Rewatching Movies

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Which movie or movies have you rewatched over and over? Can you think of which one you’ve seen most often? Which movie will you usually stop and rewatch if it comes on TV?

The ones that first come to mind for me are:

Grease
The Outsiders
The Last Unicorn
Standby Me
Shawshank Redemption
Chronicles of Riddick
Doctor Strange

I’ve probably seen Chronicles of Riddick more often than any other movie, not just because it’s one of my favourites, but also because it seems to be on tv once a month and I usually watch it.

I’ve rewatched the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies a few times, and I do love them, but they require a commitment of time and emotional energy so they aren’t on my most watched list. Yet.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Knutz Scorpio your list has a theme, mine looks like it was randomly selected by drunk monkeys.

Your list also made me think of John Carter, another movie I enjoy rewarching when the opportunity presents itself but not in my most frequent list yet, maybe 4 times so far.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
A few that come to mind

King of Hearts
Harold and Maude
Greasers Palace
Candy (1968)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

• 1Like
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: eku zhong and Pancake

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
For me the ONE movie I always watch when I see it on is Steel Magnolias. And I still cry during the scene at the cemetery when M'Lynn is talking about the death of her daughter, and I always burst out laughing when Clairee pushes Weezer forward when M'Lynn just wants to hit somebody.

A few others I almost always find myself watching are:

The Wizard Of Oz (my favorite movie, but it's rarely on. I have 3 different DVD versions, though)
Grease
Almost any Molly Ringwald movie from the 80s, but especially Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club
Independence Day
Bad Boys
National Treasure (I think because it's on so often at times when nothing much else is)

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A few that come to mind

King of Hearts
Harold and Maude
Greasers Palace
Candy (1968)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
I don’t think I’ve watched any of the first 4 on your list. I’ll have to look them up.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For me the ONE movie I always watch when I see it on is Steel Magnolias. And I still cry during the scene at the cemetery when M'Lynn is talking about the death of her daughter, and I always burst out laughing when Clairee pushes Weezer forward when M'Lynn just wants to hit somebody.

A few others I almost always find myself watching are:

The Wizard Of Oz (my favorite movie, but it's rarely on. I have 3 different DVD versions, though)
Grease
Almost any Molly Ringwald movie from the 80s, but especially Pretty In Pink and The Breakfast Club
Independence Day
Bad Boys
National Treasure (I think because it's on so often at times when nothing much else is)
Shiloh I know exactly what you mean about Steel Magnolias. For me it’s Fried Green Tomatoes. Just leave me alone for two hours and a box of kleenex if I’m watching it. No matter how often I see it.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Oddly enough though, I don’t think I could rewatch Bridges of Madison County. That one I cried too hard, gave myself a migraine, and I think I’d watch the whole thing dreading that last scene in the truck and lose my immersion.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
For a sample from a different generation I asked the 20 year olds in my house.

Of course the Harry Potter franchise because they grew up on them. Star Wars, episode 1 in particular. But then they said V for Vendetta. I wasn’t expecting that.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
It's funny, there are a number of movies I watch a lot - mostly comedies, but none of them would appear in my list of my favourite films. They are like security blanket movies, comfortable things you can depend on and return to again and again

The Incredibles
Trading Places
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Mystery Men
Galaxy Quest
The Way

The last one isnt a comedy but a bit of a feel good movie for me.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think you described it really well Tigger, most rewatchable are not necessarily favourites, more like a comfort or familiarity thing.

Two of you have said Galaxy Quest now and I don’t think I’ve watched that. I will have to go look into it.

• 1Like
Reactions: eku zhong
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I don’t think I’ve watched any of the first 4 on your list. I’ll have to look them up.
If you do, Greaser's Palace and Candy are definitely not for all tastes. You might want to try the other ones first.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pancake

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
Anything from Ghibli.. but most often My neighbour Totoro.
Duets (great movie when you're stoned)
Various Monty Python movies
Interstate 60 (if you haven't watched this I highly recommend you do)
One Night at McCool's (also obscure but funny)

However we often rewatch movies ... anything with Minions in it.. recently we rewatched some Indiana Jones... and the Fifth Element... Planet 51 is a great rewatch too...
Sliding Doors, I think I have watched 3 times..
Plan to rewatch Avatar soonish...

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I'm a nerd, I'll admit it. My go-to movies are apocalyptic and/or science-fiction-y. My all-time favorite is Twister. I can watch it over and over again, even though I can practically quote the whole movie. I also like:
Independence Day
Deep Impact
Armageddon
The Day After Tomorrow

Plurabelle Laszlo

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Three wishes for Cinderella and The Little Mermaid (both Czech, seventies, childhood favorites I also have watched as adult countless of times)
The Jungle Book (Disney 1967)
Casablanca
Once Upon a Time in the West (probably the movie I watched most often; I can quote almost every line and know the entire soundtrack by heart)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Airplane!
Star Wars Episode IV, V and VI (won't watch again, I reached my limit)
Cyrano de Bergerac
Night on Earth
Harold and Maude
Most Marx Brothers movies
Ghost Dog
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
The Intouchables
A lot of Hitchcock movies, first of all Rebecca, and among others North by Northwest, The Man who knew too much, Vertigo, Spellbound (but oddly I watched Psycho only once, and The Birds maybe twice)
The Matrix (I love it, but I fell asleep repeatedly, I don't know why. Means I know the first half much better than the second)
One, Two, Three (Billy Wilder)
Dr. Strangelove
Lord of the Rings
Breathless/À bout de souffle (1960)
The Pink Panther
The Blues Brothers
Highlander
I Hired a Contract Killer
The Fisher King
A Fish Called Wanda
Indiana Jones (1 and 3)
Mr. Nobody
Mad Max 2 and Mad Max: Fury Road

Oh, and even though it was not my decision; the daughter forced me to watch it over and over again: Hachi: A Dog's Tale. I cried every.single.time.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
The latest is English titled Legend Of Ravaging Dynasties. I’ve lost count. It is captivating.

Movies I watch over and over:
The Chronicals of Riddick
Cleopatra or any Liz
Death Becomes Her
The Fifth Element
Forbidden Planet
Godzilla (any version)
The Great Train Robbery
James Mason yeah
My Fair Lady
North by Northwest
The Sound of Music
Victor Victoria okay just Julie

edit: there is no S only Zuul

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Also agree that my favorite movies are not always the ones I re-watch the most. I don't usually pop in Brazil to kill a few hours. Many border on guilty pleasures territory.

Off the top of my head, I'd list:
  • The Adventures of Buckaroo Bansai Across the Eighth Dimension
  • Wasabi
  • Fifth Element
  • Big Trouble in Little China
  • Alien/Aliens (to bad they never made another movie in the series...I was looking forward to Alienses)
  • Repo Man
  • For a Fistful of Dollars/High Plains Drifter/For a Few Dollars More
  • Pyromaniacs, a Love Story
  • Prelude to a Kiss
  • The Maltese Falcon
  • Pacific Rim
  • Hard Boiled
  • A Chinese Ghost Story
  • Only Lovers Left Alive
  • Resident Evil series
  • Dracula (1931)
  • Young Frankenstein