Sansar is listing on Steam

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We reached some extraordinary milestones in 2018. In 2019, we're aiming even higher.

This next year, we want to share Sansar and our community's creations with as many people as possible.
To do this, we plan on getting onto Steam - the place where more than half the VR market finds software, and an enormous new audience for us (and you!) to tap into.

As part of this, however, we're obligated to make significant changes to Sansar and how we process credit. One change will be to discontinue the Sandex as of December 4, 2018. After this date, we plan to move to a fixed conversion rate model, so that you can continue to create, share, and sell your amazing work for Sansar Dollars in the Sansar Store - just as you always have.

We know you must have lots of questions, and we encourage you to ask them at this week's product meet-up, and to check out the blog post our Chief Product Officer just published. This is a big step for us to take, but it's an exciting one, and one we're confident will benefit creators like you in the long run.

The future has never looked brighter. Thanks for growing with us.

See you in Sansar!
The Sansar team
obligatory post-quote text

Evola

Oct 19, 2018
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I wonder if the credit processing issues were the main reason SL never made it onto Steam, I can't imagine them being able to drop the Lindex really if that were one of the requirements. I think Sansar listing there is a good move overall, and should provide a brighter road map long term. Hopefully it gets listed as early access though, to set peoples expectations going in.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
Khamon, did you sign up to be a sansar creator? I got that email too and tbh I don't remember signing up to be a creator, i logged in a couple of times and that was it.
or is this email just a blanket one that everyone got and I'm reading too much into it?

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I remember registering when it was teh newz but don't remember whether or not I registered as a creator. My thought is that it's a blanket. They would do well to notify everyone they possibly can to spread the word and build the buzz.

EmpressOfCommunism

Too Cute for Capitalism ❤️
Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
One good thing I will say about Sansar is that I am seeing a lot of free clothing now for new people just joining. Hopefully the freebies plus the steam listing will boost it a little...but they still REALLY need to let people make their own skins. I don't like being stuck as a natural colour. ;P

Evola

Oct 19, 2018
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I got one too so pretty sure it was a blanket update email they sent out

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I got the same email, Couldbe Yue - I think it went out to Sansar users in general. All 5 of them.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
I got the same email, Couldbe Yue - I think it went out to Sansar users in general. All 5 of them.
There's at least 6 since my alex got one too. ;) so since we're all here, does that mean we haz buzz? :cheer:

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Wull I'm not really here. Sansar interests me not at all. But we can has forum so I posted the news when it came across my desk.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
I don't think Sansar is for the likes of us, the breathtaking potential that sl had in the early days is just not there.

I went, I saw, I meh-ed

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I've spent some time in Sansar recently, and it does keep improving - but I still don't know what the point of it is. It's fun to explore, but that's about it.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
I tried to like it - brave new world and all that - but to me it smacked too much of sterile experiences rather than individual experiences. that probably doesn't make sense but it does to me.. it doesn't have the engrossing 'yeah, I could do that.' and go off and do it - it's more like 'wow looks good, now what's next.'
that probably doesn't make sense either.
All I know is that sl viscerally grabbed me from the first day and every other alternative has been a poor relation - no matter how glossy or well behaved.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Sansar is definitely impressive in VR. I even had one of those OMG I get it moments when I was in an experience that had a feeling of scale that nothing SL ever has come close to. However, it's all beautiful but empty. I get what you mean about the lack of individual experience. It's all very on the rails and boring.

I would definitely recommend checking out Orphanage of Angels for halloween. Allison and I went all the way through it last night and we both jumped and screamed at the end (and we weren't even in VR). You have to find the key to go into the basement though (hint, it's in a room on the second floor). The whole thing is creepy as fuck and incredibly well done.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
BTW, have you tried VRChat? It is the closest thing I've found to that early feeling of wonder and craziness that SL had.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
this Orphanage of Angels thing isn't the numbakulla of sansar is it? I'm not a fan of horror movies I'm afraid, I can turn on the news when I want to be frightened witless.

I will try to find this vrchat thing though. although it might have to wait if it actually requires vr as my vid card packed up last week and I'm trying work out the spec for my new pc so am limping along with the onboard vid. *cries*

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
Sep 26, 2018
Second Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
I was lucky enough a few years ago to try a demo of an occulus overlay that gave you a dashboard, so got to pilot a 3d plane over various terrains poking my fingers in the air to push the dash controls. I thought it was very clever but the 3d wasn't up to true realism (they used low lod for distance stuff and you can tell it's more texture than 3d). It was fun but I'm not a gamer so I just meh-ed again. I'm a hard audience to please, I tell you. tbh I got more excited by the laser keyboards and the laser photocopier/scanner things.. I probably do need to get out more you know.

Sep 23, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I didn't get one, but I've not logged on since beta [unless its still in beta?]

Allison

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
Arkansas
Joined SLU
2/17
SLU Posts
It was very well done - the agonizingly slow walking really helped!

Sansar is definitely impressive in VR. I even had one of those OMG I get it moments when I was in an experience that had a feeling of scale that nothing SL ever has come close to. However, it's all beautiful but empty. I get what you mean about the lack of individual experience. It's all very on the rails and boring.

I would definitely recommend checking out Orphanage of Angels for halloween. Allison and I went all the way through it last night and we both jumped and screamed at the end (and we weren't even in VR). You have to find the key to go into the basement though (hint, it's in a room on the second floor). The whole thing is creepy as fuck and incredibly well done.