std::string str ("Nobody cares about development...");

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In 99% of the cases the truth is that the developer thinks he made a good UI, while in fact he did not.
99% is an interesting statistic - it means effectively all UI developers are awful at their job.

Got anything to back it up?

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I think I actually understand this one! Because he forgot to put "free" in the loop to free up memory that isn't being used, malloc (which is the memory allocator I think), keeps malloc-ing more memory as the loop repeats. Eventually the memory used exceeds a limit of some kind and causes the crash.
Yes that's the idea. It's just a joke though. Normally if you run out of memory, windows will terminate your program with an out of memory error such as with this python script:

Code:
x='abcde'
while(1):
    x=x+x
Also whatever is used to make the movie screen grab would be quite remarkable to grab the blue screen of death into the movie.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yes that's the idea. It's just a joke though. Normally if you run out of memory, windows will terminate your program with an out of memory error
Which means that , though it is funny, it's not really a joke when you're doing actual development. Windows (or any OS) should not be terminating your app because you don't know how to manage memory.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Which means that , though it is funny, it's not really a joke when you're doing actual development. Windows (or any OS) should not be terminating your app because you don't know how to manage memory.
What else do you think windows should do? If you ask for a million terabytes of memory windows can't very well give it to you so it needs to terminate your app so you can fix it.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What else do you think windows should do?
Manage windows.

The point I was making is, if you build an app and Windows is constantly terminating it to free up memory, then you built it wrong. (Which is kind of the joke from the image I posted!)

Is that how one wants to exit a program? :flail:

• 1Agree
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Usually the compiler or run-time environment should catch this [infinite loops] early and produce a warning. Well, unless it's some skaggy interpreter that's not doing its job or was instructed not to do its job for reasons of optimization or sheer laziness, and there are still plenty of ways to fail anyways.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Or he did.

But marketing didn't like it.
I know this is old but developers never make good UI.

This is a problem that the Linux/Open Source Community seems to be kind of sort of finally figuring out.

Like hey, your software does an amazing and useful thing, but Jesus Christ why do I have to memorize a book of command like arguments to use it or open a window that feels like it was designed for Windows 1.1 that requires way too many clicks to do anything and has all of the useful buttons intermixed with the buttons for configurations and crap that most people will maybe need once.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
To explain, many programming languages use == as a comparison operator and = as an assignment operator. Thus 'if (isCrazyMurderingRobot = TRUE)' evaluates as 'if (TRUE)'.

In compensation for killing the joke (by explaining it), here's MIT's most famous hacking prank.

• 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Many compilers will warn about that if you turn warnings on and try to do that.

gcc -Wall ... gives
warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Many compilers will warn about that if you turn warnings on and try to do that.

gcc -Wall ... gives
warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value
Yeah, but we both know lots of people can't be bothered to look at compiler warnings... lol.

SL Rez
SLU Posts

This is a problem that the Linux/Open Source Community seems to be kind of sort of finally figuring out.

Like hey, your software does an amazing and useful thing, but Jesus Christ why do I have to memorize a book of command like arguments to use it or open a window that feels like it was designed for Windows 1.1 that requires way too many clicks to do anything and has all of the useful buttons intermixed with the buttons for configurations and crap that most people will maybe need once.
I've come to the conclusion that open source doesn't attract very many people into user interface design.

• 1Beer
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
They did once.

That command line UI that's so primitive and techy-oriented now was a revolution in friendly user interfaces in the '70s.

//SAMPJCL JOB 1,CLASS=6,MSGCLASS=0,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
//*
//STEP010 EXEC PGM=SORT
//SORTIN DD DSN=JCL.SAMPLE.INPUT,DISP=SHR
//SORTOUT DD DSN=JCL.SAMPLE.OUTPUT,
// DISP=(NEW,CATLG,CATLG),DATACLAS=DSIZE50
//SYSOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=C
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
That was the dominant manufacturer's version of "sort < jcl.sample.input > jcl.sample.output".

• 1Interesting
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Talking about development: has anybody here ever heared of MUMPS, or even written some programs in it?

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
They did once.

That command line UI that's so primitive and techy-oriented now was a revolution in friendly user interfaces in the '70s.

That was the dominant manufacturer's version of "sort < jcl.sample.input > jcl.sample.output".
Is that IBM's JCL? Many long years ago I took a PL/C course where the programs were run on a mainframe. We had to preface the program with a JCL template, that told the mainframe which department/class to "bill" and that we were submitting a PL/C program to be run and printed out. Yes, to see if our program worked as it was supposed to do, we had to go fetch the output from the printing office at the computing center. No punch cards though, we used IBM terminals with weirdo function keys.