WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Massachusetts Supreme Court rules against judge who moved forward with case against protestor over prosecutor's objection

After filing an emergency petition last week asking the Massachusetts Supreme Court to intervene in her dispute with a Boston Municipal Court Judge, Richard Sinnott, the state’s highest court ruled in Rollins’ favor Monday morning. The Justice who handled Rollins’ petition, Frank Gaziano, said that Sinnott had “no authority” to ignore Rollins’ recommendation and forge ahead with the prosecution of a Straight Pride counterprotester.

Sinnott’s actions infringed upon the separation of powers between the judiciary and executive branches, Gaziano ruled, citing cases dating as far back as 1806. “The prosecutor’s sole authority to determine which cases to prosecute, and when not to pursue a prosecution, has been affirmed repeatedly by this court since the beginning of the nineteenth century,’’ he wrote.

The Justice also chose to wipe clean the criminal record of the counterprotester in question, Roderick Webber. If Sinnott’s ruling had been upheld, the disorderly conduct charge Webber faced—a “victimless crime,” Gaziano wrote in his decision—would have been the beginning of Webber’s record, which could have impaired his future. At a press conference following the decision, Rollins says that attaining expungement for Webber made her particularly proud.

The ruling is the latest in a dispute that has unfolded in the wake of the August 31 Straight Pride Parade, a controversial event that drew a large crowd of counterprotesters. 36 were arrested during the event, and in keeping with her platform pledge to halt prosecution of low-level and poverty-connected crimes, Rollins recommended dismissal of charges or release without bail for many of the nonviolent protesters. However, she was met with resistance in Boston Municipal Court from Judge Sinnott, who chose to push past Rollins and enforce charges anyway, and even ordered defense lawyer Susan Church handcuffed and arrested in court when she questioned his authority.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
A Pennsylvania couple who went on a giddy spending spree after a bank accidentally deposited $120,000 into their account are now regretting their spendthrift ways after going to trial on theft charges.

“It probably wasn’t the best thing in the end,” Robert Williams told local station WNEP-TV, explaining that they “took some bad legal advice” on the issue.

Over a two-and-a-half-week period in June, Williams and his wife, Tiffany, who carried a balance of $1,121 before the error, withdrew more than $100,000 of the surprise deposit, using it to make a down payment on a Chevrolet SUV.

The couple also bought a camper, a car trailer, a race car and two four-wheelers, as well as using it to pay bills and to support needy friends to the tune of $15,000.

It took three weeks for the bank, a branch of BB&T, to notice the error by which time about $13,000 was left. The bank told the couple they were responsible for the return of the money.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
OMG....I know it's mean to kick someone when they're down, but that was a fantastically stupid thing for them to do. Seriously.
In business law I learned about this as an issue where a court would apply a Doctrine of Reasonableness. As in, a Reasonable Person would recognize that this is an error and owes a duty to notify the bank of this unexpected deposit.

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
In business law I learned about this as an issue where a court would apply a Doctrine of Reasonableness. As in, a Reasonable Person would recognize that this is an error and owes a duty to notify the bank of this unexpected deposit.
While I would absolutely lurve it if I suddenly had hundreds of thousands of dollars 💵 in mai checking account, only an idiot would consider it to be an unscheduled visit by Sandy Claws.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I was going to screenshot this but it's worth reading the replies:

PS His bio puts his location in Florida
Judging by this quote on his profile he's lost a few friends over the last few years:

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” - Thomas Jefferson.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
So years ago, Linden Lab accidentally credited me with L$ 5 million too much, over the course of about two dozen Lindex trades. I didn't spend or withdraw the funds, but I also didn't complain when they took it back about a month later.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
So years ago, Linden Lab accidentally credited me with L$ 5 million too much, over the course of about two dozen Lindex trades. I didn't spend or withdraw the funds, but I also didn't complain when they took it back about a month later.
You'd probably not be risking 3 to 5 for dumping 5 mil into various SL strippers tip jars but you also might have not been logging in ever again once found out. Hilarious way to go, tho.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
U.S. takes 12-year-old Bahamian refugee from godmother, incarcerates her in migrant-child facility

Kaytora Paul, 12 — accompanied by her godmother — had flown from Nassau to West Palm Beach Sunday night after being evacuated from the hurricane-ravaged Abaco island. However, when the two landed in Florida, U.S. Customs and Border Protection transferred them over to Miami International Airport and ultimately separated the pair because the woman wasn’t the child’s biological parent, the girl’s mother, Katty Paul, told the Miami Herald Tuesday.

Officials also refused to give the girl’s biological aunt, who had come to pick her up at the airport, custody. The young evacuee is currently being housed at His House Children’s Home in Miami Gardens, under the custody of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. His House is a facility used by the U.S. government to house unaccompanied migrant children. The girl would be considered an “unaccompanied minor” because she wasn’t physically accompanied by her biological mother or father.

“I thought losing my house was devastating. Or having to relocate to a different island or country was devastating,” Katty Paul said. “But when I found out that they got her, my baby, I mean, there are no words. It was at that moment that I really lost everything.”

Paul told the Herald her 12-year-old ended up with her godmother after rescuers came for the family.

“But there wasn’t enough space. At that point you have to make a decision. I sent my 12-year-old with her godmother, while I stayed with our two youngest and my husband stayed with our adult son,” she said.

Getting her child back won’t be easy. The mother, although having arrived in Miami on Tuesday, can’t pick her up. Paul was told she had to go through the process of applying to be her daughter’s sponsor with HHS. In order to get custody of her daughter, Paul would have to collect documentation that would prove she’s her mother — like a birth certificate, government identification as well as proof of address. In the past, this process has taken anywhere from weeks to months.

To make matters more challenging, Paul says U.S. officials told her that she can only stay in the U.S. until Sept. 26.

“I don’t even want to think about what that will look like — if I have to leave here before being able to claim my own daughter,” she said. “You should hear her voice. She’s out of it. Crying, depressed. She wants her family but we can’t do anything.”
This administration is utterly soulless.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts