RIP U.S. Congressman John Lewis

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Someone with even an ounce of courage would still do the right thing.
Which would be the right thing for him to do, though? Had he attended, he'd rightly have been condemned for the hypocrisy of any show of respect he might try to make. To use an analogy from chess, he found himself in a zugzwang wholly of his own making.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Which would be the right thing for him to do, though?
Sorry?

He's the fucking POTUS. There are certain expectation for what he should do or how he should perform, depending on the situation. A *smart* president would sit through the vitriol and emerge on the other side at least vindicated that he didn't let politics get in the way of what he needs to do.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sorry?

He's the fucking POTUS. There are certain expectation for what he should do or how he should perform, depending on the situation. A *smart* president would sit through the vitriol and emerge on the other side at least vindicated that he didn't let politics get in the way of what he needs to do.
I agree, a smart president wouldn't be in that position in the first place -- it takes a very stable genius indeed to make his attendance at the lying in state of a hugely distinguished and respected senator at all contentious -- but Trump is who he is, and whatever else he may be, he's not at all smart.

Senator McCain had, I think, specifically requested that Trump not attend his lying in state or funeral, and, while I don't know if Congressman Lewis had expressed his wishes (I assume not, or we'd have heard), I'd have thought it would have been considered similarly inappropriate for him to attend this time.

All I'm saying is that I'm not sure that Trump's attending would have been any more disrespectful than his not attending.

That doesn't excuse him in any way -- it simply emphasises how singularly awful he is.

Free

Nasty Hugs
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
He found himself in a position entirely of his own making where whatever he did would have been wrong -- don't attend and be convicted of disrespect to the late Congressman Lewis or attend and be convicted of gross hypocrisy.
In the end, it all boils down to the fact that the orange man-thing creature is incapable of exercizing a basic human function, such as respecting someone.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The real question is, what did they switch over to?
The little bitches (yes, I'm feeling far more aggressive these days) couldn't stand to see strong black mena?

I'm guessing they switched over to that pargagon of strong, white man, Homer Simspon?.

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
"Libertarian hero"? Libertarian?
The Cato Institute will not have done that accidentally, so I have no clue what they are trying to say, but I wouldn't rule out mocking or irony or "he served to illustrate our values by opposing them".

Anya Ristow

Bernie Bro
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I did not know about this. Not all of it, anyway. I don't understand the acrimony.
Bernie did try to diffuse it, but obviously it didn't take.
The answer is still partially googleable. The part that won't apper in the CNN report is that JL lied about his opponent's civil rights record to get elected, he lied about Hillary's civil rights record trying to get her elected, and he lied about Bernie's civil rights record trying to keep him from getting elected. Another step in understanding the Sanders' supporters ire over civil rights expositions is to listen to the one they suffered through at the 2016 Nevada convention.

TL;DR they thought their guy had a pretty good civil rights record, and they watched as the establishment not only tried to strip him of it, they tried to confer upon the Goldwater girl the record of a civil rights hero. And John Lewis, once actual civil rights hero, was in on it. It was infuriating.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: danielravennest