Rediscovering A Love For Second Life

Nadeja

SL Rez
I keep getting these urges to go back in but until they give me the ability to wrap my current skin (the creator is long gone from SL) around a mesh body I can modify, I won't be going in for recreational purposes.
Luckily there is Bakes on Mesh (BoM) now, that does exactly that, and there are (some) mesh bodies and heads and are modifiable. With those I was able to use my classic skin, even my alphas.
Just wear the BoM body on your classic look and you are set.
It works the same, but it looks better detailed.

Body:
Ruth is a free and mod bento-mesh body that doesn't make you "lag" (it's a low-poly body).
I was able to wear classic parts (skin, lots of tattoos and makeup per time, all the classic layers...), classic mesh/fitted-mesh (the alpha layer to wear works on this body), and some clothing made for Maitreya Lara and Slink Phisique (you can use alphas from other apparel or demos to fit more). A thing I don't like is a weird bump on the shoulders, but it's not so noticeable and long hair can cover that anyway.
Marketplace: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/RuthTooRC3-Bakes-On-Mesh-Female-Body/18174055
In-world: Blumfield
(there is also a male version)

Suggestion: edit the body-parts and under the Texture tab change the alpha mode from alpha blending to alpha masking (and enter a value of about 128). In that way alpha layers work and you won't have the typical glitches when alphas overlap (e.g. with hair).
Maitreya instead must have set their Lara body to no alpha... so, except the skin, their BoM stuff just doesn't work, and you can't fix it yourself because it's no-mod. Ruth instead works as it should.

Head:
BoM heads work in the same way, but you will probably have to adjust the shape to that specific head.
There are several heads that are BoM-compatible now. Sadly most of them are no-mod and for no apparent rational reason.
I know a couple that are mod, though:

(note: Ruth comes with an head too, and that one is pretty close to the classic, but with different slider positions and it doesn't work so well IMHO, nor it improves the look so much, so I'd rather keep the classic head istead).

- Normie is 500 L$, bento and mod, currently not BoM, but you can make it BoM yourself with just few clicks (Edit -> Texture tab -> click on the texture preview -> choose Bake and the appropriate part from the dropdown menu on the right).
This head is not of the super realistic kind (Utilizator makes anime products mostly), but it can give a look that's more consistent to your classic one. It is lightweight and it comes with talking animations too (when you type). However note that the inner eye corners point much more downward, check the demo; moreover, ears don't respond to the sliders (maybe they did that because of bento cat/fox ears, but there are the alt-left/right ears attachment points too now, let alone animesh, but I won't use animesh for that).
Marketplace: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/UTILIZATOR-Normie-Head/13071631
In-world: Peaceful Haven

- Sahara is 29 L$, bento and mod too. The shape is a bit strange and it has no animations. However I was able to put inside it the animations for a different head and make an ad-hoc script.
Edit: In-world slurl: Fredrix (go to the second floor, the Slurl points to the exact position).

Last edited:

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
Ruth??!!! I spent a lot of time Ruthed back in the day.. I actually begrudged LL hugely when they turned Ruth into a wispy cloud...
One of my many regrets is not taking pics of some of the places I landed in after a region restart. (I know it's a digression but they all seem to fall into the same thing - like head up butt or attachments there)

But thank you for the info. :hearts: I may just spend some quality time inworld checking it out over the next few days.. [@Brenda, I hope you've sent a hello by now - still nothing in my emails though]

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Conifer Dada

There's always time for another coffee.
SL Rez
As I said earlier I still have a system avatar and I'm happy that way. But after reading the thread above I gave the free Ruth bakes-on-mesh body and head a try and it's surprisingly good. When worn, the shape is not far off my normal system one. After a bit of playing with sliders I got closer still but it would take a while to get a really similar look. I put on my normal skin, which fits well apart from one or two areas where the texture would need amending - but since I created the skin myself that wouldn't be too difficult. The one criticism I have is that the butt sticks out too much, whatever I do with the sliders, which is fine if you want a big booty but I don't! But it's all free so it's great for experimenting and I'm sure it would be right for a lot of people. There was also a graphics glitch so that my avatar didn't cast any shadows, either on the ground or on itself, except when I was in appearance mode. When I close that window, the shadows disappear.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Ruth??!!! I spent a lot of time Ruthed back in the day.. I actually begrudged LL hugely when they turned Ruth into a wispy cloud...
One of my many regrets is not taking pics of some of the places I landed in after a region restart. (I know it's a digression but they all seem to fall into the same thing - like head up butt or attachments there)

But thank you for the info. :hearts: I may just spend some quality time inworld checking it out over the next few days.. [@Brenda, I hope you've sent a hello by now - still nothing in my emails though]
I have, a few times. Maybe it is going to the spam? A lot of my SL messages wind up there.

I might fiddle with the Ruth now we have Bakes on Mesh. I have a few old system clothes I still like.

Val

n00b!1
Joined SLU
03/07/2017
SLU Posts
I had the best time in SL from 2005 to 2008 and then RL hit me so when I got back in 2014 ... it was so very different. Suddenly everyone was their Facebook personas and trying to market themselves, actual events became malls that reopen every month with same recycled stuff and no one even talks in main chat channel. But I rejoined for an RP game that ended crashing and burning and took a lot of peopley fun out of SL for me. I always loved writing and worldbuilding and am slowly building a game with my RL husband (and hey, if no one plays it - we will on our own xD) . Nothing thus far really renowned my enthusiasm in social bit but I have creative sprees of working on RP sim or random picture ideas for Flickr. I guess, my initial experience with SL made me expect something similar - an open minded, creative community that likes making things happen and embracing all our differences. Yes, I know such people are here even on this forum and it is unlikely me and SL will ever part as we stuck for a over a decade together now. Sometimes even worst times online bring best things along with them as stumbled across my RL husband whilst pondering another long break.

I am sure that once we finish our sim, it will be a bit exciting again (with a bit frustration on side). Maybe. Glad people are seemingly also coming back or dipping in and out same as me. Also I think I really joined at right time as I do not recall SCommunity being particularly strict around mid 2000s but never been when it ended.

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Sl is mainly boring.
Has been for years.
But somehow I always turn back, sometimes after longer periods.
I think a shrink could make a few dollars out of this.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
I don't know that it's all that complicated, Sid. I think it's just sometimes fun, or even cathartic, to 'live' in a virtual world for a bit, even if only now and then. :) Just like RL, the excitement ebbs and wanes, but it's always a little escape.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pancake

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
eku having fun in the second video.
Actually yure kidnapped my avatar (logged into it while I was on discord with someone haha) and in cahoots with Sphynxie.. they secretly filmed that video..
at least it isn't a sex tape hahahaha.
But I am so proud of yure .. he has fallen in love with animating in Maya... and everyday brings some new development in his skills.

Yure4u Sosa

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Apr2009
SLU Posts
Actually yure kidnapped my avatar (logged into it while I was on discord with someone haha) and in cahoots with Sphynxie.. they secretly filmed that video..
at least it isn't a sex tape hahahaha.
But I am so proud of yure .. he has fallen in love with animating in Maya... and everyday brings some new development in his skills.

Sphynxie forced me to play and make me change song hahahaha