SCOTUS set to overturn Roe and Casey

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So federal legislation that protects abortion rights (and a thousand other health related procedures) is wrong, and relegated to states, but federal legislation that limits those rights is not wrong.

can has headache noa
That's another amusing aspect of this. After the GOP-loaded Supreme Court ended Roe, punting the decision to the individual states. they will now find themselves being forced to tell the GOP to take a hike when Senator Graham's national abortion ban bill, should it pass, finds itself in front of the Court.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
That's another amusing aspect of this. After the GOP-loaded Supreme Court ended Roe, punting the decision to the individual states. they will now find themselves being forced to tell the GOP to take a hike when Senator Graham's national abortion ban bill, should it pass, finds itself in front of the Court.
Somehow I do not believe that is what this Supreme Court would do. I think that they would find a way to justify it.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Theocracy update from the states: U.S. troops are volunteering to fly people [using personal planes off duty] seeking an abortion from states that have banned the procedure to states where they can receive care, arguing that they donned a uniform to fight for freedom—including “freedom of choice.”

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I understand that it's difficult and that a lot of people just don't have the option, but I cannot understand why any woman of childbearing age, or their family, would now voluntarily remain in Texas or states with similar legislation.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I understand that it's difficult and that a lot of people just don't have the option, but I cannot understand why any woman of childbearing age, or their family, would now voluntarily remain in Texas or states with similar legislation.

The problem is, most don't. At this point, companies operating in this country might want to one, stop giving money to the gop fascists, or consider moving out of the country entirely.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
via Salome Strangelove's tweet:
Florida female student athletes have to report their menstrual history to play: When they got their first period, when they had their last one, etc. A third party has access to that info, and parents and doctors are raising red flags
It's behind a paywall :(

Alternate link via jezebel.com

the form asks student-athletes five intimate questions about their periods, including at what age they started menstruating and when they had their last period. Florida districts including Palm Beach, Broward, Hillsborough, and Sarasota counties will now store this sensitive data regarding the health and bodies of minors on a digital platform operated by a third party, Aktivate. The software company, founded by former News Corp. executive Jon Miller, has only existed for a little over a year.
While Aktivate says the student information will be kept secure and confidential, critics noted that the company is not run by a medical care provider, meaning it’s also not protected by HIPAA laws.

Last edited:

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Oh. That's why the focus on the third party non-medical care provider. Because the other stuff isn't new.

For nearly two decades, Florida schools have asked student-athletes about their periods, a practice that the Palm Beach Post calls optional. It’s part of a larger annual physical form that doctors across the country use to clear kids for sports.
I assume there's also a form male athletes have to fill out that tells people when they had their first erection/orgasm/other (how often, in a hour, they get an erection, do they have an erection right now while filling out this form, does filling out this form give them an erection? Does the word menstration immediately deflate their erection?) because that's equally important for people to know and track.

Last two decades. So some time starting in roughly 2002? Flordia and others "across the country" have been tracking this for 20 years?

Every time I learn more and more about women in sports, the more WTF is going on in the world. From abusive molesting Olympic doctors; to women soccer players mistreatment compared to men soccer players; to, well, this.

I knew I was born in the wrong time line when I heard my father, when I was, I don't know, 6?, look at a little league catcher and say something like "damn shame allowing her to play." 'Why daddy? Why are you so sexist,' I innocently asked. 'Because she has no future in baseball.' *stares at a sea of little leagures* 'Um, daddy, 0.001% have an real chance of a future in baseball.' Only 0.5% high school baseball players have a future in baseball; 10.5% of college baseball players have a future in baseball (and 1 in 10 high school baseball players have a future playing baseball in college). She doesn't have a future in baseball? Damn near no one has a future in baseball.

What was I angry about again? Oh, right, being born in this time line.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Last two decades. So some time starting in roughly 2002? Flordia and others "across the country" have been tracking this for 20 years?
" Republicans have controlled Florida’s governor’s office and Legislature since 1999. When voters consider their choice in this year’s governor’s race, how they perceive the last two decades will be critical. Are we Floridians better off with one-party rule by the GOP? "

So, yeah, makes sense.