cbsallaccess Star Trek Picard Series!

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I don't understand. Even with an Amazon Prime subscription do you not also have to subscribe to CBS All-Access?
AP has a VPN detector (they do not have rights to show it in the US) so I need to look up how to get around it. Yes, I am so uninterested I have not googled that yet.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Now TV do this in the Uk. When the company also have a subscription TV box and an online subscription service, you can't use the online service on a TV and a TV subscription online.
This is why I pirate everything. It just works.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
This is why I pay for everything. It just works.
This is why I call my cable company every few years mentioning I am thinking of cancelling things for a smaller bill. They then see if they can reduce my bill. It works.

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Zaida Gearbox

It appears we finally have FIOS where I live. I'm thinking of telling Comcast to fuck off.

I'm not adverse to paying for things - but if I pay for a subscription - then I expect to be able to watch it on whatever device I fucking choose.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We can only access CBSOnline from the bedroom Roku/streaming TV, because our living room TV is ancient and doesn't recognize streaming channels beyond Netflix and Amazon. So today we piled on the bed with our dogs (and a few cats passing through) to watch the first episode. I enjoyed it quite enough to warrant the subscription. We'll see how the "crew" from next episode's previews shakes out, but honestly, the elderly Picard is such a treat that I'll put up with less than stellar supporting actors. Looking back on the first season of ST:TNG, I was unimpressed with several of the crew that are now much loved characters. It's easy to forget how dubious I was about Riker and Troi way back then.

Tomorrow night we'll catch the Ready Room and other shorts.

And as an aside, the one problem we had with the episode was the volume. We maxxed out the volume control and Mrs. Beebo still couldn't hear the dialogue and had to rely on the subtitles. We may end up using a Roku feature called private listening, where we can plug in with earphones.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I'm not adverse to paying for things - but if I pay for a subscription - then I expect to be able to watch it on whatever device I fucking choose.
Streaming services are relatively new and the tech is changing all the time, which means that sometimes devices falls through the cracks. Yes, it's frustrating trying to keep up, but these aren't just arbitrary rules written to piss you off. Sometimes the technical constraints are going to crop up when various devices get too far apart in their specs.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
We can only access CBSOnline from the bedroom Roku/streaming TV, because our living room TV is ancient and doesn't recognize streaming channels beyond Netflix and Amazon. So today we piled on the bed with our dogs (and a few cats passing through) to watch the first episode. I enjoyed it quite enough to warrant the subscription. We'll see how the "crew" from next episode's previews shakes out, but honestly, the elderly Picard is such a treat that I'll put up with less than stellar supporting actors. Looking back on the first season of ST:TNG, I was unimpressed with several of the crew that are now much loved characters. It's easy to forget how dubious I was about Riker and Troi way back then.

Tomorrow night we'll catch the Ready Room and other shorts.

And as an aside, the one problem we had with the episode was the volume. We maxxed out the volume control and Mrs. Beebo still couldn't hear the dialogue and had to rely on the subtitles. We may end up using a Roku feature called private listening, where we can plug in with earphones.
They actually have another name for headphone jacks/bluetooth?

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Streaming services are relatively new and the tech is changing all the time, which means that sometimes devices falls through the cracks. Yes, it's frustrating trying to keep up, but these aren't just arbitrary rules written to piss you off. Sometimes the technical constraints are going to crop up when various devices get too far apart in their specs.
One nice thing is you can get some sort of a streaming device for as little as 20 dollars. If it goes defunct in a few years just replace it rather than having to upgrade your entire tv.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
according to various sources and interviews the first 3 episodes tie in together establish the base of whats going on and forming the team picard pulls together. From there we have little to go on.

CBS has also added to thier promo pics and they managed to sort out meta data...

Picard also broke discoverys record by "significant margin" as well as record number of sign ups and more unique viewer and stream of any CBS shows.

Last edited:
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Isabeau

Merdeuse
1st episode free on YouTube (US only)

Zaida Gearbox

Is anyone else who signed up for a subscription having problems with it freezing up and then getting an error message at the points where it goes to commercial - or did everyone but me sign up for the more expensive no commercial option?

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Some of the Twitter commenters annoyed because they think he shouldn't bring politics into it, and how dare he bring in "woke" culture into their entertainment. Also that he knows nothing about science fiction. Good lord, ha ha

• 1Like
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My excuse is simply stated I just can't. Star Trek was profound; the movies were largely terrible but STARTREK1; Next Generation sailed with me and all of my geeky trekky friends (we even moved Dungeons and Dragons Pizza Fiasco night); Deep Space Nine was okay; Voyager I really enjoyed; then there were new movies with Anton! I love a well developed universe but have reached my limit and that's all I can say.