WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
This is part of a whole long thread, if you have the stomach to read it.
Alabama.
Thanks! I am following it now, it appears to be live. It’s pretty late in the day for this, too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ellie

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Does Rump seek war with Iran as a means to win the next election, no matter the cost?

The Trump Administration Is Thirsty for War, Intelligence Be Damned
On Tuesday, a British military official told reporters at the Pentagon that there isn’t evidence Iran is any more of a threat that it has been in the past. “We are aware of their presence clearly and we monitor them along with a whole range of others because of the environment we are in,” said Major General Chris Ghika, adding that “there has been no increased threat from Iranian-backed forces in Iraq or Syria.”
When asked by MSNBC’s Chris Hayes whether he trusts the administration to not manipulate intelligence reports, Sen. Tim Kaine (D-VA) said he doesn’t. “As a member of the Senate, I actually also have information about the things the U.S. is doing to provoke and poke Iran,” he said. “I think there is an effort underway by the U.S. to try to instigate Iran into doing something, and if they do something in response to U.S. provocation, the administration … will use that as their pretext for 125,000 troops, or as the president said today, more.”
Though some Republicans have cautioned against the administration getting ahead of itself in regard to Iran, others practically seem giddy at the idea of unleashing America’s military might on the nation. “Two strikes, the first strike and the last strike,” Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) said flatly of how the United States would wipe out the nation during an appearance on Firing Line With Margaret Hoover.
British general says no increased Iran threat in Syria and Iraq, prompting rare rebuke by Pentagon
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “Major General Ghika speaks as a military officer in the US-led coalition focused on the fight against Daesh in Iraq and Syria.

“His comments are based on the day-to-day military operations and his sole focus is the enduring defeat of Daesh.

“He made clear in his Pentagon briefing that ‘there are a range of threats to American and coalition forces in this part of the world. There always have been, that is why we have a very robust range of force protection measures’.

Ellie

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
A New Crusade for White Christian Europe? Not a Good Look – Byline Times

For anyone to be seriously comparing their work as a ‘crusade’, especially in a 21st century, really gives an indication of their intent: to inspire action through their rhetoric, to significantly marginalise groups, perhaps even commit violence against them. Every time Orban talks of a ‘crusade’, every time Nigel Farage speaks of ‘Judaeo-Christian’ values bear in mind the ruin that those supposedly ‘Christian’ soldiers visited upon their own lands, on their own neighbours, centuries ago.
No religion is a religion of peace once the beaucrats who run them grow political ambitions.

Ellie

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
BBC - Religions - Islam: Abortion
It is reported that Bosnian women raped by the Serbian army were issued a fatwa (Islamic legal ruling) allowing them to abort, but were urged to complete the abortion before the 120 day mark. A similar fatwa was issued in Algeria.
Congratulations US talibangelicals! You're officially more evil and oppressive than some schools of Islamic jurisprudence.

Although this move by US assholes appears to be about controlling women's bodies, isn't it also about outbreeding the rapidly growing so-called 'non-white' population predicted to overtake the so-called 'white' population before too long? I should look up some stats to see if this would indeed be the case.

(So-called because let's face it, real racial purity is a (thankfully) lost cause since we have genes from all our varied ancestors at this point in history.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
BBC - Religions - Islam: Abortion

Congratulations US talibangelicals! You're officially more evil and oppressive than some schools of Islamic jurisprudence.

Although this move by US assholes appears to be about controlling women's bodies, isn't it also about outbreeding the rapidly growing so-called 'non-white' population predicted to overtake the so-called 'white' population before too long? I should look up some stats to see if this would indeed be the case.

(So-called because let's face it, real racial purity is a (thankfully) lost cause since we have genes from all our varied ancestors at this point in history.
I’m convinced this is it, that it’s really about white supremacy.

They want to force white teenagers and young women to give birth while also having a pretext to make poor women and WOC into felons and stripping them of their votes. They could wind up in for-profit prisons, too.

Neo-Confederates remain committed to forced labor in multiple senses of the word.

The emphasis on abortion is recent. There has never been an indisputable theological reason for Low Church Protestants to require a total ban on abortion. If I recall correctly, making abortion an issue in this way has been connected to Dominionism and similar politics.

There’s a Catholic presence in the “pro-life” movement but Catholic politicians in majority Catholic states have not been as bound by it as are the evangelical-friendly Protestant Republicans. So these recent no-exception laws are just a Neo-Confederate power grab, like the rest of what some people are calling “Christofascism.”

I’m sure there are plenty of people who have been fooled by the argument that it’s genuine religion, but that still doesn’t give them a valid theological argument they weren’t bothering to use before Dominionism took off.

A partial abortion ban with exceptions *has to be* a different theological argument.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ellie and Rose Karuna

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Excellent thread by the admirable Stonekettle

and, on the subject of Stonekettle, a very powerful piece by him in his blog, on how he feels about being thanked for his service in the US Navy, by civilians who don't know him : Thanks, But It Was Never About That.

Reminds me rather of an old family friend, now long dead, who spend a very eventful couple of years in British Special Ops during WW2 (Italy and then Yugoslavia), where he earned several medals which, apart from the campaign medals, he would never wear on Remembrance Day parades -- which he attended only to commemorate his fallen comrades -- because he hated to remember what he had to do to earn them. (That was, according to my parents, not uncommon among British veterans of both world wars).

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU