Rewatching Older Series

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Even with the sheer amount of high quality stuff that is available to watch, lately I find myself revisiting older series as a form of visual comfort food. In the past month I have been binge watching Nashville, Ally McBeal and now Dead Like Me, which have held up well (Nashville is not that old anyway I just wanted to watch it again). What older series are you rewatching (or watching for the first time)?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Whenever I have a sewing project, I put in something that I know well enough that I can follow along while still focusing on what i am doing. My favorites are usually Babylon 5, Farscape, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norel (only six episodes, just enough to make a waistcoat), Buffy, Firefly, and Red Dwarf.

• 1Like
Reactions: Maggy Hazelnut

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Recently, most of The Office.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Just wrapped a rewatch of Cadfael. Still working through Dark Shadows. Wild Wild West is always a hoot.

• 1Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I feel like I should watch Bab 5 again, because I liked it, even if it wasn't Trek [and I feel like I want to watch that and Doctor Who again. Maybe over the week.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I just recently binge-watched a few seasons of Barney Miller and was surprised to see how well it held up after 45 years (dear god that makes me feel old). For the time it was a ground-breaking series and although some of the jokes about gays and women grate a little to modern sensibilities, the context of the station house very clearly showed a wide range of attitudes. Barney Miller, himself, always treated everyone with dignity and respect, as a counterpoint to the detectives who might not be quite so enlightened.

• 1Like
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have watched more older/ended shows than new shows in the past, just about ever.

More recently I have watched through Covert Affairs, Rizzoli and Isles, Quantico (not as old), Bones, Castle, and I am sure others I am forgetting.

I kind of like watching shows or seasons after they wrap up, because I like to push through everything at once. It makes it easier to keep track of things that resurface from several seasons back.

I am sure that the Ratings people hate this.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Veritable Quandry

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I just recently binge-watched a few seasons of Barney Miller and was surprised to see how well it held up after 45 years (dear god that makes me feel old). For the time it was a ground-breaking series and although some of the jokes about gays and women grate a little to modern sensibilities, the context of the station house very clearly showed a wide range of attitudes. Barney Miller, himself, always treated everyone with dignity and respect, as a counterpoint to the detectives who might not be quite so enlightened.
Nah, we just had better television back then.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
All the seasons of "Lost", which I ended up not liking as well the second time I watched it. Dark Shadows also, which I ended up loving even more than the first time I watched it. In some ways, it was kind of like watching an Ed Woods movie (but in a funny way) and in others, I thought the writers were brilliant for their time. David Lynch's Twin Peaks, I'm in the middle of that now. I would kind of like to watch XFiles again, it's on my list. I also enjoyed their comeback.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
It seems like watching older series that I never saw or revisiting ones that I have is the majority of my streaming. I'm on my second go-round with the Star Trek series right now because I am doing it with family. After that, we're going to hit Babylon 5 and Farscape.

I keep up with a few newly released episodes, such as The Good Doctor, This is Us and the modern Doctor Who, but for the most part am not particularly keeping up with currently running shows. By the time I get around to them, they too will be old. :)

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I recently went through all of Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and the original movie + made-for-tv movies. I generally go back and watch part or all of a previous season of a series before watching the new season, to remind myself what happened. I tend to binge a season when it is complete or near done, rather than weekly as it comes out. On my to-do list is rewatching all of Game of Thrones before seeing seasons 7 & 8. The gap in production was long enough I decided to just wait till it was complete, and haven't got round to it yet.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Some series you have to wait. I am currently finding out how much of a train wreck American Gods turns into and if they "complete" the story (which apparently now includes the novel, the season one changes, season two corrections, and material destined for a possible second book). I give it 50-50 odds of ever becoming a watchable story with some sort of conclusion.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
So will you be binging other period classics like Galactica 1980?
There was another one? [joking, but I could not stand the remake at all - it lacked the hokey charm].

And I am thinking about watching Space 1999 again.

But I don't like watching stuff on my computer that much, and no tv.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Old series I'm currently watching an episode or two before switching to another and back and forth:
UFO
Space: 1999
Thunderbirds (a favourite of my Dad's as he was a first responder for quite some time)
Kids in the Hall
SCTV
Jonny Quest
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Stingray
The Rat Patrol

I'm also slowing tracking down episodes of
Hot Wheels (69-71 with an African engineer and female mechanic! Plus Casey Kasem)
The Mighty Heroes (Ralph Bakshi does superheroes in the mid 60s!)
Space Angel (Alex Toth art! 52 stories but each was shown in 5 parts so 260 episoes)

• 1Like
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I recently went through all of Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, and the original movie + made-for-tv movies. I generally go back and watch part or all of a previous season of a series before watching the new season, to remind myself what happened. I tend to binge a season when it is complete or near done, rather than weekly as it comes out. On my to-do list is rewatching all of Game of Thrones before seeing seasons 7 & 8. The gap in production was long enough I decided to just wait till it was complete, and haven't got round to it yet.
I've been on again, off again watching the old Stargate shows, and they're a pretty fun watch.

The first season of Star Trek The Next Generation is awful. Even Patrick Stewart's acting is like jarringly bad somehow, and the episodes' stories and dialogue are just ridiculous. By the third season it's a decent show and of course later it got even better, but that first season, man.....ouch. I feel safe betting the only reason it didn't get canceled was because it was syndicated at launch and Paramount refused to kill it after all the money they spent on it - luckily that decision fully paid off in the end so yay. But seriously though, season one - go and watch that again. Holy cringe.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I've been on again, off again watching the old Stargate shows, and they're a pretty fun watch.

The first season of Star Trek The Next Generation is awful. Even Patrick Stewart's acting is like jarringly bad somehow, and the episodes' stories and dialogue are just ridiculous. By the third season it's a decent show and of course later it got even better, but that first season, man.....ouch. I feel safe betting the only reason it didn't get canceled was because it was syndicated at launch and Paramount refused to kill it after all the money they spent on it - luckily that decision fully paid off in the end so yay. But seriously though, season one - go and watch that again. Holy cringe.
I think that Star Trek is kind of known for being a bit weak in the first season, or even couple of season, no matter the variant. I'm up to DS9, fifth season...and am loving it all over again, but it's first season or two were a bit on the weak side as well.