Royal baby: Meghan gives birth to boy, Harry announces,

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So ten minutes ago I learned about Archie Comics for the first time in my life because I could see you guys all joking about names and didn't know what the heck you were all referencing.
How did you actually not have that in your life when you were younger?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I think I mentioned it already when talking about superhero movies and why I'm not deeply into them; but my parents didn't buy me comic books. When I was old enough to have my own money I tried a couple of comic books but it was like trying to watch Lost for the first time in the middle of season 4, so I pretty much just didn't buy them for myself either and spent my money on other things.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I think I mentioned it already when talking about superhero movies and why I'm not deeply into them; but my parents didn't buy me comic books. When I was old enough to have my own money I tried a couple of comic books but it was like trying to watch Lost for the first time in the middle of season 4, so I pretty much just didn't buy them for myself either and spent my money on other things.
I think probably the only “comic” I’ve followed a substantial chunk of, was Elfquest. It was already gathered into book format, the older, more vibrantly colored ones.

I did follow Wolverine for a while.

This was all at least a decade ago, so I must have been in my forties. I don’t think I’ve ever liked the Archie comics, but I came across them as an adult.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I was fortunate that my first introduction to comics was a one-off, New Mutants #45. It was an engrossing story, about a school bully who was secretly a mutant. The storytelling was really good, and I was instantly drawn in and got into X-Men. I had a really cool comic shop that would let me read as long as I liked (I bought a lot of stuff, too). It happened right before one of the first big crossovers, the Mutant Massacre. It was glorious. Too bad the writing is not as good now, and death is even cheaper than it was back then (Jean Grey had just recently been resurrected and was part of the original X-Force). But man, those were great stories.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I never got into comics because they were too short a read. I preferred stuff like The Lord of the Rings. But I was *aware* of the Archie comics because they were on the newsstand, and passed them on the way to the real books. The newspapers and magazines were at the front of the bookstore, where people on the way to work could quickly grab one to read on the subway. My first exposure to superheroes was therefore the George Reeves Superman, on black & white TV, because color TV was for rich people back then.

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This is the Archie I grew up with. It was in a kids magazine called Sjors along with other cartoons:

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
So ten minutes ago I learned about Archie Comics for the first time in my life because I could see you guys all joking about names and didn't know what the heck you were all referencing.
I grew up with Archie, Casper and the like. I was introduced to them at a very young age at the local library.

So...If you weren't familiar with the comics I suppose Riverdale (the tv show) didn't ring any bells at all, or bring up any callbacks.