Second Life improved marketing ROI by 300%

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
From Venture Beat:

Linden Lab was able to triple its return on investment (ROI) for marketing for the virtual world Second Life by targeting users with personalized pitches based on their preferences.

That’s normal for a lot of mobile app makers these days, but Linden Lab, which was born as a PC-focused startup in 1999 and launched Second Life in 2003, has been able to adapt to the world of targeted marketing in a partnership with Arm Treasure Data. During the past two years working with Arm Treasure Data, Linden Lab hit its marketing targets and cut its customer acquisition costs by 17%, claims Darren Helton, senior digital marketing manager at Linden Lab, in a statement.

• 1Interesting
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela and Govi

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I see how effective they are, they constantly bother me with ads to join SL and I do so every day. :kittyball:

Last edited:
  • 1Yay!
Reactions: Free

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I see how effective they are, they conmstantly bother me with ads to join SL and I do so every day. :kittyball:
Now if they can only turn that into a new primary account every day...

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
MARKETING!

So THAT's the secret sauce.

...I love how Linden Lab is so responsive and proactive now...

Trifina

SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"customer acquisition costs "....

Sounds like we are dealing with the Borg, here.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
If the implant fits

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Well, it depends on how much they pay for marketing and how they define ROI...

No hard numbers are shown, so I bet they spun the numbers until it made them look successful.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jupiter

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
No hard numbers are shown, so I bet they spun the numbers until it made them look successful.
Though I've no doubt some of the data has been massaged to provide the best public facing presentation of it, the article (and accompanying video) is really about Arm Treasure Data and their work with Linden Lab. Typically a company isn't asked, or doesn't care to spend the time, to offer themselves up for a case study or "customer spotlight" for some third party operation if the work they produced or product they sold them turned out a failure.

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
No one would claim that if they watched the video on the OP link...
They only mention it in passing... It seems like maybe they'd still say that to investors, but behind the scenes they MAYBE are leaning to go after the "other" markets.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Linden Lab had a lot of valuable data sitting in its data warehouse, but aside from being able to run limited ad-hoc analyses, the company wasn’t able to make use of it.
This is something companys ramping up out of start-up should be able to do, as marketing is a primary driver of increasing revenue, and, let's face it: survival. That it's taken this long for Linden Lab to actually do something about it outside of ad-hoc queries only shows that they have gone from "We should really something about this" to "We're doing it",. They should have done this years ago.

Linden Lab is years late to it.

Last edited:
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Sid and Seven

Free

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Amity Slade

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
The article just boils down to this: After years of doing its own marketing despite zero marketing expertise within the company, the Lab finally hired a company with actual marketing expertise to do its marketing.

Touting that fact is reminiscent of the Dominos ad campaign: "We finally admit our pizza sucks, and from now on we are going to try to suck less."

Better marketing is an improvement. However, I don't think Second Life has a problem convincing new people that they want to try SL. Second Life has a problem when it comes to providing a new user experience that makes users want to stay after they have tried it.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
Well, it depends on how much they pay for marketing and how they define ROI...

Exactly what I was thinking. This article is just an ad for Arm Treasure Data. The video sits in ATD's YouTube channel, not Linden Lab's, as a testimonial. Lots of buzzwords, not a lot of substance.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It's really hard to imagine Linden Lab clouding an important announcement with buzzwords and fuzzy numbers though.

• 2ROFL
Reactions: Jupiter and Soen Eber

Adeon Writer

If their marketing is that terrible all they have to do to improve their ROI is spend less money.

Same user retention, half money spent = doubled ROI