SCOTUS set to overturn Roe and Casey

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I've also found appealing to authority works wonders too, as mum isn't a Trumpy type, rather an authoritarian type of conservative. "Mum, <the health authority> states <health guidance>."

Just so long as it's an institution and isn't her 50 something babychildren telling her things, it can go over well.
So, when my mom's mom died, my mom said that her mom would never listen to her, and if she started to do that, to call her on it - I have, once [and it did work]. The problem is, my mom is basically a good person so she, like too many of us, thinks the best of people, even when there is proof.

Also, she knows I get my news from the 'internet' and luckily, she doesn't trust the internet at all, even though people she does trust on the TV pull stuff off the internet. Thing is, she will listen to my husband directly, but if I invoke him as one of my sources on what's going on over in Ukraine and Russia, she won't listen to me on that front either.

'Mom, my sources are Russian and Ukrainian. I'd think they'd be right on things; more so than non-Slavic sources.' 'But the world has changed so much since I was a kid, so its changed there too, its not Soviet Russia anymore' And so it goes. And on US stuff, well, since her mom died, she's suddenly going more conservative and I blame CNBC [she watches it constantly for stock market stuff, but also, 'they can't lie because if it messes up the stock market....' so she watches their news too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
That's really just a normal occurrence as we age.

I more blame the fact that my mom was an only child and her mom was fairly rich. Because this just started when her mom died, and my mom is nearly 80 now.

So for almost 70 years my mom has been fairly progressive, and only now, suddenly she's not going 'I'm a yellow dog Democrat' or 'I'm a blue dog Democrat [which was the last three years] but 'I'm a independent.'

Then again, a part of me feels like some of it is being contrary - like, if I point out something that she'd normally say, she'll legit contradict me, even if she's said the same thing the night before.

ETA: Not debating your article - it makes sense and I'm not a shrink, just a basketcase, but rather trying to explain my mother and how she interacts with me. I suspect because as she put it after I was declined for autism testing because covid and my mom being 5 hours away] that I was always special. And it wasn't said in a mean way but in a 'you just aren't like most people' and my mom does think I'm one of the kindest people in the world, and very compassionate, but she doesn't think I'm grounded in this reality, so spends a lot of time telling me to grow up when I talk about idealistic ideas on how to make the world better.

Also, seems like maybe that article explains why people think I'm so much younger; because I'm so curious about everything.

• 1Hug
Reactions: WolfEyes

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'm becoming more liberal as I get older. I've gone from left-leaning Democrat to "burn the whole fucking mess to the ground" liberal.

Speaking metaphorically, of course.

:whistle:
I don't like guns, but I'm to the point of 'a good rifle might be a good investment.'

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm becoming more liberal as I get older. I've gone from left-leaning Democrat to "burn the whole fucking mess to the ground" liberal.

Speaking metaphorically, of course.

:whistle:
:qft: Yeah, me too. For me, it was the religious right and the NRA's control of the Republican party that sealed my resolution as a Democrat. As the far right became more and more radical, I moved farther and farther left.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I more blame the fact that my mom was an only child and her mom was fairly rich. Because this just started when her mom died, and my mom is nearly 80 now.

So for almost 70 years my mom has been fairly progressive, and only now, suddenly she's not going 'I'm a yellow dog Democrat' or 'I'm a blue dog Democrat [which was the last three years] but 'I'm a independent.'

Then again, a part of me feels like some of it is being contrary - like, if I point out something that she'd normally say, she'll legit contradict me, even if she's said the same thing the night before.

ETA: Not debating your article - it makes sense and I'm not a shrink, just a basketcase, but rather trying to explain my mother and how she interacts with me. I suspect because as she put it after I was declined for autism testing because covid and my mom being 5 hours away] that I was always special. And it wasn't said in a mean way but in a 'you just aren't like most people' and my mom does think I'm one of the kindest people in the world, and very compassionate, but she doesn't think I'm grounded in this reality, so spends a lot of time telling me to grow up when I talk about idealistic ideas on how to make the world better.

Also, seems like maybe that article explains why people think I'm so much younger; because I'm so curious about everything.
My mom was the same way. And I'm still not anything special. I've never stopped wondering if I am grounded in reality. I have my doubts. I even "space out" when reading a book now whereas before I didn't. I don't think I'm autistic. I just live inside my head because there is nowhere else to go there isn't someone trying to manipulate me or use me for their own gain in some manner. It's not what I wanted but it's what I have.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
My mom was the same way. And I'm still not anything special. I've never stopped wondering if I am grounded in reality. I have my doubts. I even "space out" when reading a book now whereas before I didn't. I don't think I'm autistic. I just live inside my head because there is nowhere else to go there isn't someone trying to manipulate me or use me for their own gain in some manner. It's not what I wanted but it's what I have.
Well, in my case, I'll likely not ever know for sure, unless I can actually coordinate a meeting between the testing psychologist and my mom. But after reading this long thing on how there is trauma with growing up ADHD, especially if undiagnosed, and that could be my problem too.

Regardless, we need to get you better people to be around.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well, in my case, I'll likely not ever know for sure, unless I can actually coordinate a meeting between the testing psychologist and my mom. But after reading this long thing on how there is trauma with growing up ADHD, especially if undiagnosed, and that could be my problem too.

Regardless, we need to get you better people to be around.
I haven't been around any of those people since 2006 when I got the hell out of Lousyana. Haven't managed to make any lasting friendships since. The only ones I seem to manage are the ones where I do all the "work". One sided friendship doesn't really do it for me.

Come to think of it, all of my friendships have been one sided. 🤔

Isabeau

Merdeuse
"Schools" to reprogram detainees women.

Reminds me of scenes in the Handmaid's tale series.

Near the end, she says "Put your hands where the belong" and it reminds me of when my mother was in catholic boarding school. She was woken up by a nun who slapped her *my mother was sleeping on her stomach) and told her to show her hands. At the time she hadn't understood, but later she realized they must have thought she could be masterbating.

• 2Sad
Reactions: Govi and Grandma Bates

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Judaism apparently isn't really a religion, or not so real as to qualify for the same degree of protection under the First Amendment as are certain flavours of Christianity.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Someone turn the heat off, please. It's getting awful warm waiting for both shoes to drop.