Show some love for spiders *warning for arachnophobes*

Mukatsuku

This app is sooo useful! I now know when to feed them without keeping loads of notebooks.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I never could understand being afraid of spiders, I just chalk it up to one of those phobias I do not have.
People hear about the old lady that might die and get all weirded out about it.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
  • 1ROFL
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Mukatsuku

This article is just too relevant not to post! Australian man screaming at spider 'why don't you die?' triggers full police response

Spiders in Australia are truly bad ass when you have to throw chairs at them and repeatedly scream "Why don't you die". I feel ashamed that I'm freaked out by these wimpy American spiders now. :blush:
Yeah, all the American spiders are so docile compared to many other countries/continents.

Tarantulas are even split into Old World (highly venomous, they want to rip your face off) and New World (they want to run away but will flick hairs at you if you annoy them - keep poking them and they will eventually bite but it's not much worse than a bee sting).

I pay extra respect to my Old Worlds when feeding them/cleaning their water bowls - got 3, now: 2 Orange Bitey Things from Africa and 1 Indian Gooty Ornamental :)

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I love a series of animations of Little Goth Girl. They are getting very old now. In the very first episode she has a fear of spiders. She takes care of the situation. Later she speaks with the college counselor. She tells him her mother was a hippy chick and her dad was Satan. Not like Satan, but actually Satan. She was the result. Here's a link to all of his animations, this one on the top.

Little Goth Girl

Here's a frame from the video.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Another spidy story: A Woman Totaled Her Car After Seeing A Spider While Driving

When I lived in California my ex's girlfriend dropped by my apartment and dumped a box of [live] spiders in my car (caught on parking lot camera). Seriously, not kidding. I can't imagine why I didn't wreck too because I certainly freaked the hell out.

I just recently made friends with a good spidy. At least he was good until he turned into Napoleon and tried to take over my walkway! He started out small, just a little web in the center of my tomato plants. I'd come out every day, pick a tomato and thank him for eating all the white flies and other bugs that tried to kill my tomato plants. All was well .. then one day I came out to find that he'd spit his web across the walkway and was now catching things like bees. Also, have you ever been on a path and walked through a web you didn't see? //shudders

I guess he got tired of white flies and has moved onto stronger stuff but I kind of miss him. So this post is dedicated to Napoleon the Spider.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Once males mature, they start looking for a mate and basically refuse to eat. They also develop hooks on their legs which are used during mating. These hooks make it impossible to survive the next moult, so they are going to die from starvation or moulting, both whilst incredibly horny.
I had a pink-toe that unfortunately turned out to be male (I bought him when his legspan was the size of a quarter). They quit eating and burn themselves out by constantly searching for love.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Govi