So I'm building my css font stacks...

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I've been working with CSS Font Stack: Web Safe and Web Font Family with HTML and CSS code. and a few other sources to get a listing of the most common web-safe fonts for my font stack families; this is what I have so far and would welcome any suggestions. Not looking for anything "new", more just what is on everyone's machine (except for Consolus just because I think it displays better than the standard monospace fonts [aging eyes]). Also, hoping I got the syntax and especially spelling right:

serif
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, Garamond, "Bookman Old Style", serif;

sans-serif
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, Tahoma, sans-serif;

monospace
font-family: "Courier New", Courier, "Lucida Sans Typewriter", Consolas, monospace;

fantasy
font-family: Papyrus, Copperplate, fantasy;

script
font-family: "Brush Script MT", "URW Chancery L", script;

EDITED: Made Erich's recommendations

Last edited:

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
In the serif set I'd put Georgia first -- it's on a lot of machines and looks nicer than Times New Roman.

You might want to lose Verdana from the sans-serif set, because it is noticeably larger than the other fonts, which can throw things off (or just look a bit odd).

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Why "Lucida Sans Typewriter" and not Lucidia Console?

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Why "Lucida Sans Typewriter" and not Lucidia Console?
Lucidia Console has 0% representation on current mac machines, according to the website in the OP. Lucidia Sans Typewriter has like a 74% representation in Windows and over 90% on macs and is slightly more readable due to line spacing. But then again, there's also a strong case for putting a 100% windows font first and a 100% mac font second and a 100% linux font third and "compromise" fonts last -- I'm nowhere being a font or css expert so what I'm doing is one step above guesswork. Corrections and clarifications are eagerly accepted.

Last edited: