std::string str ("Nobody cares about development...");

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Here's a fun thread over on Reddit, where people are trying to outdo each other, to propose the most obnoxious programming language features.
REXX. Uninitialized variables are default initialized to the variable name in uppercase. Something to do with making it easy to interact with OS/360 JCL.

• 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

Six weeks ago I passed the assessment tests and three completed projects to get accepted into a paid boot camp. I just learned it will start June 13th, and will be required to learn Java full-stack and Angular.

I am suddenly very afraid. A framework and full-stack language in 12 weeks? Am I being set up to fail?

I did pass a semester in Java programming some years back which took me up to threaded programming, and I am close to finishing up learning basic JavaScript so I'm hoping I can use that to get familiar with Angular. Any other suggestions on how I can get prepared in five weeks for it? We will be expected to put 8 hours a day into this during the worst of the summer heat, so I suspect coffee shops, libraries, and any other place I can find with air conditioning and wifi will be frequently haunted. I will probably also shift my day cycle to be up early to take advantage of the morning's coolness.
You code LSL and javascript, which are two of the hackiest, buggiest languages out there... you will be fine!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
PHP. Visual Basic. Perl.

LSL isn't actually that hacky compared to some of the languages I've coded in. It's less limited than the real-time scripting language I implemented back in the '80s.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A+ for cleverness, D for interface control. With 365 (or sometimes 366!) points of selection on the Earth's orbit and the size of that input, I'm betting a lot of folk end up with selections that are "close enough!" Also, punishes old people.

• 1Agree

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Where is the "I don't whether to laugh or cry" emoji?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
That's an F. Dropdown lists suck. I bet most of the programming time went into writing up the list in the dropdown.
Nah, I bet you could write a Python script to generate it then cut and paste it into the website code.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Also there's no way to answer if you're not an adult.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Nah, I bet you could write a Python script to generate it then cut and paste it into the website code.
Sure, but doubtful the person who put that form together.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
How about one where you just hit a refresh button and it spits out a random date.

You just refresh until its your birthdate.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Why not a simple "are you old enough?" Y/N checkbox.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

bubblesort

My town has a massive street fair every year called Jubilee Day. It's been going on for like 2000 years or something, and the whole town shuts down and all that. This year, we're partying super extra hard, though, because Jubilee day happens on the first full day of no IE support from Microsoft! From Jubilee Day forward, if anybody asks you to write a web site for IE, you are well within your rights to laugh in their stupid, ugly faces.

Normally, I"d think some nerd at city hall planned it like this, but it always happens on the third Thursday in June, or something like that, so it's just a fun coincidence.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin
SL Rez
SLU Posts
My town has a massive street fair every year called Jubilee Day. It's been going on for like 2000 years or something, and the whole town shuts down and all that. This year, we're partying super extra hard, though, because Jubilee day happens on the first full day of no IE support from Microsoft! From Jubilee Day forward, if anybody asks you to write a web site for IE, you are well within your rights to laugh in their stupid, ugly faces.
Hah, though this does not speak well for their web designers.

• 1LOL

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hah, though this does not speak well for their web designers.

Aww, that's adorable. Tables for design and everything.

Someone might want to let them know they can drop this part of their page's code:
HTML:
<!--[if lt IE 7 ]> <html lang="en-US" class="ie6"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7 ]>    <html lang="en-US" class="ie7"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8 ]>    <html lang="en-US" class="ie8"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 9 ]>    <html lang="en-US" class="ie9"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if (gt IE 9)|!(IE)]><!--> <html lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]-->

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Being admin and co admin for various systems at work, I assure you, most end users, will in fact do the most insane bull shit. They also get upset at even the slightest change to a system.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan