Reactions to the Oculus Quest

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
This song went on entirely too long and I was a ball of sweat by the end. I put an avatar in the corner to show how much it makes you swing your arms.
That looks amazing!

Only I don't think I could do that in a million years. Does it come with options for slower pace? Like... a waltz maybe.... or a folksong? I have this vision of running out to buy Oculus Quest today, strapping it on to play Beat Saber and never getting past the first two blocks.

My wife is no help at all in making this momentous decisions. She said: "Oh ffs, just get it."

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well, I think I will go to a demonstration somewhere in the near future if there are nearby dealers who offer that possibility.
I haven't played games in years (excluding SL being a game) but I need to see for myself, I think. To get a better judgment if it could be something for me or not.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
My local Best Buy wasn't out of Oculus Quest -- they don't even stock it. So much for impulse buying.

• 1Aww
Reactions: OrinB

Adeon Writer

That looks amazing!

Only I don't think I could do that in a million years. Does it come with options for slower pace? Like... a waltz maybe.... or a folksong? I have this vision of running out to buy Oculus Quest today, strapping it on to play Beat Saber and never getting past the first two blocks.

My wife is no help at all in making this momentous decisions. She said: "Oh ffs, just get it."
Songs can come with up to five difficulty levels (my video is the hardest out of the 5 which puts a block on pretty much every note of the song, easier difficulties do only major beats)

You can also just straight up change the speed of the song at any difficulty, but I don’t recommend it because the songs in slow motion sound really funky.

The song I’m using here was a downloaded one, they provided a level editor for people to make their own and share them. So the library of music available really depends on the whim of the content makers, and naturally it tends to mostly be music that people in their 20s/30s like☺

PC version (the one I’m using) already have the update and the quest should be getting it soon.

The full song catalog is available on BeatSaver.com (song downloads are free in-game), and they are constantly adding to it. There is a community that takes requests to map out songs.

I wish the game could do it automatically to your own music but I guess it would make for lackluster levels.

• 1Like
Reactions: OrinB

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
That looks amazing!

If it is any consolation, I suck at the demo level on easy lol. It is still fun though. I've not bought the full game yet but I probably will.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There is not a single Oculus Quest in all of Beeboville. I know because I've spent all morning looking for one. BestBuy never had them in stock. /The Walmart website showed one available for purchase in the local store, but when I got there no one had any clue what it was or where it might be, and their inventory records didn't bring one up. Amazon is sold out. GameStop is sold out, online and in local stores.

Nonetheless, I persisted.

I'm now theoretically the owner of an Oculus Quest purchased from a Best Buy in a neighboring city, some 30 miles away. I say theoretically because there was only one left in the store, and I've paid for it, but I haven't physically picked it up yet. After lunch, I'm headed out on the road. Wish me luck!

Vaelissa Cortes

SL Rez
I really really want a demo. No matter how many descriptions I read, it's still an experience that my imagination doesn't quite grasp. The co-worker of mine who won an Oculus Go door prize at the last office Xmas party promised to bring it in so I could try it, but hasn't so far.
Demoing VR is really the only way to get a proper idea of what it's like, watching videos and reading up about it is not very useful in my opinion since it's impossible to capture the immersion. I don't know about your area, but at a few malls here there are floor booths with white pod chairs where you can try on and play VR games, maybe there's something like that near you.

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Demoing VR is really the only way to get a proper idea of what it's like, watching videos and reading up about it is not very useful in my opinion since it's impossible to capture the immersion. I don't know about your area, but at a few malls here there are floor booths with white pod chairs where you can try on and play VR games, maybe there's something like that near you.
I just jumped in and bought the Quest today. It is, indeed, impossible to describe.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Vaelissa Cortes

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Among the freebies I downloaded earlier this evening was roller coaster rides. What was I thinking? I was sick within about the first min and bailed soon after. I can still feel the effects a 1/2 hour later.

Beat Saber, on the other hand, didn't bother me at all. Talk about a workout! I can see the biggest problem for me will be to not overdo it. I'm gonna be sooooo sore tomorrow.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Definitely try this if you haven't:

It is so freaking cute.

• 1Aww
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Adeon Writer

Yeah. Stick with games that have no artificial locomotion. Artificial movement on your first day is a big no. And a roller coaster, well.

I've put 2000+ hours in and i still won't touch them, lol.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
BTW Beebo Brink don't be alarmed if you experience some visual weirdness after using VR. It is normal. When I first used my Rift, words on paper seemed to have an odd depth to them when I would look at them. I thought I was crazy, but it is a normal phenomenon that wears off as your brain gets used to VR.

Sid

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I know you don't need a computer to use a oculus quest, but can you plug it in on a pc to play the Window 10 orientated stuff as well, let's say have a peek at Sansar?

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I know you don't need a computer to use a oculus quest, but can you plug it in on a pc to play the Window 10 orientated stuff as well, let's say have a peek at Sansar?
No. I heard though that Oculus was experimenting with being able to do so but supposedly have no plans to make it public.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Beebo Brink

Resident Grouch
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
BTW Beebo Brink don't be alarmed if you experience some visual weirdness after using VR. It is normal.
To my relief, I haven't had any trouble with the Quest, except after my peek at roller coasters. In fact, I've been quite reckless, despite my resolve to take it slowly, ease in, keep sessions short. HA!

Beat Saber is addicting. I'm still playing with the demo game, but will probably buy the full version in the next day or two. Let's just say that exercise and I are not usually not the best of friends, but I LOVE beat saber. I'm going to have to buy one of those face cloths because I've actually started sweating after a game.