Results of the First Virtual World Economic Survey Are In...

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
VIRTUAL WORLD RECESSION1 oh Hamlet you are amusing. Logins are down five percent from this time last year. Today's concurrency is only 52,000 logs.

More than half the merchants are part time hobbiest playing shop for fun as much as money. That's to be expected on a role playing platform that primarily entertains. What percentage of SL users are merchants I wonder; SL provides a full time income to 42.3% of what percentage of the population?

Everything will be okay if we'll all give up our virtual shacks and move to Sansar. But I've said too much. That's next month's column.

Sep 24, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oct 2010
SLU Posts
SL as a full-time job and primary source of income does not necessarily equate to earning at least a living wage.

I would also guess that the 124 responses to the survey are skewed toward merchants who are actively trying to do a high volume of sales. Part-time and less active merchants are probably less likely to take the time to respond to a survey.

Given what a Mickey Mouse™®© operation Second Life is, in terms of its economy and Marketplace, I have trouble believing there is any significant number of merchants making a living selling content in Second Life.

ent|ty

Unpopular Opinion
Jan 6, 2019
Interesting. No more responses. I guess people want to 'stay positive' or put their heads in the sand.

I am certainly not a large vendor, having come waaaaayyyy too late to the party, but I make a few pennies each month.

In December, I noticed that sales were about 50% of previous years, and slightly down over the entire last year.

A decline in transactions of people grabbing freebies is also down, and may be another indicator there is not a lot of new accounts coming in.

SL will continue to decline unless SL is revamped, made easier for the average user to use and UNDERSTAND what SL is (it's not a game), and sim owners optimize their 'experiences' so we don't have to download 2 GBs of textures when we visit..

Everything will be okay if we'll all give up our virtual shacks and move to Sansar.
Umm, are you going to start creating content for a platform that had maybe 16 people on it on Saturday night? (including me and a friend?)
I see the potential in Sansar, and am struggling whether to be an early adopter or not.. but wow. Even a noob like me needs a bit more ROI.

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I was quoting Philip Rosedale from SLCC two-thousand-and-something though he didn’t know Sansar so said the next phase.

His point was that we casual creator hobbiest fashionista user types would be pushed aside by real professionals using the platform in meaningful mainstream ways.

That possibility evaporated due to LL’s lack of professionalism and the resulting reality is that we casual creator hobbiest fashionista user types have settled into a comfortable stasis on the Grid.

edit: plarform is not a proper word

Last edited: