WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

This sounds like a vector for ahistorical propaganda.

I had someone the other day tell me the US was founded as a “Christian country” which is to say as an evangelical theocracy. She had no awareness at all that a compromise had to be reached between states with different favored denominations and that “Christians” in the sense of today’s evangelicals didn’t exist yet.

She had no inkling of the involvement of Deists and Freemasons in the formation of the country.

These people will believe anything they’re told at church because they have no real knowledge of history and they want to make sure young people who are not in their church are programmed to see history as they do. If laws come from the Bible, then their religious leaders get to write the laws - not the democratic will of the voters.

It’s profoundly political.

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This sounds like a vector for ahistorical propaganda.

I had someone the other day tell me the US was founded as a “Christian country” which is to say as an evangelical theocracy. She had no awareness at all that a compromise had to be reached between states with different favored denominations and that “Christians” in the sense of today’s evangelicals didn’t exist yet.

She had no inkling of the involvement of Deists and Freemasons in the formation of the country.

These people will believe anything they’re told at church because they have no real knowledge of history and they want to make sure young people who are not in their church are programmed to see history as they do. If laws come from the Bible, then their religious leaders get to write the laws - not the democratic will of the voters.

It’s profoundly political.
Ever was it thus.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
As an actual historian, I would love to teach that class. But I don't think it would be what they intend.
I think including a course on the history of the world's major religions in the school curriculum would be a good thing. I took such a course in college and it was pretty enlightening.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Are folks familiar with Heinrich Mann's classic novel, Der Untertan,, normally translated into English as The Man of Straw?

Its protagonist and anti-hero, Diederich Hessling, is a slavish and hypocritical follower of an authoritarian and militaristic regime. It seems somewhat reminiscent of Devin Nunes, for some reason.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
https://www.register-herald.com/news/state_region/house-of-delegates-passes-bill-without-updated-human-health-water/article_793de696-6c5a-5189-bac1-e937c92822cc.html

Say, what?

The West Virginia Legislature approves rules proposed by the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Last year, the West Virginia DEP released a proposal to update about 60 water quality standards, based on recommendations the federal Environmental Protection Agency made in 2015. The standards specify concentrations of pollutants known to have human health effects, including cancer-causing chemicals, allowed in rivers and streams. For the majority of the standards, less pollution would have been allowed in West Virginia waterways

But in November, the West Virginia Manufacturers Association asked the joint rule-making review committee not to implement the standards. They argue that the EPA encourages states to incorporate state-specific science, and that because West Virginians are heavier, their bodies can handle more pollutants, and that because they drink less water, they are less exposed to the pollutants. They have commissioned a worker to gather that state-specific information.