School Shooting Near Columbine Injures Eight

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
This shit need to fucking stop!
It never will, not as long as the NRA owns the Republicans, and they control the government. From one mass shooting to another, and another, the only thing the GOP ever does is offer "thoughts and prayers", as if that makes it all okay. Fucking pussies!

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Gunstuff aside for a moment, WTF is wrong with kids?

We used to just settle our differences by duking it out, not shooting a bunch of random people.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Gunstuff aside for a moment, WTF is wrong with kids?

We used to just settle our differences by duking it out, not shooting a bunch of random people.
I wish I knew. I think part of it is the first-person shooter craze, with socially maladjusted kids spending every waking hour they're not at school playing FPS video games, and part of it is copycats seeing all the attention school shootings get on the news and want their own 15 minutes of fame. But I really don't know for sure.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I wish I knew. I think part of it is the first-person shooter craze, with socially maladjusted kids spending every waking hour they're not at school playing FPS video games, and part of it is copycats seeing all the attention school shootings get on the news and want their own 15 minutes of fame. But I really don't know for sure.
General loss of the concept of "sanctity of life" because society is just fuckity-poo in general.
Even if I HATED someone, I didn't want them dead.

Zaida Gearbox

Hubman and I attended a townhall meeting last week with our local police department because there's been a serious spike in violent crimes in our community. They told us how 4-5 years ago they had a bunch of 12, 13, and 14 year olds running around vandalizing cars, breaking into houses and garages, etc. Now, it's those exact same kids running around with guns.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
If you (general) accept the use of firearms to the general public, you accept the (ab)use of them as well.
Guns are no conversation piece that lies on the coffee table for that purpose. They are made and used to kill people. And don't come with that target practice and self defense baloney.
Everyone who owns or justifies that others own them, accepts that these kind of dramas will happen a lot more than in countries where firearm posession is forbidden for the general public.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
If you (general) accept the use of firearms to the general public, you accept the (ab)use of them as well.
Guns are no conversation piece that lies on the coffee table for that purpose. They are made and used to kill people. And don't come with that target practice and self defense baloney.
Everyone who owns or justifies that others own them, accepts that these kind of dramas will happen a lot more than in countries where firearm posession is forbidden for the general public.
Well, I -mostly- agree. Guns don't belong out unless you are using them, but they are useful for killing other things, not just people. And rural areas, they are still useful tools [but they tend to use long arms, not pistols].

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Ashiri and Clara D.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
General loss of the concept of "sanctity of life" because society is just fuckity-poo in general.
It's....iffy. To a point, I don't think younger children can really be expected to understand "the sanctity of life" the way an adult does (or, well, should). Although I guess that's not really the problem here, as this guy was 18. But still.

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
It's....iffy. To a point, I don't think younger children can really be expected to understand "the sanctity of life" the way an adult does (or, well, should). Although I guess that's not really the problem here, as this guy was 18. But still.
I did.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez

I think that when talking about shootings, it's important to put them in context of overall violence. The murder rate was actually double what it is now when I was a kid:

The U.S. Murder Rate Is Up But Still Far Below Its 1980 Peak

Violence isn't skyrocketing because of video games or for any reason. It's gone down overall despite some very recent trouble. We have no reason to think that kids today value life less than kids in the 1980's, who were actually far more likely to murder someone.

I think it's fair to say that mass shooters are caused by some mechanic that only affects a small percentage of people. I can't prove anything, but my theory is that we are seeing a gradual shift from economic motivators for crime to more "political".

A lot of mass shooters recently have been in their 50's and up like the Vegas shooter. It's not just the kids today. Not all of them played video games. I think a lot of it is some unholy combination of social isolation and whacky cult beliefs people read about online. Online echo chambers of people who all think the same are also extremely dangerous. I think an average person was a lot less likely to have really out there cult beliefs when they were dependent on their neighbors for social interaction, because odds are, someone nearby would dispute your weirder beliefs. Obviously cults still formed in the old days, but they behaved differently.

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
I must stop watching CCN in the mornings, the news is too sad too often.
Putting Kleenex aside, the spirit of those who have tackeled shooters is what makes America great, although of course they shouldn't need to and should be supported by their damn government issuing laws to stop these tragedies.
If just a few of them can make it up the ranks to high government posts then, just perhaps, America has the hope of a brighter future.

Last edited:

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Even tho globalization has slowly taken over and it's increasingly hard to do things without getting help from another country or fellow man...

the american system has brainwashed everyone into the whole Bootstrap method( earn it yourself. Every one is on thier own)

no government or healthcare help... Everything is being stretched thin..

Parents too busy trying to survive to make ends meet that they ignore/forget their own kids.

And what usually happens is society ends up becoming thier mother and father..

along with being in a hyper media age easily access to information( and Misinformation).

We have giant Mental health crisis just bubbling to explode and unless we change our ways soon its not goona be pretty when people snap..