Skype starting up at computer login

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
I need to stop Skype for business from popping up everytime I start windows. I have tried to uncheck the box that tells it to start up after login, and that didn't work. Then I tried going to remove the entire program and it didn't show up on the list of programs. I'm afraid since it's hidden from the list of programs its something suspicious like a trojan, but unsure of that. Please help.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
What version of Windows are you using?

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Right click on the taskbar, select Task Manager, then the Startup tab

You can sort the list by Status - look if Skype is enabled, select it and click on Disable.

• 1Like
Reactions: Worthless Whore

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
do you have a skype for business account? Or a microosfot account? Are you logged in when you uncheck the box? Is it the same account as your main windows log-in account?

Just guessing about questions to ask yourself when you're following those instructions.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
do you have a skype for business account? Or a microosfot account? Are you logged in when you uncheck the box? Is it the same account as your main windows log-in account?

Just guessing about questions to ask yourself when you're following those instructions.
All I know is I don't have an account with Skype for Business.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Then you can't log in to shut it down as the instructions suggested. In order to have and use office products you need a microsoft account. Try logging in using those details and see if that works.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Do you know if it's the Microsoft Store version that may have came with the computer or one that you installed from the internet?

MS config!

Click your Start Button, type msconfig and hit Enter
When the System Configuration dialog opens, click on the Services Tab
Check the box marked 'Hide Microsoft Services'
In the remaining list look for the Skype app, uncheck it if you find
Click Apply and OK

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Then you can't log in to shut it down as the instructions suggested. In order to have and use office products you need a microsoft account. Try logging in using those details and see if that works.
I have logged into microsoft, but unable to login to Skype for Business.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Best you try Kalel's advice then. Or google fiurther with your particular issues about not having a skype for business account.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Click your Start Button, type msconfig and hit Enter
When the System Configuration dialog opens, click on the Services Tab
Check the box marked 'Hide Microsoft Services'
In the remaining list look for the Skype app, uncheck it if you find
Click Apply and OK
I was able to click 'Hide Microsoft services', but unable to find Skype on that list.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was able to click 'Hide Microsoft services', but unable to find Skype on that list.
Then it's probably the Microsoft Store version of the app not the deskstop version

This is the only other then i can think of..

if this doesn't work. i'm out of ideas other then uninstall it... re-install it.. then set it to not start up when installing.

Victorianna Writer

If all else fails...reboot!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Did you by chance try to uninstalling it by just deleting the icon? Or deleting it from the place it is originally stored? If so, you will not see it on the list, plus it would have been (if you did try deleting) uninstalled incorrectly. Is this on your work station where your office possibly uses it for other co-workers? If so, it's possible that your IT team may have it set to where no one can uninstall it and that it is originally installed on a server for the main location of the executable file. If it's on your home system, yes windows will install it thru Microsoft but you can right click on your start button, go to system, then storage, click on your c: drive then go to apps & games and look for and uninstall skype from there.

WinterRabbit

SL Rez
Did you by chance try to uninstalling it by just deleting the icon? Or deleting it from the place it is originally stored? If so, you will not see it on the list, plus it would have been (if you did try deleting) uninstalled incorrectly. Is this on your work station where your office possibly uses it for other co-workers? If so, it's possible that your IT team may have it set to where no one can uninstall it and that it is originally installed on a server for the main location of the executable file. If it's on your home system, yes windows will install it thru Microsoft but you can right click on your start button, go to system, then storage, click on your c: drive then go to apps & games and look for and uninstall skype from there.
Its on my home computer. I have tried all the former suggestions including logging in to microsoft. I'm probably going to eventually contact microsoft when I get a chance.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
First, "Skype for Business" used to be called "Microsoft Lync". It's not actually Skype, it's a horrible old program that got rebranded. It may be listed that way in the startup/installed programs lists.

If that fails, and if you're feeling brave.

Use Task Manager to find the name of the program that's running when it starts up. If it's something that looks skype-ish (rather than being one of Microsoft's generic program wrappers like RUNDLL32), then...

Look for that program in the file system.

Change its name to "HELLNOMICROSOFT.NOTEXE" or something.

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
From the microsoft website:

Uninstall Skype for Business

It's pretty well integrated into office 365, so if that's what you have you're not going to be able to do too much more in the way of uninstalling etc. We use it at work and it annoys the crap out of me having to use 2 different skype apps for the same bloody thing! One is internal, the other is external. Someone didn't think too closely about the usage of the app there!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie