Skype starting up at computer login

Victorianna Writer

If all else fails...reboot!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Its on my home computer. I have tried all the former suggestions including logging in to microsoft. I'm probably going to eventually contact microsoft when I get a chance.
Did you follow the steps I mentioned for your home system?

**If it's on your home system, yes windows will install it thru Microsoft but you can right click on your start button, go to system, then storage, click on your c: drive then go to apps & games and look for and uninstall skype from there.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Did you follow the steps I mentioned for your home system?

**If it's on your home system, yes windows will install it thru Microsoft but you can right click on your start button, go to system, then storage, click on your c: drive then go to apps & games and look for and uninstall skype from there.
I mentioned in previous posts that this had been suggested and that this program doesn't appear in the list of programs to remove.

Victorianna Writer

If all else fails...reboot!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I mentioned in previous posts that this had been suggested and that this program doesn't appear in the list of programs to remove.
You said you tried the former suggestions you never did mention if you tried mine and if it did or did not work with the steps I gave you.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
If you'd waited just a couple more days you could've had a year old necropost.
Was wondering why I never noticed this before. Then again, it is windows.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
/me bookmarks for later spam analysis...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Rest assured Skype for business on macOS can startup on login automatically too, if wanted.
Anything can, but on macs you just remove it from the user control panel. Some badly behaved services do not work that way but most of them do.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Perhaps this will be of use?
I've bookmarked it in case Skype appears on my new computer. It seems like it's mentioning a few different things to what's already been mentioned.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Fionalein and Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
What a bizarre problem this was, though. Skype was installed enough to automatically launch on his computer, but it wasn't in the startup list, wasn't in the program list, evidently couldn't be found as a process in the task manager...?

I don't have Skype installed right this second, but I've had it before and it was never hidden like some kind of trojan. Skype for Business may be a different animal sure, but it still doesn't make sense for Microsoft to do that, because system administrators would be expected to have to manage it somehow, which means they have to be able to, y'know, find it in the freaking program list.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
What a bizarre problem this was, though. Skype was installed enough to automatically launch on his computer, but it wasn't in the startup list, wasn't in the program list, evidently couldn't be found as a process in the task manager...?
There are two different Skypes: The real downloaded program and an "App" version that gets installed when the "Welcome to skype" (or whatever) icon gets clicked on a new Windows 10 install.

I highly recommend ditching the App version if you want better control over when it runs.

The "App" version won't be in the add/remove programs, you have to either right-click uninstall on the start menu icon or go to Settings -> Apps -> Apps and Features

Real version is here: Skype | Communication tool for free calls and chat

Last edited:

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
At the least, it'll be useful if a certain post in the thread is eventually removed due to later SPAM violations...
Heh, I wasn't even looking at the 2019 posts.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
It seems, you should try these steps
*snip*
I smell a certain canned gelatinous meat substance. Not enough for me to push the button, but like Free, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.