SL Rez
Joined SLU

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
We pay over $4.00/gal around here. I thought the extra money was going toward something worthwhile that the state government is doing. If we're just making the oil company fat cats richer I am not on board with that.
Well, there is an added gas tax that goes to road maintenance, which I'm for. But apparently we've been paying this hidden surcharge for a while now. If that's going into oil company profits, it needs to end now, and there should be refunds of some kind.

ETA: One of the few things I don't miss about living in San Diego is the insane gas prices there.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
We're watching closely up here in BC. We've had poorly explained higher prices than the rest of the country for years too.

Keeping in mind that Europe is laughing at us whining about gas prices.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Can we go back to that Greyhound bus for a moment? Do I need to fold my birth certificate up and put it in my wallet? I live 18 miles from the southern border. What if I walk down to the beach without my wallet? Can BP accuse me of being "illegal" and detain me until my husband hires a lawyer? wtf is this?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
It's the CIIIIRCLE of abuse!

I wonder how long until that bloke's wife leaves him. You know, the head of HR?

eta: ha, tweeeet deleeeeted

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Hmmm. That looks like a classic non-apology apology. "I apologize for your having bad feelings but I don't acknowledge that anything I did was responsible."
And it's all about how bad he feels. Classic gaslighting from an abusiver, to my mind.

It's a very good letter she wrote, turning down the job, and the guy is now internationally infamous (it's apparently made the TV news in Australia!). I've not checked, but according to Glass Door (or whatever the website is called where people post reviews of what it's like to work somewhere) he's a real bully.

ETA: Glassdoor.co.uk And I've just checked out the reviews, and a lot of them call him out, either by job title or by name: https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Reviews/Web-Applications-UK-Reviews-E859659.htm

Last edited:

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Well if this isnt f*cked up I don't know what is:

Revealed: FBI investigated civil rights group as 'terrorism' threat and viewed KKK as victims

Some highlights:

The FBI considered the KKK as victims and the leftist protesters as potential terror threats, and downplayed the threats of the Klan, writing: “The KKK consisted of members that some perceived to be supportive of a white supremacist agenda.”
The FBI’s monitoring included in-person surveillance, and the agency cited Bamn’s advocacy against “rape and sexual assault” and “police brutality” as evidence in the terrorism inquiry.
That's right folks, being opposed to rape and sexual assault makes you a terrorist.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Well if this isnt f*cked up I don't know what is:

Revealed: FBI investigated civil rights group as 'terrorism' threat and viewed KKK as victims

Some highlights:

That's right folks, being opposed to rape and sexual assault makes you a terrorist.
Along with anti-racism and support for environmental causes advocated by indigenous activists. A lot of totally legit activists at Standing Rock wound up in jail, for example.

The FBI, like all law enforcement here, is full of racists and misogynists. We would be in very serious trouble if we lost our voting rights and could only resist directly. Painting antifascists and indigenous as criminals is the warning shot. These racist cops don't recognize anyone as American citizens except white men. And they have propagandized leftist activists as criminals to such a degree that a large chunk of the public will support the police in any crackdown that might occur.

This is the reason for the potency of the hashtag #kamalaharrisisacop. If she's distrusted too much, the left will work to undermine her candidacy. I think she'd make a great candidate because of her experience and assertiveness but the fear of the cops on the left is very justified.

We don't hear much about it, but some of the protesters from Ferguson have been found dead, in similar circumstances - dead in burned cars. Who the fuck is doing this and getting away with it?

Demographic change is making the softer forms of voter suppression increasingly ineffective. We can expect the fascists to turn up the heat. Past a certain point, we will become a frank apartheid/prison state. I am so fucking tired of people acting like this kind of talk is excessive. It is the obvious outcome of what the fascists are openly trying to do.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

From the news story:
A Donald Trump supporter reportedly armed with a gun barged into a Texas library in an attempt to stop a drag queen reading books to children.

James Greene was arrested on suspicion of trespassing after refusing to leave Houston’s Freed-Montrose Library, but claimed he was detained for being a "white Christian" and accused staff of satanism.
Trump supporter 'shows up to library with gun' because drag queen was reading stories to children

Also, of the same event,
HOUSTON (CN) — Christian activists who tried to stop Houston libraries from hosting “Drag Queen Storytime” because it allegedly promotes the LGBT community’s “secular humanist” religion lack standing, a federal judge ruled Thursday, dismissing the lawsuit.
https://www.courthousenews.com/opponents-of-drag-queen-story-hour-tossed-from-court/

ETA: Somehow this does not surprise me:

In his original complaint, Christopher said he sued “in his capacity as a community leader,” and that he and his co-plaintiffs, including De Factor Attorney Generals and Special Forces of Liberty, “have been violently and/or viciously persecuted by the LGBTQ church and devout members of the Secular Humanist religion for refusing to respect and endorse a worldview that is objectively immoral, obscene, and subversive to human flourishing.”

Last edited:

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Poor guy - this reminds me of when the "Blush Spider" stories were circulating. Until someone sent me the Snopes link I was actually lifting toilet lids and looking ... :oops:

FACT CHECK: Two-Striped Telamonia Spider

Edited to say I don't think the story is false, it just reminded me of the fear of being bitten on the ass by a spider. I can't imagine being bitten, well, where the Australian man was bitten. Spiders must really like him.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
First conviction in the UK for fgm (it's the fourth case to be prosecuted, but the earlier ones have resulted in acquittals).
The defendants, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, denied FGM and an alternative charge of failing to protect a girl from risk of genital mutilation.

Mrs Justice Whipple warned of a "lengthy" jail term as she remanded the woman into custody to be sentenced on 8 March.
Mum guilty of girl's genital mutilation

The mother is from Uganda:
While the parents were on bail, police searched the mother's home and said they found evidence of "witchcraft".

Prosecutor Caroline Carberry QC said two cow tongues were "bound in wire with nails and a small blunt knife" embedded in them.

Forty limes and other fruit were found with pieces of paper with names written on them stuffed inside, including those of police officers and a social worker involved in the investigation.

"These people were to 'shut up' and 'freeze their mouths'," Ms Carberry said.

"There was a jar with a picture of a social worker in pepper found hidden behind the toilet in the bathroom," she added.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Virginia governor Ralph Northam is being called on to resign after it came to light his student page in the 1984 Eastern Virginia Medical School yearbook appeared to contain a photo depicting an individual in black face.

The photo - which is on the page under Northam's name and above his biographical blurb - shows two individuals, one in full blackface and caricature costume, and the other wearing a Klan robe. It's unclear which of the two is Northam; but the photo's location on the yearbook page makes it evident that he's one of them. Either one is fairly damning. The Eastern Virginia Medical School verified that the image of the yearbook page is accurate.