Sculpt map import to Blender

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I'm trying to find the plugin for this, but any information I could find had broken links.

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
I'm trying to find the plugin for this, but any information I could find had broken links.
Is a plug-in even needed? As I recall, Firestorm let's you export sculpts/prims as Collada files to your computer, in the process converting them to mesh. You have to be the owner of the objects you are exporting of course. It's not necessarily very good mesh though, so they will need work. But once it's exported, I imagine it's a simple matter of opening it in Blender, with no plug-in required.

A quick search of my own reveals Chin Rey has often responded to similar questions in the official forum, so I'm sure she will have wiser words than mine.

Also apparently it can be done from Singularity:

How to convert a prim-based object in Second Life or Opensim into a mesh object on your hard drive using the Singularity viewer (also works with Firestorm!)

Also maybe read this thread on the official forum if you already have your files in whatever the native 'Sculptris' file type is.

Last edited:

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I ended up doing the export-via-SL.

I'm only using them as templates, sculpts use an absurd amount of triangles.

For this thing, compare 2048 triangles vs 320 -- sculpt on the left, my mesh on the right.

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
A quick search of my own reveals Chin Rey has often responded to similar questions in the official forum, so I'm sure she will have wiser words than mine.
I'm flattered. :)

But I think you covered it qutie well. There's no need for a plugin, the dae exporter incuded in many TPVs, including both FIrestorm and Singularity, does the job. There is one deliberate limitation to prevent IP violations though: you have to be the creator of both the prim and the sculpt map. I think you also have to have the sculpt map in your inventory for it to work if it's an uploaded one (not sure about that). The converter works with local sculpt maps btw so there's no need to upload just to convert.
Another thing to keep in mind is that what you get is the LoD model displayed on your screen so you have to rememebr to cam in or out to get the one you want.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
But I think you covered it qutie well. There's no need for a plugin, the dae exporter incuded in many TPVs, including both FIrestorm and Singularity, does the job. There is one deliberate limitation to prevent IP violations though: you have to be the creator of both the prim and the sculpt map. I think you also have to have the sculpt map in your inventory for it to work if it's an uploaded one (not sure about that). The converter works with local sculpt maps btw so there's no need to upload just to convert.
I just uploaded the map on beta, since that's where I'll be double-checking the mesh anyways.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Victory is mine.

After having to flip it face down in blender so the hand didn't turn the wrong way . . . and then rotate the UV for the "face" 90 degrees so it pointed the right way without excessive script maths, I got it workjing.

3 not especially well-matched LODS!

And it occurred to me that it might be an excuse to dust off my clock makings from a long time ago . . . except I'd need 12 instead of 16 teeth gears.

But now that I have some vague idea of what I'm doing it hopefully wont take as long.

I'm picking things up faster with the changes to the UI. \o/

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
Isn't it easier to make a path and extrude in blender than go through the whole hassle of importing and exporting sculpt maps?

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Isn't it easier to make a path and extrude in blender than go through the whole hassle of importing and exporting sculpt maps?
They're more for shapes and lining things up in a template sort of way. Cleaning up the mess of excess vertices in a sculpt is an exercise in madness.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: OrinB