Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Meh - I understand the thinking. If you have to wait until only a month, or a couple of weeks, before [holiday] to put out the [holiday]-themed stuff, what's supposed to go in the "seasonal" section in the meantime?

By my observation, the commercial holiday cycle usually goes something like,

Valentine's Day
Easter
Mother's Day
Independence Day
Halloween
Christmas

The huge gap before Independence Day can pretty easily be filled with generalized "summer" stuff - orientated around barbecues and beach trips. After Independence Day too - you can evoke Labor Day if you want to, but it's still just the exact same generic "summer barbecue" stuff; plus toward the end you have Back-to-School if you're the kind of store where that has relevance. November doesn't need anything - Thanksgiving is culturally popular but it isn't even close to commercialized in the same way the holidays on either side of it are.

But between Christmas and Valentine's Day is just this weird empty lull. You can't fill it with "generic winter stuff" because there's no such thing, not in the same way that there's generic "summer beach and barbecue" stuff. Some stores like to do Super Bowl displays; locally here in Louisiana Mardi Gras stuff starts going up around this time (but doesn't really kick into high gear until after V-day). But otherwise there's nothing going on until Valentine's Day. May as well start putting out the purple candy.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
You can't fill it with "generic winter stuff" because there's no such thing, not in the same way that there's generic "summer beach and barbecue" stuff.
You are kidding right?

Sports store or toy store? skis, skates, ...

Clothing store? coats, hats, ....

hardware store or car repair store? tire chains, heaters, ...

'generic' store (pharmacy or whatever)? anything from above

Let me guess, you have never lived in a cold state, right?

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I should bloody hope so too, there are spiders I'd like armed police assistance with and aussie spiders are a whole level more horrifying.
What is it with people and spiders? Now the 'water bugs' we get in NH i can agree with - those things fly, swim, crawl, are armored, cause your hand to swell up if they bite you, and are pretty much impossible to kill. A college roomie taking entomology caught one because a truck pushed it into the pavement then annoyed it by putting it in a killing jar .... yes, he was VERY drunk to even try doing that.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
You are kidding right?

Sports store or toy store? skis, skates, ...

Clothing store? coats, hats, ....

hardware store or car repair store? tire chains, heaters, ...

'generic' store (pharmacy or whatever)? anything from above

Let me guess, you have never lived in a cold state, right?
I grew up mostly in northern Ohio. :p

We're talking about stores with "seasonal" aisles, where they stock Halloween and Christmas and Easter candy during those times.

A store that sells heaters ALWAYS stocks heaters, all year long. Same thing with a store that sells gloves, or sporting goods. Sure they stock MORE of those things during the winter months, but that's not the same thing as the case with truly seasonal stuff; once Easter is over, the Easter candy and decorations and every single trace of "Easter" in the entire store all go away completely until the next year. You can't buy chocolate Santas in April and you can't buy Easter egg dye kits in August.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I grew up mostly in northern Ohio. :p

We're talking about stores with "seasonal" aisles, where they stock Halloween and Christmas and Easter candy during those times.

A store that sells heaters ALWAYS stocks heaters, all year long. Same thing with a store that sells gloves, or sporting goods. Sure they stock MORE of those things during the winter months, but that's not the same thing as the case with truly seasonal stuff; once Easter is over, the Easter candy and decorations and every single trace of "Easter" in the entire store all go away completely until the next year. You can't buy chocolate Santas in April and you can't buy Easter egg dye kits in August.
Yep, I know what you're talking about. That's common in many grocery stores and drug stores around here.