Yay! Republicans Wake to a Blue Virginia

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
For those of us in or near the Northern Virginia area (I work there, even if I don't live there), this is HUGE!

One of the reasons the GOP has had a hammerlock on Virginia for so long is gerrymandered voting districts, but that advantage is finally being eroded. Now, with Dems in full control of the state government, every vestige of those malicious district maps can be swept away.

Republicans Wake to a Blue Virginia

Republicans’ largest donor was the Republican State Leadership Committee ($3.2 million), a national group that supports state-level races, the value of which became clear after sweeping Republican legislative victories in 2010, which led to Republican-drawn voting maps that have influenced power in the states and in Congress.

State senators, who serve four-year terms, had not faced voters since 2015, before Mr. Trump’s election. Many Republican senators who were considered most vulnerable occupied districts carried by Mr. Northam in 2017 and by three Democrats who flipped congressional races in 2018.

Another factor aiding Democrats was a court-ordered remapping of districts in southeast Virginia. In June, the United States Supreme Court upheld a lower court decision striking down earlier maps as racially gerrymandered. New maps shifted 425,000 voters in 25 districts. They more evenly distributed black voters, which gave Democrats an overall advantage, according to an analysis by the nonpartisan Virginia Public Access Project.

This year, the prospect of the 2021 redistricting after the next census was a quiet but powerful issue for both parties.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I didn't work on this - but I belong to a volunteer group called Tech For Campaigns that does digital work for Democratic Candidates. They've been focusing heavily on Virginia (at least if you go by my inbox) for quite some time. I'd like to think that they had some good results here.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It’s huge no matter where you live. And boy did I need some positive news — the poll showing the very narrow margins in Dems vs Trump in swing states has me freaked out.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
>> "As a rural AZ resident, it is frustrating that we have a democracy, in which the places with more voters have more influence."

Someone wants a return to monarchy...
In other words, American born citizens in multi ethnic neighborhoods don’t deserve the vote, only white people in red caps who drive pickups do, provided they aren’t in Maricopa County.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Only because the Kentucky GOP didn't support his stance. They, surprisingly to me, told him to put up or shut up.

GOP won’t let Kentucky Gov Matt Bevin ‘overturn the election results’ to remain in office after losing
The recanvas resulted in a trivial change to the vote count. Beshear still had over 5000 more votes. At some point it becomes futile to argue if you don't have any actual evidence. Also, Republicans won all the other state-wide offices. It's a deep red state. So there is no evidence of vote tampering. Bevin is just wildly unpopular.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Trump campaigned heavily in support of the GOP candidate. To no avail.

"And as for the President, God bless his heart," Edwards said, which was met with laughs and cheers from the crowd.
:rimshot: