WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

or if you want to go straight to the (literally stormfront) video:

but if you read the article, you'll get to see the Rockland County GOP chair saying "OMG THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T REPRESENT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY'S POSITION but still it's not wrong okay"

Last edited:
  • 1Angry
  • 1Screwdriver
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Govi

Romana

SL Rez

or if you want to go straight to the (literally stormfront) video:

but if you read the article, you'll get to see the Rockland County GOP chair saying "OMG THAT TOTALLY DOESN'T REPRESENT THE REPUBLICAN PARTY'S POSITION but still it's not wrong okay"
I heard that on the car radio yesterday.
It's par for the course for Republican ads. Over the top, name-calling, and irritating as frak.
Even when it doesn't say what party placed the ad you can tell. 😡
This one is particularly bad, though. All that "storm" stuff is a page out of the Q-ball playbook.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
911 dispatcher fired after mocking drowning caller

Police spokesman Aric Mitchell said Friday that Donna Reneau dispatched emergency personnel to find Debbie Stevens, who'd driven into an apartment complex parking lot to try to avoid flooding.

Stevens spent the last frantic moments of her life on the phone with Reneau, who dismissed and mocked her.

Stevens was out delivering newspapers Aug. 24 when floodwaters swept away her car.

She dialed 911 to beg for help, but Reneau answered and returned that panic with mockery and contempt.

The Fort Smith Police Department released audio recordings of the call.
Stevens was on the phone with 911 for about 24 minutes as water filled up her car.

Reneau: "You're not going to die. I don't know why you're freaking out. It's OK. I know the water level is high."
Stevens: "I'm scared. I'm sorry."
Reneau: "I understand that but you freaking out - doing nothing but losing your oxygen up in there so calm down."
Stevens: "When are they going to be here?"
Reneau: "As soon as they get there."

Police and firefighters responded to the scene about 12 minutes after Stevens called, but it took more than an hour for them to reach her. By the time they got to Stevens, she had died.

Her body was recovered from her SUV in a nearby creek.

Body camera footage shows the area flooded in several feet of water.

Stevens: "I'm scared. I've never had anything like this happen to me before."
Reneau: "This will teach you next time don't drive in the water."
Stevens: "Couldn't see it ma'am. I'm sorry or I wouldn't have."
Reneau: "I don't see how you didn't see it. You had to go right over it, so."

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
There are so many people like this. I have learned to not show any distress in the ER because it will just lead to being treated with meanness and sent home with no diagnosis (though they make sure to do all the billable imaging!)

You would think first responders and ER people would have training on this, and in fairness actual paramedics have always been great, but the people around them, not so much.

This person either has been poorly trained or it’s typical of the training she did get (I suspect the latter). People don’t seem to be getting enough training in dealing with distress and trauma.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
If you read that article, she wasn't fired for this.

He said Reneau had turned in her two week's notice and the call with Stevens came in on her last shift.
Baker said the police department will investigate further to see if policies were followed and if those can be improved.
But he said even then, in this instance the dispatcher wouldn't have been fired.
"She did nothing criminally wrong. I'm not even going to go so far as saying she violated policy," Baker said.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Public School must mean something different over there. Here Public School means your ordinary government-run School. Private schools are the ones for the rich.
In England (not sure about the entire UK), the term "public schools" is used for private schools for the upper-classes. I have no idea why, I've just learned to immediately juxtapose public/private when I hear them.

Arkady Arkright

In England (not sure about the entire UK), the term "public schools" is used for private schools for the upper-classes. I have no idea why, I've just learned to immediately juxtapose public/private when I hear them.
Not sure about this, but I think it was because anyone rich enough could send their child to such a school, rather than just the children of nobility & church.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not sure about this, but I think it was because anyone rich enough could send their child to such a school, rather than just the children of nobility & church.
TIL that according to the Encyclopedia Britannica,

The term public school emerged in the 18th century when the reputation of certain grammar schools spread beyond their immediate environs. They began taking students whose parents could afford residential fees and thus became known as public, in contrast to local, schools. By the late 20th century the term independent school was increasingly preferred by the institutions themselves.
Public school | British education

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
To further derail this thread by discussion of public school's, who here is old enough to remember the British TV series The Avengers, with Patrick MacNee and Diana Rigg? MacNee wrote a fascinating autobiography, "Blind in One Ear" and spoke quite candidly about the public school experience, which he described as a rather harrowing trial-by-fire for the upper classes. He was born into an eccentric aristocratic family, and mostly raised by his mother and her female partner. I recommend the book as a highly entertaining read. He was a bit of rascal, and pulled no punches about himself.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I went to a copy of a British public school, but in Australia. I understand it was significantly toned down and I didn't board there, so I avoided most of the rough edges. The kids in the boarding houses were pretty rough on the rest of us though.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer