Should I get another Surface tablet?

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fodder for another thread, but people ask "should I upgrade this;" "should I install that;" "shouldn't I have what they have." My answer is always to only upgrade or change your hardware or software if what you have isn't meeting your needs and the new configuration offers a feature that will solve that issue for you. The looks I get range from "why are you speaking Bajoran" to "fuck off you can't tell me what to do." But I give the best advise I can knowing that they've already decided what they're going to do before asking.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
We have to use Windows on our desktops so it seemed silly to pit myself against the middle trying to use both depending on where I was at the time. Enjoy your new machine Beebo!
:qft:

A coherent ecosystem -- including my new headphones -- was the deciding factor in absence of any other app-related enticements. The only outlier is my iPhone, which I don't use all that much, and even that is compatible with the headphones.

The Surface is a self-indulgent purchase for solely personal use, but I'm really looking forward to the headphones as a game-changer for working at home. Right now I have two or three different headphones scattered around the house, and I'm hoping the Surface will replace them all (cue theme music from LOTR). Most of all, however, I'm hoping that the noise-cancelling feature will provide some buffer from the background noises of sharing my home with another person who often listens to things I don't want to hear. At the very least, it may filter out sounds while I'm in meetings, so I'm not constantly clicking on the mute button to drown out dog whimpers then forgetting to click it back on when I make comments.

• 1Like
Reactions: Khamon

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We use iPhones as well but only for texting and the odd communication app. I abhor talking on the phone, always have, but expecially now that asynchronous messaging is so easy. Facetime is kind of nice sometimes with people in other states and countries.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
For anyone who is interested, my Surface Headphones 2 arrived a few days ago and I'm really pleased with them. The noise cancellation is a huge plus and they're much more comfortable than my dinky Radio Shack headphones. They can pair with up to 8 devices, but they can only handle an active connection to 2 at a time.

The learning curve -- for me -- was a bit steep. I picked up on the sound controls easily enough, but I was missing something obvious about how to switch connections from one device to another. After many frustrating hours of downloading the Surface Audio app, then deleting it after I borked all the connections, then re-configuring all other again, I've reached a stable configuration that I understand.

I may branch out -- very very carefully -- now that I "get" how it all works. Or at least I think I do. If nothing else, having started over numerous times, I'm much more confident I can just wipe the slate clean and get back up and running again.