Sailing in SL

Archer

Arch Enemy
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That's one more thing I love about Bellisseria. You can sail for hours around it, exploring rivers and canals, as well as just cruising around the perimeter of the continent. Lots to see.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: OrinB and Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have houseboat too since a few days, and I bought my self a motorboat. Much easier to maneuver than a sail boat and indeed, it is a joy to cruise around in Bellisseria. Sim crossing could still need some improvement. When you touch the wheel while crossing you can still crash easily.

I wanted to call my boat The Unsinkable, but that would be The Unsinkable IV already by now.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
That one is cute, I usually use Michie's creations for sailing.... that being said I am clueless how RL sailing works and just tuck at the sails until I get sufficient speed.
I sail in RL (sailing dinghies) and tried building a boat that sailed realistically in SL using the SL wind system and everything, and gave up.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Brenda Archer

OrinB

tutti fruitti
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
That's one more thing I love about Bellisseria. You can sail for hours around it, exploring rivers and canals, as well as just cruising around the perimeter of the continent. Lots to see.
And that whole N-S 20sim stretch of straight open water is fabulous to sail down. You can really get some speed up and just enjoy it. The sim crossings even get simpler as you're just hading straight. Really cool for being able to cam out and get some great pics in time.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Archer and Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
And that whole N-S 20sim stretch of straight open water is fabulous to sail down. You can really get some speed up and just enjoy it. The sim crossings even get simpler as you're just hading straight. Really cool for being able to cam out and get some great pics in time.
AFAIK no major SL sailing system directly uses the SL wind as that is totally chaotic

Amity Slade

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
I very recently figured out not to sail across sim corners, which results in two sim-crossings in quick succession. Cutting across a corner like that seems to increase the odds of a crash exponentially. I think I haven't had a sim-crossing crash since I finally started avoiding crossing the sim corners.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
But if you try to navigate the smaller waterways between the house boats, you sometimes have very little choice to avoid those.

• 1Agree

RodeejahUrquan

Horns n' Furz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don't remember, hah!
SLU Posts
The only experience I have with sailing is being a part of a boat parade along with a bunch of fellow merfolk. But, I do like the fact that the Blake sea is GIGANTIC so in case I ever want to practice sailing along, I could just hop on over there. :>

• 1Like

Da5id Weatherwax

SL Rez
Joined SLU
08-20-2010
SLU Posts
I sail in RL (sailing dinghies) and tried building a boat that sailed realistically in SL using the SL wind system and everything, and gave up.
even many years back anything with a fore/aft rig worked *close enough* to realistic to be fun, the occasional square-rigger not so much but I understand there have been improvements in both over the years (and let's face it, even among RL sailors there's precious few of us that actually know how to handle a squaresail properly!). The SL wind, though, is effectively unsailable. Back in the day my boat could switch from using a windsetter to using the SL wind and I only tried it a few times for the amusement value. Even on long, narrow Lake Windermere with the mountains all around making the wind flukey as F you can't find wind as chaotic as the SL wind in RL, and at sea, even in the dirty wind around a craggy coastline you never get even that close to how crazy the SL "system wind" is.

• 1Like

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
AFAIK no major SL sailing system directly uses the SL wind as that is totally chaotic
Doesn't the SL Wind do a complete 360 in direction in an hours time? (besides going from dead to hurricane force completely at random)

Only thing I've found it good for is smoke stack/chimney/campfire smoke particles.