[RFC] "This mad sexual brainwashing must be resisted"

2tee2

:D

PS
it's way beyond me when, how and why the single true satellite of USSR's, Bulgaria, became such a... khe-khe, "conservative" state

Last edited:

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
At least WHO has moved on to the 21st Century. Maybe "The Conservative Woman" will too eventually

Last edited:
  • 1OMG!
Reactions: 2tee2

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
I think that "Mad Sexual Brainwashing" wouldn't cut it as a band name, but would make an acceptable album title.
Not sure about album title, but maybe that obscure instrumental album filler that would be more honestly titled, In Our Defense, We Were Really Stoned.

See also: Revolution #9.

Also, the author of the article is a prevaricating twat.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
id love to hear what you guys, especially Innula, think

im personally like "what the heck?" :eek: way too tired and fed up but since so linked me to the article, a request for comments

thanx
Yet another conservative who thinks that if we don’t tell teens about sex, it will never occur to them to have it. It’s as if they have total amnesia for their own teen years, or something.

We do have what may be an example of the ineffectiveness of “abstinence education” on reducing teen pregnancy. In the U.S., states more likely to push teenage abstinence and restrict access to contraceptives, have higher rates of teen pregnancy and then higher rates of adult divorce. Ignorance cannot be bliss.

For a balanced approach I recommend the OWL (Our Whole Lives) program provided by the UU and UCC churches.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Bea McMahon

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Honestly I love listening to these guys going on about "sexualizing children" and "libertine attitudes" when the primary-school version of this program simply teaches that some families have two moms or two dads and that's literally it.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I think I'm too tired to think of sexual brainwashing music right now (which is, now I come to think of it, a thing, at least in SL -- a friend of mine was really into it) but I can nevertheless assure you that the article itself is serious bunk.

So no surprises there.

I'm not familiar with the details of the actual curriculum, but it's apparently entirely age-appropriate and it's this present government who made it mandatory for all schools (with the support of the opposition) and who are, quite rightly, dealing robustly with protests from the religious right.

The courts have been equally robust, and over the last few weeks the High Court has upheld various injunctions to prevent protesters causing disruption outside schools.

What's got the protesters really riled up is not that the curriculum is inappropriately sexualised but that it stresses throughout that same sex relationships are no more and no less normal and valid than are equivalent heterosexual ones.

Thus, for example, in the younger age groups, all discussion of family structures should take into account the fact that some of the children have a mummy and daddy, and some have two daddies, and some have two mummies, and some have only one mummy or daddy, and so on.... and that all these are perfectly normal and good and valid.

That's all it is. They don't like the fact that same-sex marriage and equal rights are now fully part of British civil society and law, and that the state will certainly step in to protect children by providing them with an alternative to extremist teachings, religious or otherwise.

ETA: I should add that point isn't about religious vs secular teachings on family, relationships and sexuality. It's about the simple fact that, quite separate from people's personal views moral values, beliefs and so on, there exists British social reality and part of that is the fact it's a matter of settled law and government policy both that sexual orientation is an entirely personal and private matter, and everyone enjoys the same legal rights and responsibilities.

Schools, quite rightly, have both to teach and practice that.

Last edited:

2tee2

offtopic, tat conservative woman co uk is actually lovelly

The Midweek Hymn: O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing

teh hymen, mah English is rather rustie, thingie appart

2tee2

a prolific man! roughly a hymn a day ...k, every three

"O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing" is a Christian hymn written by Charles Wesley. Charles Wesley wrote over 6,000 hymns, many of which were subsequently reprinted, frequently with alterations, in hymnals, particularly those of Methodist churches. Charles Wesley was suffering a bout of pleurisy in May, 1738, while he and his brother were studying under the Moravian scholar Peter Boehler in London. At the time, Wesley was plagued by extreme doubts about his faith. Taken to bed with the sickness, o...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Probably not but they're close. :p

What astonished me in the article was how they so effortlessly jumped from gay marriage to sex education as if there was a connection between the two.
In this context, though, there clearly is. Sex education in the UK is part of a wider curriculum about relationships.

It is, quite rightly, a matter of law and public policy in the UK that same sex relationships are as natural and normal as heterosexual ones and that discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation is as unlawful as discrimination on racial or religious grounds.

So a school can no more teach about relationships -- which at age of the children in question is what the lessons would be about -- and suggest there's anything wrong or unnatural about same-sex marriages and relationships than they could do about interracial or inter-faith marriages.

That is what's got this "Conservative Woman" publication so upset, and I would love to see their (presumably predominantly US) readers' reaction on learning that the main protests at the schools in question have been organised primarily by Muslim fundamentalists, though with some Christian fundamentalist support (which is one reason, I think, that HMG is showing such determination in keeping parents' religious views out of it).

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Personally I think that religious beliefs should carry no more weight than other shared opinions, like favorite starship captains or pizza toppings. I mean, people go really crook on Janeway and pineapple, but them's my sincerely held beliefs.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Personally I think that religious beliefs should carry no more weight than other shared opinions, like favorite starship captains or pizza toppings. I mean, people go really crook on Janeway and pineapple, but them's my sincerely held beliefs.
I was going to agree with you until you mentioned pineapple. Somewhere, some poor child is being fed pineapple on pizza, and that’s clearly just wrong!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It also touches on the wider question of the rights of children vs parents, which are viewed very differently in the USA from the way they are seen in many other places.

British law, in accordance with the European Convention on Human Rights, says that children, as human beings, enjoy the same rights as anyone else, and that when children or adults are unable to exercise these rights for themselves, because of their youth or because of mental incapacity, then these rights are protected and exercised by their carers, but subject to the supervision of the courts and only to the extent that the rights are exercised reasonably and in the best interests of the child/vulnerable person.

That's why adults in the UK can refuse necessary medical treatment for themselves, for example, but can't deny it to their children, and the courts can, and will, vest temporary guardianship in such cases in a doctor or hospital, who can then take the appropriate decisions on the child's behalf.

So in this case, as in any other case regarding a child's upbringing, the courts are legally bound to under the Children Act 1989 to regard the child's welfare as the "paramount consideration," which is why courts can, and do, tell parents that their religious views, no matter how sincerely held, cannot be allowed to prevail over what the courts regard at the child's best interests -- which include being told what the law and society regard as acceptable forms of marriage and family relationships.

Last edited: