Reddit AMA with Philip Rosedale February 23, 2021

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Please don’t shoot the messenger kthx

Ever wanted to ask High Fidelity’s CEO and founder of Second Life, Philip Rosedale, about immersive audio, VR, avatars, or… anything else? Tomorrow is your chance!

Join Philip for a Reddit AMA tomorrow, Feb. 23, from 11am - 2pm Pacific on r/iAmA to ask him anything.

bubblesort

Please don’t shoot the messenger kthx

Ever wanted to ask High Fidelity’s CEO and founder of Second Life, Philip Rosedale, about immersive audio, VR, avatars, or… anything else? Tomorrow is your chance!

Join Philip for a Reddit AMA tomorrow, Feb. 23, from 11am - 2pm Pacific on r/iAmA to ask him anything.
This should be an interesting read. Thanks for the heads up!

I kind of have a feeling like VR is going to have another perennial bloom of media hype soon. VR chat has been quietly developing in the background, the financiers have been talking about VR a bit in interviews, and the tech giants keep signaling that they want to bring down the cost of VR headsets. I highly doubt the hype this year will hit critical mass powerfully enough to reach escape velocity and give us mainstream VR, but you know, it's possible. It's bound to happen some day.

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This should be an interesting read. Thanks for the heads up!

I kind of have a feeling like VR is going to have another perennial bloom of media hype soon. VR chat has been quietly developing in the background, the financiers have been talking about VR a bit in interviews, and the tech giants keep signaling that they want to bring down the cost of VR headsets. I highly doubt the hype this year will hit critical mass powerfully enough to reach escape velocity and give us mainstream VR, but you know, it's possible. It's bound to happen some day.
I think VR is one of those things like 3d home TVs, human-like AI, and flying cars. Great idea, fascinating technical challenges, but always too impractical, awkward, dangerous and insufficient to really 'make it big'. Niche markets for enthusiasts exist for each, sure, but the entry level is out of reach for most and the return on investment is very low.

If a big breakthrough comes and doesn't land before the lockdown lifts, it's going to struggle as people turn their back on online captivity in droves.

• 2Agree
Reactions: bubblesort and Sid

bubblesort

Why on earth would I like to ask him something?
He is huge on HMDs now, so I asked him why an SL content creator like me would want to develop for HMDs. I figure, the guy might not be the best CEO, but he is an awesome salesman. If he can't make a good pitch for somebody like me to develop on HMDs, nobody can. His response was that I should hold off on developing for HMDs for a while, and stick to traditional screens for now. I don't know why anybody wants an HMD if nobody develops for them, but you know, it's good to know where the HMD advocates are on this. It's pretty safe to say those of us who still make stuff in SL aren't really missing out on much by not developing stuff for HMDs.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Sid

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I did try the oculus rift devkit2 HMD in SL briefly... was laggy as hell but still kind of awesome walking through some of my more complex particle displays, and seeing them rendered with depth. Neat as a novelty but the awkwardness of using a mouse/keyboard with an HMD probably doomed that line of development.

• 1Agree
Reactions: bubblesort

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
We can find more practical application, actually have more need, for virtual presence than shiny picture perfect virtual reality. One thing Star Wars gets right is holograms. They suck but nobody cares because they’re good enough to represent presence, facial expressions (given the species has a face), body language and all.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: bubblesort

bubblesort

We can find more practical application, actually have more need, for virtual presence than shiny picture perfect virtual reality. One thing Star Wars gets right is holograms. They suck but nobody cares because they’re good enough to represent presence, facial expressions (given the species has a face), body language and all.
I never even considered messing with holograms before. That's a great idea! My pixel already has a radar chip that's supposed to help with facial recognition (which I never use), but I bet that could be used to replicate my face as a hologram. I think I remember reading that that sensor is difficult to access, to stop people from making radar jammers, but whatever... it's worth looking into, if I can get my hands on a hologram projector. Do cheap hologram projectors exist? I'll have to look into this.

Mona Eberhardt

M-Doll 0809A
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec. 26, 2012
SLU Posts
When I had started with SL on my first account way back in 2006, His Holy Philipness was bullshitting everyone with claims that SL would become the "3D web" and that it'd replace the web as we knew it. Even then, I knew he was full of shit: the cost of entry for SL (or for any virtual world, actually) is far higher than the cost of entry for the generic web, and the way web services and pages are implemented and rendered in SL is half-arsed, to say the least. Also, a jaded, cynical bitch like me doesn't like the "it's YOU, the potential customer, that must justify your lack of need for a virtual world, not I, the seller" attitude. His whining when people didn't flock to his High Fidelity (ROFLMFAO) platform doesn't help his image, either. Given all that, I can't say I felt the urge to rush to participate in his AMA.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There will need to be a convincing business or rule 34 use case before it can become what its promoters want it to be. Look, we can videophone pretty easily now but most telecom usage is either voice or messaging. Technology ability does not guarentee adoption.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
A link to an app that'll help unblock you that your "friend" wrote is fine, too.
They just need you to input their email into your reddit account or pass them a code, right?

• 1Pie
Reactions: Free