Scripting Examples, You Say?

Trilo

No, I'm not offering up any SineSpace scripting examples... but I'd like to talk about them.

Over in the SineSpace Discord there was some talk recently about scripting. For those not familiar with the platform, SineSpace is built on the Unity game engine. It supports C# in a very limited capacity (unless you're building a whitelabel grid, you're limited to whitelisted scripts/extensions), as well as Lua (click here for scripting reference, and here for the Lua guide). One thing that came up in that discussion was that while Lua may be powerful and capable, there are not currently very many scripting examples out there, meaning that would-be coders don't have much in the way of 'known-good' code that they can play around and tinker with.

Yesterday, @Adam Frisby announced that they'd asked user Torgon Woodget to make some open source race track scripts, and he's kindly obliged (Thanks, Torgon!), you can find those on Github.

With that in mind.... what other kinds of examples would you be interested in seeing? Or if you're familiar with Lua and would like to take a crack at writing up some scripting examples, feel free to chime in here.

Last edited:

Free

Real life NFT
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was going to ask why they don't support Javascript but..no, hahaha, kidding! JS in Unity is dead or been dying so long as to be dead. No one wants to support it anymore.

C# :bed:

Adam Frisby

Yeah - C# has some heavy restrictions client-side (sandboxing/security mainly), although editor scripts work just fine. General scripting we do in Lua - which is something we need to do more examples of.

(Lua is the language used in a lot of games though - it has the advantage of being very quick to execute & simple syntax -- World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, etc & tons more use it for their scripting.)

We're looking into wider support for C# outside of our White Label customers, but I have a strong distrust of the Mono runtimes security guarantees (I feel like without there being a robust well-known, well-tested end-to-end CIL validator & sandboxing framework it's got a lot of potential for catastrophic failure).

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'd say just good examples of the different sorts of code; though, code for making a club board might be fun....

I got a couple of classes on Udemy, but then had a bunch of rl stuff hit me so I've yet to finish them.