Sid

Only available with a mug of coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 20, 2018
Limburg, Netherlands
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2009
Am I the only one around here who can't be bothered to watch a movie again or or a series episode I've already seen?

PandoraB

Sep 21, 2018
Movies I don’t pursue but often watch when they appear in the guide:

The Black Hole

Tron (both)
woah, I thought I was the only one. Love Black Hole, amazing model work, and well a very dark ending (specially for a disney film). And yeah Tron is amazing, still prefer the first one, if only for Wendy Carlos amazing score.

but yeah watch those every other year. Together with
E.T. (and yes Im a blubbering mess at the end, and each time I see it).
Its a Wonderful Life (same)
Wizard of Oz (same!)
Return to Oz
Cleopatra (1963)
Brazil
Beetlejuice
Cat People (1942)
Barry Lyndon
Night of the Comet
Double Life of Veronique
The Sacrifice (1986)
The Fountain

I could go on, but lets stop here.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I'm not generally one for rewatching things, but an exception to that is the movie Pretty Woman. I don't know why, but it has always made me happy. Any time it is on, no matter where I start watching it, I will watch to the end. Another is Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (which ironically references Pretty Woman). There are a few others that escape me right now, but those two are definite rewatches.

Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
This is kind of a difficult question for me. If I enjoy a film I tend to watch it multiple times. For example, just using films that were released this year, I've already watched Deadpool 2 and The Death of Stalin three times, and Isle of Dogs four or five times. When a film speaks to me in some way I have a tendency to obsess over it.

So in order to actually answer this thread, I'm going to concentrate less on the letter of what you're asking and instead focus on the intent, which I think is that you're asking for “comfort films." That is, films that aren't necessarily what you'd consider the best films, rather the ones that are easy to watch and feel like a pair of comfy slippers. With that in mind...

• To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • Deadpool
  • Big
  • Contact
  • Grease

There are probably others, those are just the ones that immediately occur to me.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
Sep 20, 2018
Illinois
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Am I the only one around here who can't be bothered to watch a movie again or or a series episode I've already seen?
I rewatch a ton of movies really, I pretty much have to eliminate 2-3 times from any list I would make for this thread.

It's gotten worse in the past few years, part of my job for the last 13 years now is literally "watching TV". Though I didn't have access to every movie channel in existence until the last 8 years.

Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Just thought of another favourite rewatch target, Swimming to Cambodia. This film is seriously like a meditative aid for me. I can flip it on, close my eyes, and just let the dialogue wash over me.

Tris

busy pushing buttons
Sep 20, 2018
somewhere in Germany
Joined SLU
02-19-2011
SLU Posts
I'm not generally one for rewatching things, but an exception to that is the movie Pretty Woman. I don't know why, but it has always made me happy. Any time it is on, no matter where I start watching it, I will watch to the end. Another is Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion (which ironically references Pretty Woman). There are a few others that escape me right now, but those two are definite rewatches.
I did watch Pretty Woman a lot of times too (and will do in the future) because for me its an example of a perfect movie.
Story is ok, casting is phenomenal, the timing was perfect and so on. That is not to say its one of the best movies ever made, it just ... fits.
Also i think its a fairy tale. Not to be read like Brothers Grim but to be watched. A modern fairytale in our time for our time. And we all love fairytales ;)

Rose Karuna

It's cold, Xerdan is wearing a hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
Someplace new soon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
woah, I thought I was the only one. Love Black Hole, amazing model work, and well a very dark ending (specially for a disney film). And yeah Tron is amazing, still prefer the first one, if only for Wendy Carlos amazing score.

but yeah watch those every other year. Together with
<SNIP>
Cat People (1942)
Night of the Comet
I could go on, but lets stop here.
Oh wow - I'd forgotten about Cat People, both the 1942 and the 1982 versions. Honestly, I liked them both.

Also it calls to mind another one that I've watched about four (maybe more :shiftyeyes:) times, the 1983 movie "The Hunger" with Catherine Deneuve (OMG I thought Deneuve was so HOT in that movie). :bed:

Night of the Comet was another one of those hilarious Zombie movies that I've also watched more than once.

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 24, 2018
USA, upper left corner
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
My list shares a lot of the titles here, but I don't think anyone has mentioned one that hooks me over and over: House of Games.

Actually just about any decently made con-game/insanely-clever-scheme-move-not-starring-Tom-Cruise will hold my attention, but there's something so dark and creepy about House of Games that it's mesmerizing. Plus, Joe Mantegna!