked these people a lot but then within a discussion found out that they were not so rational in some areas and people who are.. prone to Godwinning IRA issue discussions are ones that I'd immediately suspect of being capable of finding a justification for what I thought may have happened. Good, least they are not a total wash.

Adeon Writer

Scripts have no access to voice whatsoever. Lang management can turn voice off but then it goes off for everyone.

There is absolutely no way to silence someone.

• 1Like
Reactions: Tove

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I assume you have used voice before? I only ask because there is some sort of know bug in some USB headsets where you have to disconnect and reconnect them after an hour or so.

This is not exclusive to SL. It has something to do with the way the USB buffer works I believe.

• 1Like

Tove

Yes I've used voice before, since it's inception in fact. -s- My headset is USB and it is new, but I am trying to recall if I'd used it for over an hour before the other night. I am thinking that I did since that is how my friends and I on that sim primarily communicate and I stay there quite long periods of time. It's a Logitech headset. At this point, I am just going to chalk this up to simple wonkiness. Thanks everyone!

I assume you have used voice before? I only ask because there is some sort of know bug in some USB headsets where you have to disconnect and reconnect them after an hour or so.

This is not exclusive to SL. It has something to do with the way the USB buffer works I believe.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
If it happens again, I would try just pulling it out and plugging it back in, to see if that fixes it.

• 1Like

Tove

That is very good to know thank you so much!

Scripts have no access to voice whatsoever. Lang management can turn voice off but then it goes off for everyone.

There is absolutely no way to silence someone.