Second Life alternatives

Woof

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a virtual world similar to Second Life. I mean with many people, editable and realistic avatars (I was a realistic animal in Second Life), beautiful landscapes and whose environments (or lands) are quickly loaded. Well, these are my impressions:

Sinespace: similar to SL, beautiful lands, but few people | teleport is slow
Sansar: it didn't work on my pc some months ago, always looks like a beta version | very few people
IMVU: many people, but it doesn't seem an "open" world
OsGrid: few people | slow | does not have the variety of environments and avatar that SL has
VrChat: some people, not as SL | slow | I don't like the cartoon lands
Gaia Online: I don't like cartoon avatars

Are there any other virtual worlds to consider I don't know?

Thank you !
Woof

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think you named all the major ones already, and you listed the flaws of them spot on.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
There's also There.com.

It's been around a while, and I wasn't sure if it even still existed, but their website looks to be active so it seems There is still there.

I never tried it myself, but if I was to judge it based solely on what we see on the homepage, I don't think you're going to like it!

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Here is another list.

But I think you nammed anything of worthwhile size. SL, for all it's flaws, is still the largest and most popular of it's type.

Honestly the closest game with the most comparable playstle of open world and any audience is probably Minecraft, but it's less connected and of course, very stylized in it's design.

• 1Agree

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
There's also There.com.

It's been around a while, and I wasn't sure if it even still existed, but their website looks to be active so it seems There is still there.

I never tried it myself, but if I was to judge it based solely on what we see on the homepage, I don't think you're going to like it!
It's a shell of what it was, and a terrible shell at that. Not worth considering at all.

• 1Thanks

Caliandris

I've said it before and I will say it again... creators who slap multiple 1024x1024 textures on *everything* like AppleFall for example, are slowly killing SL. Mesh areas ought to be quicker to load, but they aren't and I believe that's the reason. On the other hand, it always has to be a balance between performance and appearance, so if you're asking for amazing graphics AND quick to load, good luck - at the moment, I think you have to establish a balance between the two. The problem is that creators are very reluctant to compromise (or can't be arsed) and so things are laggy because there are multiple heavy textures. The worst I've found so far was a bottle of lemonade with seven 1024x1024 textures, including the one for the shadow and a tiny ribbon.

Tigar

🐯 De Most Inappropriate Tigar 🐯
SL Rez
Joined SLU
🌟not on file
SLU Posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a virtual world similar to Second Life. I mean with many people, editable and realistic avatars (I was a realistic animal in Second Life), beautiful landscapes and whose environments (or lands) are quickly loaded. Well, these are my impressions:

Sinespace: similar to SL, beautiful lands, but few people | teleport is slow
Sansar: it didn't work on my pc some months ago, always looks like a beta version | very few people
IMVU: many people, but it doesn't seem an "open" world
OsGrid: few people | slow | does not have the variety of environments and avatar that SL has
VrChat: some people, not as SL | slow | I don't like the cartoon lands
Gaia Online: I don't like cartoon avatars

Thank you !
Woof
Two weeks later, you haven’t posted even once again. Why should we care?

ETA: One week. Whatever.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
There's also TAG, as far as I know, the only surviving non-hypergrid opensim based world, run by SL old-timers and with a distinct "old school SL" feel. But I have to admit that although it's my personal favourite but it doesn't meet all the requirements.

• 1Thanks