Saving a Sim to a USB stick/upload

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Anyone have links to the procedure for doing this? A friend of mine died, and I promised her husband that I'd find a way to save the sim so he could heep it on his PC.

About half the build are buildings and landscape features I created, so between myself and her husband we should be able to full perm about half of it, the most significant portions including the main house, pond, and dock.

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
I saved my OpenSim standalone of 4 regions to a Seagate backup drive.
I can log in to the copy on the backup drive and use it. But anything I build there isn't saved.
So I think you need to use the one on your PC or laptop to make changes, then save it to the backup.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Is this coming from Second Life or OpenSIM?

I think Firestorm may have an import/export for prim based builds, not so sure on MESH. If you can full perm stuff, then you should be able to export it and then import it into a self hosted, private, OpenSIM.

You would have to manually place everything back. I don't think there is a way to move the terrain map, so that would have to be manual and approximated.

If it's already in OpenSIM, I think several OS hosts offer OAR export for a fee. If you can already get in the backend of the OS instance you can run a command do dump the region. Off the top of my head it would be something like

Change Region (Region Name)

Save Oar filename.oar

You would want to double check that.

Loading an OAR works the same only it's load Oar, you would put the .oar into the /bin/ directory of OpenSIM.

• 1Thanks

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Is this coming from Second Life or OpenSIM?

I think Firestorm may have an import/export for prim based builds, not so sure on MESH. If you can full perm stuff, then you should be able to export it and then import it into a self hosted, private, OpenSIM.

You would have to manually place everything back. I don't think there is a way to move the terrain map, so that would have to be manual and approximated.

If it's already in OpenSIM, I think several OS hosts offer OAR export for a fee. If you can already get in the backend of the OS instance you can run a command do dump the region. Off the top of my head it would be something like

Change Region (Region Name)

Save Oar filename.oar

You would want to double check that.

Loading an OAR works the same only it's load Oar, you would put the .oar into the /bin/ directory of OpenSIM.
Caveat on Firestorms exports: only things that are thoroughly made by the user, including any sculpt maps and applied textures, so things might have to be re textured if third-party textures were used.

There should be scripts available to backup and restore terrain files (using llModifyLand, llGround, etc) usable by anyone with terraform rights, or an option to export the RAW file (private-island estate owner only). Problem with the scripted ones is that the permissions will be locked down so it won't be usable in OS.

Example of a terrain widget: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/EdenScape-Creator/2059951?page=6

If someone could reverse engineer the output, it might be applicable to OS, -- the tricky scripting bit is the scanning, llModifyLand should be easier to implement, it's just a matter of parsing whatever format the data is in.

That said, if at all possible I'd recommend futzing with RAW files first.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Firestorms exports only things that are thoroughly made by you, including any sculpt maps and applied textures.
It sounds like Soen and the husband have access to both accounts that own a lot of the objects. Even if it's across two accounts, they could export and import at least that stuff.

Anything else may need to be replaced with similar items. Or replicated. There are ways to extract textures from the viewer cache which could help with that part, though there are ethical issues there.

• 1Thanks

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
For prim and sculpt builds, save as "backup", not as "collada" with Firestorm - or as XML with Singularity.
For meshes you should have backups of the original dae files so there's no need to export them at all. But if you've lost the originals, export as collada and be prepared for some restoration work in Blender.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber and Clara D.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
HOw does Firestorm backup & export stand up? Still fraggleing the export process - does it have any issues? It seems the easiest and most recently maintained thing for doing that - and I'm hoping its export product plays easily with OpenSim.

What assets are transferred and are they transferred as an object or a collation of separate prims? Are textures and texture effects (repeats, colors, etc) preserved for each face? I'm working with mostly conventional primsets, nothing tortured. How about simple scripts, like for doors?

I recognize I will likely have to tweak everything being exported regardless.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, it's been a bit since I used the import/export. But for prims, when you import it to SL or OpenSIM, your avatar basically rezzes a bunch of prims and positions/sizes them very rapidly. It doesn't move scripts. I am not sure it does textures either off the top of my head, so those may need to be placed as well.

• 1Thanks

Monica Dream

Welcome Year Zero
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
HOw does Firestorm backup & export stand up? Still fraggleing the export process - does it have any issues? It seems the easiest and most recently maintained thing for doing that - and I'm hoping its export product plays easily with OpenSim.

What assets are transferred and are they transferred as an object or a collation of separate prims? Are textures and texture effects (repeats, colors, etc) preserved for each face? I'm working with mostly conventional primsets, nothing tortured. How about simple scripts, like for doors?

I recognize I will likely have to tweak everything being exported regardless.
It's really fussy -particularly with textures and sculpts.

exporting should be fine (assuming that the entire build was made by the account doing the export), importing can be very dodgy and prone to mysterious "you cannot build here" type of errors. If possible create a large region -at least 512x512 and stand in the middle to import. That doesn't completely solve that error, but it's the best work-around I've found so far.

If possible, while you're exporting the builds from SL, copy the location and paste it into the description field of the prim. That will help a LOT when you go to restore it where-ever you restore it to (you'll be able to paste it back into place -"restore to location" works great when it works, but is only 60% reliable). I don't think there's enough room in the description field to save the rotation info, sadly.

That's the process I do when I move builds from SL and or between grids.

• 1Thanks