WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head

The rapist recorded himself raping his victim and sent the videos to his friends with the tag line "When your first time having sex is rape"

Judge felt that the rapist deserved leniency as he:
Came from a good family
Went to a good school
Had good test results and was probably going to a good college
Was an 'eagle scout'

and also because it wasn't a 'real' rape as a “traditional case of rape” involved more than one attacker using a weapon to take advantage of a victim in a remote location.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

The rapist recorded himself raping his victim and sent the videos to his friends with the tag line "When your first time having sex is rape"

Judge felt that the rapist deserved leniency as he:
Came from a good family
Went to a good school
Had good test results and was probably going to a good college
Was an 'eagle scout'

and also because it wasn't a 'real' rape as a “traditional case of rape” involved more than one attacker using a weapon to take advantage of a victim in a remote location.
To be fair, the report makes it clear that New Jersey's appellate court has recorded its very clear disapproval of his actions and overturned the ruling:
Troiano’s remarks, which he delivered at a family court hearing in July 2018, were highlighted this week in a sharply worded overturning of his decision by an appeals court. Prosecutors told NJ1015.com they would now seek an indictment from a grand jury so they may prosecute GMC as an adult.

In one drily scathing passage, the appeals court judges said they hoped juveniles would not be made to stand trial as adults if they “do not come from good families and do not have good test scores”.

Tigger

To be fair, the report makes it clear that New Jersey's appellate court has recorded its very clear disapproval of his actions and overturned the ruling:
Yes it was overturned but the fact remains that judges like this continue to be more concerned with the welfare of the rapist than that of the victim.
In fact if you read the judges comments they are even worse than the article states. Questioning why the victim and her mother took a couple of days to involve the police and also questioning why they only sought criminal charges after the videos had been deleted,

His skeptical scrutiny of G.M.C.'s friend, who said the video depicted Mary's head banging against a wall, the victim's credibility, and the motives and conduct of the victim's family went beyond review of the prosecutor's decision for abuse of discretion. The judge also accorded great weight to the fact that G.M.C. might have reasonably believed that Mary wanted to engage in sexual intercourse—without taking into consideration her level of intoxication
actual words of the judge said:
. . . t's not impossible for the [c]ourt to think
that once the video is deleted it's a lot easier to bring
the criminal charges. But I'm only . . . speculating,
okay. All I know is they waited until . . . they were
reasonably convinced that the video was deleted that
they decided to go to explore their options.

Quotes are from: STATE OF NEW JERSEY IN THE INTEREST OF G.M.C
It's worth reading the whole thing, it's quite short.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yes it was overturned but the fact remains that judges like this continue to be more concerned with the welfare of the rapist than that of the victim.
In fact if you read the judges comments they are even worse than the article states. Questioning why the victim and her mother took a couple of days to involve the police and also questioning why they only sought criminal charges after the videos had been deleted,

Quotes are from: STATE OF NEW JERSEY IN THE INTEREST OF G.M.C
It's worth reading the whole thing, it's quite short.
In this case, though, the system worked, in that the prosecutors were able to appeal and the Appellate Court made it clear that the judge had completely overstepped the boundaries of his actual responsibilities in the case. Assuming the US judicial language is like their British equivalents', that whole judgment is completely damning -- this isn't a judge misdirecting himself on a point of law so much as judge making it up for himself as he goes along.

I am wondering how a judge like that gets appointed in the first place. I suspect he owes his seat on the bench to an election -- ain't democracy grand!

Maggy Hazelnut

Cat Herder
Joined SLU
March 2009
SLU Posts
Keep in mind that many place in the US elect their judges & there aren't any requirements that they know a damn thing about the law. I had a step-father that was a judge in Montana for many years & he had an 8th grade education & his only job before that was as a cowboy. I would assume that in places that appoint their judges that there are certain minimum requirements. In the case of elected judges maybe the voters just like your name or you're known as a fun guy in the community or maybe no one's running against you. It's easy to get a bunch of idiot judges that're elected year after year & don't know the first thing about legal rules & regulations.

Tigger

In this case, though, the system worked, in that the prosecutors were able to appeal and the Appellate Court made it clear that the judge had completely overstepped the boundaries of his actual responsibilities in the case. Assuming the US judicial language is like their British equivalents', that whole judgment is completely damning -- this isn't a judge misdirecting himself on a point of law so much as judge making it up for himself as he goes along.

I am wondering how a judge like that gets appointed in the first place. I suspect he owes his seat on the bench to an election -- ain't democracy grand!
Well the only positive I see is that at least an elected judge can lose their job at the next election. A career judge might be more difficult to remove.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Well the only positive I see is that at least an elected judge can lose their job at the next election. A career judge might be more difficult to remove.
As I see it, it's also a positive that a higher court overturned his ruling in very decisive terms. That suggests to me that the problem is with a particular judge rather than the law or judiciary of New Jersey in general.

• 1Thanks

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
WUT?

I bet they wouldn't try and pull that shit if it were an antique guitar or something like that from white culture. "Purchased 1910" forsooth.

• 1Agree

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
WUT?

I bet they wouldn't try and pull that shit if it were an antique guitar or something like that from white culture. "Purchased 1910" forsooth.
Oh, they'd probably try a variety of things to pay as little as possible, or even not pay, whoever it was. They're cheap af.
It's awful that this happened, though, and it does appear like insult to injury for Native American cultures.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Yeah, I don't think she or her moccasins were specifically targeted. It was just horribly sloppy luggage handling that could have happened to anyone. They should still pay, though, for actual and punitive damages.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Govi

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Mad at USA Today's headline just as much.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
WUT?

To be fair, though, if it were something like an antique guitar it would presumably be packed in a special guitar case suitable for carrying valuable instruments and the owner would probably have arranged special insurance.

I'm not criticising her. Since it was in her hand-luggage she would obviously have thought she had it safe , and I can well understand how she didn't think "Oh shit! The Regalia!" until her bag was vanishing down the conveyor belt. However, it's by no means clear to me that the airline knew the bag contained anything fragile, or anything of particular value, until she complained about the state it was in when she recovered it.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
To be fair, though, if it were something like an antique guitar it would presumably be packed in a special guitar case suitable for carrying valuable instruments and the owner would probably have arranged special insurance.

I'm not criticising her. Since it was in her hand-luggage she would obviously have thought she had it safe , and I can well understand how she didn't think "Oh shit! The Regalia!" until her bag was vanishing down the conveyor belt. However, it's by no means clear to me that the airline knew the bag contained anything fragile, or anything of particular value, until she complained about the state it was in when she recovered it.
A modern guitar would too. Most likely a heavy-duty guitar case inside a really tough road case.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A modern guitar would too. Most likely a heavy-duty guitar case inside a really tough road case.
My sometime brother-in-law is a very accomplished Indian classical musician, and in particular a sitarist, accompanying his wife, an equally accomplished singer of classical Ghazal (Urdu love-poetry). His sitar is a family heirloom, some 200 years old, and always accompanied them in a paid-for seat when they flew anywhere in the US doing concerts and things, which they used to do a lot -- any big Indian or Pakistani weddings and parties on the East Coast of the USA would try to book them.