Splendour XR in Sansar

Noodles

VERIFIED ☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So there is this music festival called Splendour which is going to be virtual this year in Sansar. There's more information here:

I am kind of on the fence at the idea of trying this thing. The irritating and pointless sliding pricing is probably my biggest turn off though. I'd rather hem haw about it until the last minute, but I am not paying $10+ more because I decided to wait. i only really care about two of the acts anyway, thankfully both on the same day, CHVRCHES and Aurora. It's also not clear for example, how long the sets are, if there are any replays available, etc. I've paid for several virtual concerts, but I'm not real sure about one that might end up being a video on a screen in a 3D world. Hell I'd be more open to just a stream.

Anyway, I figured I'd bring it up since there isn't really much Sansar news.

bubblesort

So there is this music festival called Splendour which is going to be virtual this year in Sansar. There's more information here:

I am kind of on the fence at the idea of trying this thing. The irritating and pointless sliding pricing is probably my biggest turn off though. I'd rather hem haw about it until the last minute, but I am not paying $10+ more because I decided to wait. i only really care about two of the acts anyway, thankfully both on the same day, CHVRCHES and Aurora. It's also not clear for example, how long the sets are, if there are any replays available, etc. I've paid for several virtual concerts, but I'm not real sure about one that might end up being a video on a screen in a 3D world. Hell I'd be more open to just a stream.

Anyway, I figured I'd bring it up since there isn't really much Sansar news.
Yeah, I was just in Sansar earlier today. There was some great music, and a fun little crowd at the Cave party today, but I can never hear people very well in Sansar, even without music.

The pricing turned me off on the splendor thing, too. Plus, the site was full of links that led to 'this page does not exist', which gives off Fyre Festival vibes to me, especially next to links to sell things like cocktail mixes. Looks like a fake influencer type setup to me.

They do have a decent lineup, though:

... but with these prices? This is like 6 months of premium SL for one weekend of music. I think the prices are high because Splenour XR is related to Tribes XR, somehow, and I think the Tribes XR users have deeper pockets for this kind of thing. The Oculus events listings are packed with Tribes classes, so they have a community to pull from. I doubt the average Sansar user is going to go for this.

When I think about it, I think Sansar is still the best VR platform for Tribes XR DJs to perform in. VR Chat is full of greifers who would easily destroy a big festival. Rec Room is too kid-friendly for music with profanity. Alt Space might work, but the place feels too much like Rec Room, so it's a bit too kid friendly, too. Sansar has a lot of problems, but it does occupy a unique niche. It's not too wild or too tame for festivals like this.

Noodles

VERIFIED ☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
If they didn't have that weird pointless ramp up, I would potentially buy a pass for the first day with CHVRCHES and Aurora at $20. I've paid around that for just Aurora doing a streaming concert twice now since COVID.

But only last minute, when I knew I would be able to actually have the time.

I won't pay $10 more, partially because it feels like arbitrary price gouging.

It's also not clear WHAT this even is. Are there going to be avatar versions of the bands? Is it just going to be a video on a screen in world? I mean hell if it had JUST been a regular stream I would have already bought a ticket since I can easily screen record that to "DVR" it. Is it going to be a complete set from each group or like 2 songs each? The streams I have paid for before were while 45-60 minute sets. It felt like a "real concert".

The WHAT may actually be the bigger hang up for me than the pricing in the end.

Besides, assuming some COVID Variant doesn't destroy us all by then I'm seeing CHVRCHES in person in a few months anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

I was just casually surfing around IMDB and ran across this film called Splendor in the Grass, which looks like some kind of rural retelling of the Great Gatsby or something, maybe? It's a tv movie, from 1981.

It's a remake of a 1961 film with the same title.

Splendor XR is supposed to be a version of a big, real world, global, simultaneous concert series called Splendor in the Grass. Maybe this is all related to the film, somehow? I don't know. I doubt the fandom around these films justifies the price of the Sansar event, but who knows? People pay for weird stuff in VR.

bubblesort

If they didn't have that weird pointless ramp up, I would potentially buy a pass for the first day with CHVRCHES and Aurora at $20. I've paid around that for just Aurora doing a streaming concert twice now since COVID.

But only last minute, when I knew I would be able to actually have the time.

I won't pay $10 more, partially because it feels like arbitrary price gouging.

It's also not clear WHAT this even is. Are there going to be avatar versions of the bands? Is it just going to be a video on a screen in world? I mean hell if it had JUST been a regular stream I would have already bought a ticket since I can easily screen record that to "DVR" it. Is it going to be a complete set from each group or like 2 songs each? The streams I have paid for before were while 45-60 minute sets. It felt like a "real concert".

The WHAT may actually be the bigger hang up for me than the pricing in the end.

Besides, assuming some COVID Variant doesn't destroy us all by then I'm seeing CHVRCHES in person in a few months anyway.
Turns out, the acts are all just pre-recorded videos of the musicians performing, with green screen behind them. The crowds are full of bots to make the crowd feel more like a crowd. Some people in the discord are really mad about all this. Also, there are multiple instances, and people get thrown into random instances of the festival when they load it, so they have to keep reloading to find the instance their friends are in. People defending it are saying there are reports of some musicians hanging out in the crowd. One article said fatboy slim was there in an avatar, hanging out. Most people seem to be in torches and pitchforks mode over all this right now.

Here are some photos:

Noodles

VERIFIED ☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I would absolutely love to know the numbers for this event.

The advertising seemed really spotty and there felt like there was zero buzz.

And I mostly say this because a lot about this makes me feel like I am the "primary demographic" but the whole thing felt very meh.

There also we're not a ton of details until very late in the game. Worse, and another thing that makes me glad I didn't get a ticket, all of the shows for me, would have been very early AM. The two I most wanted to see I think we're like 2 AM and 5 AM.

That makes some sense given it's an Australia thing, but it also isn't clear if they are going to have replay options or if the replay option is included with the tickets.

Hell just another point on advertising. I have been seeing ads for CHVRCHES at the show, leading up. I saw another one today, this morning, hours after CHVRCHES had done their set. Basically, an ad for a who I could no longer watch